Next throw suggestions

Ok…still kind of an newish/intermediate player and getting ideas for my next throw.

I have:
OD+SF=SK
Silenus
Paolista (Thanks Wh0th3man!)
YYF Superstar Pivot

So far I really like the stability of the Silenus and it just has an ease of playability about it.
The only mild negative on this one is that I put Buddha R pads in it and sometimes it’s a hair slippy (using ZipLine bus. Class on this one).
I probably play this one the most.

I love my SK and it may be my favorite, but I like it so much, it stays at home and I try to only play it over carpet. So smooth, pretty stable and easy to get it to bind at the right times.

Birthday is coming up, so I’m shopping for my next.

Looked at:
Top Deck
Carpfin
Duncan oragami & grasshopper
MYY Stealth
OD Kraken (although kinda big)
Used Kuntosh (or K5K)
And a few others on the BST

I seem to like H-ish shapes or hybrids. The stability really helps with learning.
I’m not familiar with a lot of brands’ models so any suggestions would be very helpful!
Thanks in advance!

3 Likes

Oversized yo-yos are my jam right now. The Kraken is fun and I’m enjoying mine. But, doesn’t matter what I like :wink: getting new throws will always be somewhat of an experiment. Especially if you’re newer and don’t have a ton of experience playing yo-yos with different shapes and features. I will say that I did enjoy the top deck, but I tend to like all OD throws.

2 Likes

Yeah, just from playing the SK and the reviews on other OD’s, it seems like I would enjoy about all of ‘em.
The size of the Kraken would give me some variety because of the size. I think I remember the reviews saying it was very stable, too, so that’s helpful. There are colorways available that I dig, as well.

By the way…how are the bonds on that? The gap is a bit wider isn’t it?

The Kraken is a Excellent yoyo/choice.

Technically; its’ gap should not be your deciding factor. One Drop ‘never’ releases a new design without extensive in house testing and sponsored player feedback from all over the a world.

Slight deviations from a/the gap width you may prefer are easily remedied if necessary. Just by changing to a different string thickness or different string formulation can alter response. Bearing or treatment of bearing can alter response.

Do not fear a slightly wider gap. Unless you prefer playing responsive; wider gap is actually more functional for longer multi segment tricks. As long as you control your string/gap alignment; your movements can flow better with less hang ups.
…And one of the biggest mistakes newer players can make is not ‘recognizing the importance of mastering several different binds’. People seem determined to learn as swiftly as possible; yet are often not willing to spend much time getting a few binds ‘down’. Binds ‘are’ tricks😳.

Binds; to me; with the Kraken are excellent! It is an amazing design. Do not let negative suggestions or assumptions to exclude a Kraken from your consideration.

One Drop does not make bad yoyos.

Period😉

4 Likes

Top Deck FTW!!! Seriously- it spins gud

It’s as close to a bimetal as a mono-metal can get. Just a very solid throw all around. Very very thoughtfully designed yoyo, its like if a Cadillac was a yoyo; but under the hood it was secretly a Porsche. :grin:

1 Like

Thanks Doc!
I appreciate all the info. That really helps with how I look at things.
Funny you say that about binds…binds are my favorite part of in responsive play!
Good to hear so many good things about the Kraken. It’s really at the top of my list at this point.

Yikes man! You’re gonna make me end up with TWO new throws, lol.
I’ve read similar comments to yours about the Top Deck in other posts. It seems to get recommended…a lot!
I’ve seen a few here and there on BST’s for decent prices. I’d really like to grab this one as well.
The more I get into this past time, the more I see why everyone has so many throws, lol.

1 Like

Yeah, it’s really neat when you get to a point where you can actually start to feel the unique personality and play ability of each yoyo.

1 Like

What’s your opinion on your YYF Paolista? Is it worth a purchase? YYF just dropped the price and I’m on the fence.

I think so. I really like mine. I was throwing that one Monday and Tuesday actually!
I’m kind of biased, though, since I got mine used and as a gift. It was one of my first metal unresponsives!
(Yes, A friend on here sent me the Paolista and the B-Grade Superstar Pivot I bought got here the same day!)

I’d get it. It was stable enough for me to learn a lot on…even if it may seem a little narrow to some. To me it feels smooth on the throw…not the most powerful, but it does seem to spin a good while. It does play lighter and more nimble than a few of the other throws I have.
It sounds cool spinning too. :grin:

1 Like