Olympic Yo-Yo (vintage) - New string too loose

I tried to restring an old wooden Olympic Yo-Yo with some new strings that work fine on other Yo-Yo’s. However, for the Olympic, the string is too loose around the axel; I can’t even wind the thing up (and if I can it just falls and stays down).

Are the axels of old Yo-Yos much thinner than new ones? Any way I can make it work?

1 Like

It could well be the string. Some older wooden yoyos work best with something like type 8 cotton string.

Those were made in Sweden by Kalmar Trissan. There is nothing unusual about the design. The axle appears to be a little thicker than those on Tom Kuhn or BC yoyos.

Keep making the string tension tighter until it finally gets responsive, after a few sleepers the string may get a little more cooperative and you can start adjusting it to a more neutral tension.

1 Like

Pinch the string just above the yoyo and spin the yoyo clockwise to tighten the string on the axle. Then throw some hard sleepers until it responds right.

2 Likes

The Gnome gave me this advice a couple months ago and I’ve used it to revisit the response on 4 or 5 different fixies. It is a solid method and I will use it forever.

1 Like

Worked! Thank you so much to all! What a great, helpful community.

1 Like