One Drop Kraken. Anyone have one? Thoughts?

I never see it mentioned here…

2 Likes

It’s one of my favorite ODs. Big but not too big. Bubbly soft edges and floaty feel. You’ll like it.

6 Likes

I have one and I don’t really play with it much as I’m not a big fan of oversized yoyos. The Kraken is pretty stable and long spinning thanks to it’s shape, but with that power comes the issue of kickback (a problem that plagues many oversized yoyos) which takes a while to get used to. I don’t find it floaty, light or nimble, it feels more hefty and solid but still moves around relatively easily on the string. As OneDrop says, “In Terraria, the Kraken has “infinite spin”. We honestly didn’t think it’d be fair to other yo-yo companies to apply the “infinite spin” modifier to the real life Kraken, so we gave it just enough spin for you to pull off your favorite tricks.” which is quite true to how the Kraken plays and feels on the string (very powerful). Funny how they didn’t say the same thing for the Terrarian and Legendary Terrarian even though the Terrarian also has “infinite spin” in Terraria (Legendary is a weapon modifier for the Terrarian).

3 Likes

Its big. Its beautiful. Its perfection. Its worth adding to your collection for sure.

2 Likes

I have a Yeti and never felt kickback. Is the “kickback” you are referring to just a bigger yoyo coming back to your hand? I guess we are always adjusting to different feels of a yoyo returning to our hand - like going from a Heist to a Silenus to a lighter plastic to a medium sized. I have a Kraken coming so I guess I will find out firsthand. I debated for over a week on whether to get one.

3 Likes

The Yeti is not quite as large as the Kraken, about 2mm less than the Kraken in diameter. Usually, oversized yoyos that have a lot of rim weight and have a lot of power will suffer from kickback. This is why most oversized organics still feel pretty comfortable as they almost never run into the problem. Kickback is also the biggest problem when trying to make larger yoyos have more rim weight which is kinda why you don’t see oversized competition yoyos being the norm. Instead, wider and wider yoyos are becoming the norm as the yoyo’s width doesn’t really contribute to kickback while the diameter contributes a lot to it.

Kickback is a difficult phenomenon to describe, but it is very noticeable when throwing down the yoyo. It only happens when you throw the yoyo, catching the yoyo back in your hand still feels the same. When you throw a normal yoyo, you expect the yoyo to go at a certain speed and reach a certain point. When a yoyo suffers from kickback, the yoyo will always go much faster and also much further. On a front style throw, the yoyo will move backwards faster and will reach the bottom of the string much quicker, while on a side style throw, the yoyo will move upwards much faster and also unrolling much quicker, giving you less time to react in both situations. There’s also a distinctive “kick” from the yoyo when it happens and it just doesn’t feel like throwing a normal yoyo. Most people will find that the kickback is really only a big issue on a front style throw as the kickback of the yoyo allows you to throw sideways with more power than you would have and the loss in control is not much as you still have plenty of time to land the yoyo on the string due to the yoyo ending up higher, which makes it beneficial. I have never used the Kraken for horizontal or done a fingerspin on it (last time I played with it was the around the date of the below video) so I have no idea how kickback affects a horizontal throw. If you’re interested I can dig it out and try it tonight.

Here’s an old video of mine documenting it: Guys please help with my throw as I can’t really throw the big yo-yo properly and it flies backwards a lot faster than the smaller yo-yo which is quite an issue : Throwers (reddit.com)

7 Likes

Okay, thank you. I don’t do horizontal or have an interest in finger spins. I’m 6’ 1” and I guess my hands are big so maybe the Kraken won’t feel big at all. I understand what you are saying about the physics of it. I guess the experience will be an interesting one! Thank you everyone for your thoughts. I appreciate it.

2 Likes

I want one too now . For some reason I thought it was much bigger . The shape really appeals to me .

3 Likes

It’s definitely in my top 3 right now - it really is a great yo-yo and worth grabbing if you can!

I typically reach for my hummingbird or my kraken recently

It’s not really a similar to anything shape imo because of the kinda bulge design it has between rim and bearing

It it rounded and nice to catch like an organic but spins very closely to a bi metal - the finish (Saturday market) isnt the best for grinds but it’s doable even talon grinds

3 Likes

The shape looks similar to Retic’s Copperhead, to me anyway. I really enjoy the Copperhead, so I’ll have to give this guy a shot at some point.

1 Like

I got mine for collecting’s sake, and find myself throwing it WAY more than I thought I would be. Feels amazing.

1 Like

Kraken is nice. I think the comparison to the Metal Yeti is fair as far as shape and feel go. The size and diameter to width ratio reminds me a little of the Big Fun, too. My Kraken came in the recent mystery box release and was a pleasant surprise because I like the specs/size and I’d never used one before. Although it’s been on my “in rotation” stack for a few weeks, because it’s new and things have been busy (yoyo releases and everything else), it hasn’t fully made its impression yet. I will add lastly that it’s pretty stable even with the flat bearing in it. Half of my ODs have gotten shaped bearings because of my beginner’s plane control, but this one, the Lunar Eclipse, Free Solo kept their flat bearings (Fat Tire, Aitch and Panorama have gotten swapped for concave).

2 Likes

I’m surprised that you had to swap the bearing on the Aitch, I thought the Aitch was very stable already. Maybe it’s due to the narrow width causing the string to more easily touch the sides of the yoyo.

1 Like

I’m not sure I had to, but I was really excited about it and probably had some nice bearings from YYE arriving at the same time and one thing led to another…

1 Like

meh, lol… definitely not a bad yoyo, but in my specific experience I haven’t found it to be all that fun

Just ordered a Moon Lord splash, looks friggin gorgeous. Can’t wait!

4 Likes

I have one. I like it. I see nothing wrong It just does not have a personality that makes me want to play with it.

2 Likes

I don’t think it’s big enough. It’s slightly larger than standard but I don’t think of 60mm as oversized. I’d like to see something around 65-70 mm personally

3 Likes

Tracking says it’s arriving Monday so when it gets here on Thursday I will post my initial reaction.

7 Likes

The Mega Crash is the oversized yoyo for you. You can even do 4A with it!

1 Like