One drop needs hubstacks

Hey all,
I thought some of you may enjoy seeing this. I like hubstacks and since they are hard to come by for one drop yoyos I decided to create some. This is work in progress since I ordered a bunch of parts which did not show up till today. But the prototype state looks promising. What are your fav hubstacks?

33 Likes

Yo, this is dope. You have any videos of it in action?

6 Likes

Hey Roy,
I did not make a video till today since I was not aware that it could be interesting enough. But if so I will make one the next days and post it here.

5 Likes

Great idea!

3 Likes

Since I did not know what people expect from a Hubstack video I just show it spinning. Click image below for a instagram video.

12 Likes

This is great :ok_hand:. I was just curious to see how well it worked and it looks like it gets the job done quite nicely. Thanks for taking the time to upload a video :pray:

2 Likes

Nice! I played around with modeling some too but haven’t actually printed them to be functional. I like your split bearing cap idea! Mine was the opposite, the bearing was on the post of the side effect and the “hubstack” press-fit into it, basically how the YYF ones were. Yours is pretty neat because you could totally print different caps with a concave divot or different textures.

3 Likes

Hardest part was actually to get them vibe free. Which they are not 100% but very close.

3 Likes

That’s a really cool design. The one thing I’ve always wanted in a hubstack is a fairly generous dimple or dish shape, a lot like the lego finger spin pieces Rain City Skills sells. The closest I’ve found are the old werrd jimmy hats, which are big enough to make fingertip catches doable and don’t seem to as prone to vibe as yyf’s Z stacks, probably because they are a bit smaller and are made out of some very stiff plastic. Sadly they are very difficult to find. See pic lower right for the jimmy hats on a xxxl.

I’m curious if you’ve noticed much impact from moving all the center weight of the bearings further out from the from the axle?

5 Likes

Hey @d34dj3d,
regarding the impact on the play. It is definitely different but not bad. It actually feels very stable. It introduced a very light vibe but that is I guess due to the fact that I have no o-rings install currently.
I thought it would be way worse because of the big C bearings. I also got my order of A bearings now but I am actually pretty happy with the result.
If you send some detailed pics of the hubstacks it would be fun for me to model them and try them out.

3 Likes

OK, I’ll get some photos to you tonight.

1 Like

Great thanks

Man. I miss Werrd so much.

werrd_stack11a

8 Likes

Thanks @cowmamba,
pretty sure we can at least bring back their hubstacks :grin:
Will update this post when I had time to build them

4 Likes

Hey @d34dj3d @cowmamba,
Any comments on this shape.
2.5 cm wide / 1.5 cm high / a-bearing

8 Likes

I didn’t manage to grab pictures last night, thankfully @cowmamba came through. Mine measure 2.5 cm across, which is a good size. I like your design. I’ll be very curious to see how it comes out.

1 Like

It is printing right now. I will post pictures in an hour.

4 Likes

Here we go. Plays very nice - big and easy to catch :+1:

IMG_0001

12 Likes

This is awesome but I am confused.

Do the printed bits attach to the SEs or replace them somehow?

2 Likes

Yes I replace them completely.

2 Likes