on the hunt for a new yo!

Hi, so here I am, playing and having the time of my life on the velocity, this is an excellent yoyo for beginners, in a couple of days it improved my throw, my binds, my tricks, and my smoothness. Really there’s nothing wrong with this yoyo… other than the actual object.

Being approximately half way through intermediate tutorials and having a job, I wanted to buy one or more yo yos, but I’m very sensitive to the aesthetics of a yo yo as well as it’s relative rarity.

There are a few classics I’ll be picking up anyways, DM2 most likely, probably a virus (tried one, for the price they’re cool playing and cool looking), maybe a few parts to learn how to mod one of these.

But all in all, I’m on the hunt for less common (not saying “rare” either) yo yos, specially good looking ones.

There are a couple that caught my attention

• phenomizm: love the looks of it, but I don’t really know how it plays, I’ve seen reviews of it, of course, but still hesitating.
  • SR-71: fell in love with the looks, seems fairly cheap and well spec’d

Ideally, I’d like a stable and well built yo yo that can be fairly responsive (playing the velocity on full unresponsive now and I don’t like the way to make it responsive), as for response system, I don’t really care as long as I don’t ever see (or hear for that matter) starbursts again, ever.

I’d rather buy from a brand of dedicated yo yoers (YYJ?) and somehow support their dedication, I don’t care buying from modders too

there’s also something I lack feedback/info on and I feel like trying: wooden butterfly yo yo (tom kuhn?), I’m a very tactile person (as a musician, I almost exclusively play on vintage instruments and strongly dislike anyting “virtual”, I need to “feel” the personality of the object for playing it)

all in all, I’d like a yo yo that can be played rather slowly (I don’t really like, nor can I do faster tricks but yes, I don’t really like uber fast yo yo so I’m not going for that), no need for uber spin time as long as it’s enough to do some tricks out of a good throw.

size: I’d like to try rather large yo yos, or regular/medium size, no small sized yo yo for now

responsiveness: something that can be set as responsive would be nice, having the choice would be better (SR-71?) I feel like I need a responsive yo yo, I don’t really want one that bad, but I feel I have something to learn out of it and that I might have gone to full unresponsive play a bit too early.

rather large gap so I can stick some string in it, ideally a gap that would also allow my fingers to catch a knot inside without having to part out the yo yo every time I get a knot.

I’m open to offers on used yo yos as long as you ship to europe

PS: do YYE ship to europe ? (yes, I’ll try and find that out by myself too, but the question just popped in)

thanks

As far as a slow yoyo like your talking about you described a iloveyoyo lio. It sounds like the would be a good med/full size yoyo for you. And any yoyo can be more responsive if you lube it right. Order a bottle of thick and a bottle of thin lube. Use the thick for more response and then when your ready to go unresponsive just clean it an lube with the thin. Or a dark magic or sr71 comes with the 2 bearings that you can change out. So it’s up to you. But the large bearings can be responsive if you want them to be. The thin bearing isn’t the only way to achieve responsive play. I used gun oil on my superstar bearing and it was pretty responsive. But I wouldn’t try it without thin lube handy just in case you don’t like it. I’ve heard sewing machine oil works too but I’ve never tried it. So I do not know how the response is with it. You can look up how to clean bearings on YouTube it’s pretty easy the tricky part is getting the shields off. Then I just swish it around it zippo lighter fluid for a second.

1 Like

and yes they do ship internationally
http://yoyoexpert.com/international-shipping.html

1 Like

north star alll the way

1 Like

B-grade kyo DNS might fit your preference:
medium-fullsize, medium weight, each yoyo comes with its own unique mark(s) (the “flaw” is a misscolored scratch-sized mark) Some people actually pay for splash or acid wash, but here you get a discount for the line(s). If I close my eyes and run my finger around the mark, I cannot feel it.
The surface feels like aluminum that’s been brushed VERY slightly.
The supply is limited
It costs less than a DM2, but dont let the price fool you.
Comes with what I consider a premium bearing, and yes, you can tell that it’s quieter and smoother than the stock yoyojam bearing. This bearing happens to have 10 balls and comes de-shielded for you to add thick lube for response or thin lube for unresponsive.
It also grinds much better than any plastic yoyo in its price range

If I were to compare to my yyf yuuksta, spin times and stability are slightly less, but the DNS is smoother, heavier, less vibe, and bigger. Although the yoyo is advertised to weigh 65g, it does feel slightly heavier than the yuuksta, which is supposedly 65g.

Oh, and one more plus is that it uses the same response rings as yoyojam yoyos, so you can either buy rings or fill it with flowable silicone.

1 Like

allright, I’m gonna look into these ones, I might get a yuuksta on the way there (not exactly what I was looking for but I can see myself taking nice pictures of it ^^)

I’m looking into both DNS and ILYY ones, can’t seem to find them in stock so far

getting the northstar this or next week, I need a plastic to practice on, metals are mostly for “special occasions” and photography for now, even tho it’s been a while since I slammed a yo yo on the floor now.

Although I love my yuuksta, it might not be a good match for you.
It’s an undersized throw and it feels really small in the hand.

I’ve actually slammed my kyo dns into the (wood) floor, as well as my yuuksta.
The yuuksta exhibits scratches from slamming into the floor (string broke). It also lost a 1mm chunk of “paint” when it hit the glass lightbulb. The lightbulb was unharmed.
The dns seems to have a better finish, because it still has no scratches/dings/chips.

The dns uses the yoyojam response ring, not the sticker.

Also, check your messages for help on finding the dns.

thanks for the pm

actually, I was thinking about the yuuksta for a weird reason. As I’m beginning, I don’t exactly know what I want, what I need and what suits me best, all I can base myself on are advices, reviews looks and to a lesser extent, price (not going to spend 500 on a yoyo, yet…)

so I thought “ok, I’d like a big/medium yo yo, that can play rather slow”

but in fact, I don’t know if it’ll suit me, so I thought if I get an undersized yo yo, maybe I’ll like it, maybe I wont, at least I’ll know and I’ll have one if I ever feel like it.

it may be hard to understand, but if I go with a yo yo that is different from what I want, I might learn something unexpected out of it and out of myself too.

I’m just starting my collection, in the end, I want choice, the right yo yo for the right day

and they ALL have to look great ^^

The Foxland Foxtail is big and really slow.
They’re dead smooth and pretty cost effective as well.
Microbrewed in Kentucky by players.
Might be just what you’r looking for.

thanks all, I’m going to put this topic in my favorites for further consultation

as for now I don’t want to exceed my budget for november and there were a few yoyos I HAVE to have (classics/standards)