suggestions for 1 year video

My one year yoyo video is coming up here on january 16th and I was wondering if there is any advice on making a video or improving my skills at the last minute. I would also like some good ‘legal’ music and creative ideas. Any advice at all is welcome. I will post my half year video here so you can see if i need to improve on anything.

btw if this is some other random video, please tell me because I cannot tell. Anyway, I am a lot better now, but I can only come up with tricks related to the White Buddha area if you will. I am also looking for advice to make more complex tricks. thank you! :slight_smile:

your filming was decent enough. the only recommendation i would give is to zoom in a little. it is harder to see a trick from so far away.

trickwise,i would have to say stop learning tricks, and start smoothing them out. even though the video was from almost 6 months ago, i have seen something like this happen for almost 2 years.

your tricks are choppy and need to be smoothed out. this can be done in a few steps. these steps can get frustrating and at first seem to make no imporvement, but then you will see your video and realize how much it helped.

first, shorten your string. i know that a lot of players then to use longer string than they should, but i can almost garentee that they all started with shorter string and then switched to longer string. with shorter string, you can string (pun) your tricks together faster and easier, and without worrying about hitting the yoyo on the ground.

second, use a responsive yoyo for about a month. this may seem like strange advice, considering that all pro players these days use unresponsive yoyos (well besides 2a players… and ed). your tricks look lurchy and rough. a responsive yoyo will come back to your hand with too much of a lurch. this will force you to fix this by smoothing out your play. a short month helped me out and now i am doing whips with a tightened xconvict.

last, practice the tricks you learn. a lot of people see a trick in a tut, try it until they get it, then move on to the next one. that is not how you learn. you need to get it right a lot before you get good at a trick. i bet i have done the same trick hundreds of times, and i still practice it over and over. landing the trick for the first time is only a quarter of the battle.

and about music, anything works as long as it doesn’t have imagery of bad things. if it has a few swears, just put a language warning on it.

I agree, while it may be for slightly different reasons. Especially with someone your size, a longer string requires larger hand/arm movements, which looks fairly awkward. I would suggest shortening the string because, as stated above, thrice will be faster and easier, and it will look smoother as well

thanks for the advice. I have a lot of tricks i know i can use that aren’t in my 6 month, but i guess i can practice tricks i already know. I can understand that because sometimes i just want to make up my own tricks, but i can’t and am forced to continue practicing the ones i already know. I have shortened my string once before and i didn’t feel very comfortable. I could tell it was easier and faster, but not exactly comfortable after being used to a long string. I am not sure how much help a responsive yoyo will do. Is this to practice doing hard tricks on a cheap yoyo? I am confused. I’ll try and reread that paragraph.

work on boingy boingy, your hand looked like it was movine horizontal instead of vertically.

I’m not going to do that trick in my video but okay.

Practice with a shorter string. It will feel weird at first, but I don’t think it will take that long to get used to. As for the responsive yoyo, responsive does not mean cheap. I recently put a new response pad in my Excalibur, and it’s responsive, however it is not cheap. There are many ways to make a yoyo responsive, such as thick lube or new pads, so just try one of those

I have shortened my string and it really helped. I have an 888 and a starlite as my yoyofactory yoyos. I have yoyofactory pads in two kinds. yellow and red. Are either of them responsive?

Red response pads from YYF? Anyways, the yellow is unresponsive, though you have to break it in because it’s a bit responsive at first, and (I say this a lot) hopefully you’ll have different trick elements in you video, since a LOT of people have the same problem.

I have never seen the red pads before. I got them for free of a long story about my starlite. I am not so sure if my tricks are as ‘lurchy’ as they were before. I thind that will be fine.

well just make the video and we can give more up to date tips. the video is to show off where you are as a yoyoer in 1 year. but for the responsive yoyo tip:

with unresponsive yoyos, you can do tricks really sloppily and it will still be fine. they will look bad, but sometimes that is harder to realize when doing the trick. with a responsive yoyo, there is less room for error because it snags. it will force you to smooth out tricks. i even practice some whips on responsive yoyos.