One Drop Starter Kit

If I only knew machining and had the equipment needed :hugs:

15 Likes

This is awesome! I’m glad they also added the CAD file since I wanted to make a yoyo with a side effect on it.

4 Likes

Love the warnings. It is only a bit heavier than my lead weighted mosquito. I would buy two but I cannot seem to find it in the store.

3 Likes

That’s true, let’s ask David @da5id and see if they still do this.

1 Like

I would also buy immediately if this were made available.

1 Like

I have a couple of gunsmith buddies with lathes and another friend with a bridgeport. I also have a couple of ideas that could be hand turned.
The only things that I would not be sure of is thermal fitting and anodization.

2 Likes

watching - this is so good!

3 Likes

We stopped doing that a long long time ago. It was kind of a disaster because people were assembling bad yoyos and selling them as “rare prototypes” and that kind of thing. We can’t have nice things, etc.

9 Likes

Thanks, it definitely sounded like a good idea.

Is there a version of the CAD file that’s in a format I can use in the free version of Fusion 360? It will let me upload it to the application, but I can’t open it or use it any way.

1 Like

I remember the fools doing that with the modder fodder parts but was not around for them doing the same with teh hackr. Another great thing ruined by dishonesty. May their throw hands fall off.

Is it worth discontinuing it just because of a few crooks though? I mean if someone lies about a yoyo they’re selling, it’s not your fault and doesn’t reflect badly on OD any more than fake Rolex watches reflect badly on the Rolex company.

Scammers will scam, it’s up to the buyer to do their research. I don’t have access to a lathe but I think these kits are too awesome to let the usual crop of weeds ruin it for the creative fellows.

Ivan

1 Like

Typically I’m trying to machine things in as few operations/setups as possible. This pretty much goes completely against that. What do I index off of? Is it a “rough shape” but concentric to a tolerance where a CNC machine can probe/touch off the raw profile? Is this a “good luck with the fixturing” type situation?

I get the approach of a “mod kit” but as someone who programs stuff like this it just doesnt make sense to me, personally.

That said I love the idea behind this :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like