What features would you have on your ideal yoyo?

I was thinking the other day about getting a router and a lathe and making some yoyos from scratch, but i dont want to make some run of the mill yoyo, i want to make something spectacular. What would you do to a yoyo if you made it yourself and what would be some features youd add? (Also any insight on the whole making yoyos thing would be deeply appreciated)download (4)

4 Likes

What would you use the router for?

3 Likes

Fine detail or etching that i cant do with the lathe. Nothing more than one of these baddies

3 Likes

Have you gone on YouTube and watched any yoyo making videos?

Somebody would have to write you a book to fill you in on making a yoyo correctly.

And saying you don’t want to make a run of the mill yoyo but something Spectacular.

…Is like saying you want to be an actor. But you don’t want to start your career by doing toothpaste commercials.

You want a lead role in an Action movie so you can win an Academy Award.

No doubt if I had the Miracle answers you are looking for… I prolly would have already used them myself🤔

Good luck…

7 Likes

Yeah ive seen a couple different ways of doing it but it usually requires expensive equippent and i dont feel like spending an arm and a leg. Id like to think with the tech at our disposal these days i shouldnt have to fork out too much to make quality yoyos. Maybe like 600 dollars or less?

2 Likes

And ofcourse i expect to not get it on my first few tries but id like to think i could make something on par to a magic yoyo with time, dedication, and tedious precision lol. And Thanks for the well wishes bro, ill make sure to keep the forum updated if i ever get the supplies i need to do this thing

2 Likes

I give you credit for wanting to take a try at yoyo making. I considered trying to make wooden yoyos on the cheap with a hole saw and dowels. For me, the idea never left the idea stage as I felt the need to prioritize my time between playing with yoyos or playing at making a yoyo. I also had no illusion that my hole saw yoyo would be anything I enjoyed playing.

That said, if you have the knowledge and skill, go for it. Everyone started somewhere. I believe One Drop made several of its early models on a mill and not a lathe.

Good luck!

4 Likes

What kind of lathe were you looking at?

Do you have a source of 6061-T6 round bar stock?

What’s your experience level with lathes and yoyo design so far?

4 Likes

ok just gonna spill my heart out

1. a orange/red and a blue/purple fade color way
  2. bimetal
  3. cheap (under75$)
  4. around the same shape as a butter
  5. 46mm width
  6. 54.5 mm diameter
  7. 66 grams
3 Likes

If you’re looking to hand turn a yoyo, @Glenacius_K is the pro at it. A lathe will still set you back quite a bit. And then the tooling you need will be even more. Don’t buy what those cheap CNC mills. They won’t be able to machine anything.

4 Likes

or i think @MarkD might be willing to machine ur yoyo (dont quote me i think hes offered it b4 thats all)

3 Likes

If I were to put my signature on the yoyo it would encompass these things:
V shape
about mid sized
64 or 65 grams- I like my yoyos light
feels smooth on the string
A horizontal and speed trick beast!!!

2 Likes

Not much on the way of experience unfortunately, i used to build houses so a yoyo cant be too bad. I feel like the idea is pretty self explanatory. I just have to be 100 percent accurate in weight and measurement. Ill probably try my hand at plastic first then work my way up to aluminum blanks.

1 Like

Ill keep that in mind good sir :upside_down_face: maybe a better mill?

2 Likes

You could get away with using a wood lathe and some practice. If you plan on turning metal, you’d need a metal lathe and a decent one can easily cost over a grand.

3 Likes

Im willing to fork out over a grand for a machine if it does everything i need it to. Any reccomendations? For like a specific model? I figured if anyone knows anything about making yoyos it would be the creative minds on this forum

2 Likes

Do not take it badly but I think that before worrying about which lathe to buy you should look for school books to start understanding what turning is, its laws and rules, equipment, tools and their characteristics … the mathematical formulas for calculate the speed of advancement and the depth of passage based on the tools, material, diameters … how to use precision measuring instruments (comparators, micrometers, etc. etc.)
There are also many forums for machine tool professionals with very useful discussions and tutorials to understand and understand.
There is a world of things to know before turning on a switch if you do not want to do serious damage to the machine and above all to yourself.

4 Likes

Me :rofl:

7 Likes

^ I’d cop!

4 Likes

Haha I want one for myself. Don’t think I’d ever sell one like that though even for me that’s too narcissistic but yeah going in my private collection :laughing:

4 Likes