One Drop presents the Rally

Looks great!

bummer, I was hoping it was some sort of plastic making machine and One Drop would be churning out some more plastics between metal releases.

Additional picsā€¦

Well, I said a ā€œcloserā€ analogy, not dead on. But in any case, Iā€™m sure Kleenex and Puffs are not exactly the same either, in terms of what is used to make them, but the point was that the two are ā€œbrands,ā€ not that what makes them up is exactly the same. They are both brands of Polyoxymethylene, and Kleenex and Puffs are both brands of tissue. That word ā€œcloserā€ means that I knew they were not both made of the exact same thing. But, Iā€™m not sure if it is ever the case when comparing ingredients of any two brands. Thatā€™s a spin off thread in any caseā€¦back to the Rally folks.

How was the decision made on the name of the throw? Why The Rally?

Um; what logic leads to that conclusion?

Tightrope walkers use wide poles for stability; not narrow ones. Cars with a wide wheelbase is inherently more stable than those with a narrow wheelbase.

My reasoning says: Narrow => unstable.

I agree with Geezer on this, to an extent.

But, it doesnā€™t look that Narrow to me Yomagic.

Does anyone know the width?

And we all know how reasonable you are. :-\

The SPYY was pretty darn stable in my opinion and it was narrow. I will reserve judgment on this until I play it since we are talking about uncharted territory for One Dropā€¦ not that I am too worried about it. Knowing how strict their standards are I am sure they sourced a top notch American manufacturer for the plastic body.

1 Like

I gotta admit, I didnā€™t see this coming. Iā€™m very pleasantly surprised! It would have been cool to see swappable weight rings though. Iā€™d like to see brass or something like that for extra power.

2 Likes

Been waiting to see this.
So gld to see you guys made it happen.
High five to my brothers!

Agreed! Looks like fun!!

Looks like side effects indeed!

You have forgotten to take rotational inertia and angular momentum of a spinning yoyo into account when considering the comparison to a long, static stick or a fixed wheel track, therefore, your argument is incomplete, at best.

db

2 Likes

I donā€™t think those are side effects they look like a axles system similar to stax because they donā€™t look interchangeable with normal side effects due to it not having the normal hub.

Exactly. Your comparison would only work if you were trying to use it for thinner string, in which case your argument would still be nonsense. The tightrope walker has NO centrifical force which makes a big whole in your analogy. Sorry Geezer, but no xD

A Generic less expensive similar SE type thingy :P.

It would be cool if they made a second response/bearing section so it could also accept small bearing.

One Drop plastic and CLYW plastic being released at the same time!!! I donā€™t know which to get! I wont be able to get both. AHHHHHHHH!

Hey all, a few random bits of info:

1. The width is 43mm (1.69"). Thatā€™s a 74% width/diameter ratio which is the same as many of the yoyos we already make.

2. The axle caps are constructed using 7075. They will be anoā€™d in production and are replaceable should you strip them.

3. The first run will be in an aqua blue which has a little more green than the blue protos youā€™ve seen around. The rings and axle caps will be anoā€™d black.

4. Subsequent runs will be in different colored plastic and hardware and perhaps have slightly different shapes and weights.

4 Likes

So cool!!! Thanks man!!!

The new machine makes Side Effects and all the hardware for the plastic yoyo. Donā€™t worry, we will be making tons of Rallys :slight_smile:

1 Like

If you can only get one at the time of release then i would get the CLYW. Youā€™re more likely to be able to get your hands on a Rally later as Onedrop tend to do larger runs more often (and we love them for it!), whereas I can imagine the Yeti selling out rather quickly and it being a while before the next run due to them seeking out new plastics that can be coloured.

Personally, I like the look of the Rally more than the Yeti and considering this is machined and not injection moulded, I think it will probably play better. Although Iā€™ve been wrong beforeā€¦

I plan on picking up both at any rate although I donā€™t favour my chances of getting a Yeti as theyā€™re sold directly off the CLYW site which Iā€™ve heard takes forever to ship even to the US so I donā€™t fancy my chances across the pond. Iā€™m not even sure that the CLYW site ships internationalā€¦

Either way, this is a GORGEOUS throw. :smiley: