What features would you have on your ideal yoyo?

I figure it would take a bunch of practice. And im cool with learning new things, i just feel like if i had the tools at my disposal i would be able to take a hands on approach as well as hitting the books. Ive been learing more about aerodynamics in the past few weeks as i get more invested in this idea, and i figure ill start with plastic so im not wasting alot of money or destroying an expensive machine on accident. Ive put alot of thought into this and i know it can be daunting for someone with no experience but i have the drive and patience to learn and hopefully succeed. Id like to one day be able to open up my own shop on a strip and introduce people to the hobby and it would be awesome to be able to make custom yoyos in house to add to that, maybe do lessons? Idk guys thats not a dream outside the realm of possibility is it?

1 Like

I feel like your expectations are incredibly high.

Your goal should be to create a functional yoyo.

4 Likes

first thing you should do is pick out a name, like any good dj :rofl:

5 Likes

You could totally do that on the custom Californias!

4 Likes

Enthusiasm and desire to do are the first ingredient.
I wish you good luck and many satisfactions!

1 Like

Well ofcourse thats my first goal. I mean i just hope with time i can eventually be as good as any other yoyo company and ill reasonably aspire to do better and better. Like i keep saying, i know it will take a decent amount of time and effort but i have mad passion and free time im willing to throw at just that

1 Like

Iā€™m not trying to put you off, Iā€™m just trying to set your expectations to something likely.

Making yoyos is hard. Even experienced machinists struggle to make a smooth yoyo. Yoyos are made to higher than aerospace grade specifications. Iā€™ve been laughed out of many factories when I tell them the tollerances needed to create a smooth yoyo so thereā€™s good reason that only a few places actually make them.

Again, Iā€™m not trying to put you off trying it. I wish you good luck.

2 Likes

Thanks man. I appreciate the honesty. I just wish i could talk to the people that founded like magic yoyo or onedrop or something cuz im sure that atleast one of those companies started with a guy who just wanted to make a quality yoyo and made it happen.

The One Drop guys are not secret agents with secret identities. No one in the yoyo-making industry is. Just reach out. Never hurts to try.

1 Like

I know, its just daunting sometimes. I feel like when people get high up enough in the world they tend to forget about the little guy, especially if that little guy wants to start a buisness doing the same thing essentially creating more competition for themselves. Also i feel like most companies would have their contact info just go to customer support instead of the ā€œhead honchoā€ but i guess ur right, it never hurts to try.

Nothing is impossible. If I were you Iā€™d scour the internet for all the info you are seeking and try reaching out to as many people as you can. Check out the book ā€œHow to Run a Boutique Yoyo Company.ā€ The author Jeremy MacKay runs Rain City Skills and writes about dealing with machine shops and bringing his unique visions to fruition. I will never discourage you. Making a precision yoyo may be a lot more difficult than building a house. Collecting as much information as possible would be a good first step. If this is your dream, go for it.

2 Likes

It truly is, and i appreciate everyones words of wisdom

1 Like

Hi Min! If you want this you could just get a blank shutter and take it to a local laser engraving company that takes custom orders.

3 Likes

@Xanadu & @mynameisjoey

Haha, thanks guys, so maybe I should add a little background to why I am suddenly being so narcissistic, or even more so than normal should I say. :joy:

So basically what happened was I purchased a YYF Adventure edition Shutter from their A-May-Zing sale B-grade drop yesterday.

One of these if you are not familiar with them.

And on the YYF Instagram Live session, @yyfben2.deactivated said something along the lines of ā€œoh I put up Adventure Shutters, but they donā€™t exist and someone already bought one before I took it down, I have some black shutters so I guess I could engrave this on there for them, but I didnā€™t mean to create more workā€

I was also on the live watching, so I messaged in chat that I am more than happy to cancel the order if it makes it easier/simpler for Ben. And Ben said something along the lines of ā€œoh Minsok, youā€™re the one who copped it? I can do a custom engraving on here for you if you likeā€ so thatā€™s why I got thinking about it.

I know it is super narcissistic but at the same time, when am I ever going to get the opportunity to create a personalised yoyo like this direct from the mecha itself (other than Californias, you can custom those right now btw guys, at YYF). So if I got a random design on there it will be like buying any other yoyo out there so for my own private collection I kind of wanted a ā€œMeā€ yoyo.

So my friend @Basedsamuraij is helping me design the etching as he is a wicked graphics designer, who knows yoyos, and knows me well. And then I am going to send it to Ben and see if he can etch them on.

Iā€™m super grateful for Benā€™s offer and really appreciate him for going through the extra effort for me, whilst creating more work for himself.

So currently the mockups looks something like this, but itā€™s still being worked on by Jay. :grin:

Side A :

Side B :

Haters gonna hate, but I have been having so much fun with the idea, and Iā€™m happy :slight_smile:
Also, I think Jaydonā€™s done an awesome work already capturing what I want on paper.

4 Likes

To be fair, One Drop was already an established machine shop when Colin walked in and asked them to machine a yoyo for a school project years ago. They had 10s of thousands of dollars worth of equipment at their disposal. Not to mention the amount of experience and knowledge they had as machinists. The best place to start for ya without going broke is to pick up some kind of benchtop wood lathe, and start with some wooden yoyos, then working your way up to plastic when you get some practice.

5 Likes

Do it man!! Especially if Yyfben is gonna help you. Thats dope!!

3 Likes

@Nawcegamma, one option you might want to look into is to see if thereā€™s a local makerspace or machine shop that offers classes on machining, operating a lathe, CNC programming, etc. That way you can learn all about that side of manufacturing without having to invest in your own tools - and when it comes time to set up your own workshop, youā€™ll have a better idea of what you need, and youā€™ll have people you can talk to who could help.

In addition to that, thereā€™s a long thread about yoyo design/CAD work that I started in 2018 that has a lot of discussion and links to resources: Yoyo CAD & Prototyping Adventures

You can learn yo-yo design pretty much for free* with your computer.

* note: there is a big time investment

4 Likes

A hard v shaped yoyo with no steps or curves, like the YYR fragment but with a 65mm diameter. Maybe not an ideal yoyo but it would be fun

1 Like

A fingerspin cup/bowl, a smooth bead-blasted finish for grinds, a nice large catch zone, and powerful spin.

2 Likes