One of the saddest moments

You’d cry if you saw my collection up close. Lol specially my nickel dunk.

3 Likes

I apologize for my last post. I actually kinda agree with the point that retail shouldn’t be in one’s mind when yoyoing.

Man when I mess up one of my yoyos I can’t get it out of my damn head all day.

2 Likes

Scratched the ano of my blue Valkyrie a little bit and I was nearly fuming for the rest of the day

2 Likes

My first dings (old pic/yoyo)

Looking at it now, the scuffs are barely noticeable. I was more upset because it was a gift and it happened less than 24 hours after opening it. I was practicing Follow (and I wasn’t very good at it yet) and the string loop around my finger loosened, causing it to come flying off my finger and roll into a chair. Still played like a champ though.

Eventually, I traded it, so someone else around here has it and I hope they get many more dings out of it.

7 Likes

I think that is the very first Rebellion yo I’ve seen. For a cheaper alternative to YYR they sure seem rare

Dang man some of you are so cold lol

5 Likes

I’m super new to the forum and to this hobby but one thing I really like about yoyos is that the cost for entry is remarkably low. That is, you can get a good to excellent yoyo for little money.

I think we’re saying the same thing here, but I’d add that most new drivers aren’t buying Kias because they know they’ll ding them but because it’s what the can afford.

5 Likes

I agree that you can get a quality yoyo for low cash. It just irks me slightly when people are beginners and buy a really nice expensive yoyo. They don’t really know how to bind yet they, don’t know any tricks and their coordination with a yoyo is really low. It’s inevitable that it will get scuffed and gouged good and proper and they will be upset about it.

This is worse, though; people who encourage beginners to buy a brand new yoyo at $100 or more saying nonchalant things like, ‘Yeah why not? Go for it! Get that titanium throw!’ I really dislike that.

Get something cheaper to develop your basic skills and coordination, and then build up to something more premium. That’s just wise.

4 Likes

Actually a titanium probably would be the best choice because they hardly get damaged in impact most of the time.

I both agree with you (beginners shouldn’t buy expensive yoyos) and don’t.

This because, a lot of the time when i buy a yoyo I’m buying it because it seems like i MIGHT like it.

But i have no way of knowing because i can’t go to a physical store and try them beforehand. I buy them to try them out and see if i like them enough…if during that trial period I find out i don’t like it as much and it gets damaged which hurts the sales value then that’s a loss to me.

Now I’m a big boi with a big boi job and everything so to me personally it’s usually not too big of a deal.

But there are plenty of people who have to sell a yoyo to be able to afford one they HOPE they’ll like better.

This is the reality of internet based hobbies.

This could be avoided if you get to try out the throws from someone’s collection, but few of us are in a position where we can do that on a regular basis.

4 Likes

Ultimately, “expensive” is relative and for some scuffing a $20 yoyo is the same as scuffing a $100 yoyo.

I’m a real hobbyist and sometimes friends will come to me to ask about things I’ve spent a lot of time and money on: which espresso machine should I buy? What’s a good first turntable? And when I reply I always feel a little uneasy because I don’t want to be a snob but I also know that my recommendations are not going to be the cheapest options on the market. I actually think about this often and one thing I’ll say is that most people are really receptive to my recommendations and I often tell myself that I’m not a snob because I don’t do any gatekeeping. People like hearing about a range of options and I see it as my responsibility to help them understand why a $100 turntable is going to be prohibitive why a $1,000 espresso machine is maybe overkill if they’ve not also invested in a quality grinder.

I’m sure we could talk in circles about this but I’ll finish by saying that when I posted elsewhere that I’m a yoyo newbie and that I ordered the new One Drop, it felt nice that all of the responses I got were basically “that’s awesome!” and not “that’s too nice for you.”

7 Likes

I disagree.

Nowadays, the only time damage bothers me is when I don’t have sandpaper on hand to make it playable again.

I understand that many people are active in the BST and try to make sure their yoyos stay in mint condition for trading and resale.

I am very active in the BST. When a yoyo is dinged, it really drops in worth from what I see. I take advantage of this and have gotten some great deals on damaged throws. They play great. Yes, the catch 22 is they don’t hold a ton of value when I try to unload them, but I didn’t pay a premium for them either. And I get to play them without allowing the potential of damage to impact my playstyle.

I understand we are all different, the above is me. On my first throw of the Eetsit End 2, I got a couple love marks. It was my fault, they shipped with a super long string and I didn’t check. No biggie.

4 Likes

My first metal yoyo was a One Drop Top Deck after only 6 months of throwing, based on the recommendations of internet strangers. I have no regrets.

4 Likes

You are fundamentally incorrect in your assertion that people who are buying cheaper things are doing so because they’ve not ascertained the skills or appreciation for a nicer version of the thing they’ve purchased. People who drive Mercedes are not better drivers and haven’t “leveled up” or earned the right to drive that car. I first read your car analogy as sarcasm and rereading it now as earnest is kind of hilarious.

I’d really madidate on why you get “irked” when new yoyoers buy expensive yoyos if you agree that secondary value of said yoyo is an irrelevant data point. All you’re saying then is that they’re unworthy which is, quite frankly, lame.

4 Likes

Elitism runs strong in the yo-yo community.

If you aren’t deemed good at yoyoing and collect anything with value it’s assumed you are in it for money.

2 Likes

Is… is there money in yoyoing?

A whole bunch of mine is in yoyoing lol

3 Likes

not really… its more like people assume its the same situation with Pokemon cards the last couple years.
Pokemon cards blew up when people found out they could camp out at target on restock day, buy an etb of hidden fates for 50 and flip it for 100 to the people behind them in line.

People aggressively hate scalpers, which they should with how common its become in many hobbies, but its not a problem in the yoyo community.

I very rarely come across this new age scalper in the yoyo community, yet a lot of people act like its taken over and the reason everything sells out so quickly.

Yoyo companies are just too small and can’t afford to make runs large enough for everyone to get it. Don’t blame the people who want to buy these hype products.

4 Likes

My worst was a Vulture. Smacked it on the concrete in Hawaii. I started using shorter string because of that, and turns out I like it better. Unfortunately, I still hit counters, chairs and the floor every so often. C’est la vie.

3 Likes