Wooden axle BC Apollo Troubleshooting

Hello
My (new to me) BC Apollo has become extremely unresponsive. I have not had it very long but I was told by the previous owner that it was not used very much. I cannot get this yoyo to come back up.
This yoyo has a wooden axle and no response system on the sides. It is a glued together body.
I am confident I have the right amount of string tension, however I’m not confident I have the right to string.
My question is, can a wooden axle become too smooth or do they require a treat or maintenance. Or even to the string.
I have been getting conflicting information as unread across old posts, and searches. I understand humidity can be a factor but I do not know how to control that, as far as I’m aware this axle has not been treated with anything like a wax or lip balm.
Thanks for the input.

2 Likes

What kind of string are you using? I think typically a cotton string is recommended

Also, you could try double looping the string around the axle. That will help.

kgb

2 Likes

What string are you using ?

2 Likes

You’ll want something like Type-10 as it is thicker

3 Likes

Yes cotton string for sure.

If you are already using cotton, check the axle for oversmoothiness (very technical term, do not use lightly). Easiest is to take a well-focused flash pic then zoom in. If it’s shiny, it needs attention.

I have not personally attempted it, but the 0A Messiahs (@edhaponik, Kyle Nations, @drewtetz) all seem on board with using a tiny bit of water to raise the grain on the axle.

3 Likes

Thanks for the great replies! It’s greatly appreciated.

I don’t know what string it is, but I’m sure it’s cotton, I’ll look into that number 10, I appreciate the suggestion as things can get a little expensive when you add shipping, so not buying multiple attempts.

adamantiumpops i will look closer into this shine! Thanks.

2 Likes

Hey bro, this @DocPop vid might help.

5 Likes

Thanks a lot

2 Likes

I suggest younuse type 10 cotton if you aren’t already.

The nature of the design means it won’t respond readily without string torsion. Having smooth inner walls with no intential response design is the problem

2 Likes

String type and tension are key with this yoyo as it is on the heavy side. As noted above type 10 cotton is good.

2 Likes

One interesting thing I have learned first-hand recently on one of my 3-in-1 No Jives is that string length can have a surprising impact on response. Shorter string gives a snappier response. I’m sure it is not the dominant issue here but in case that comes in handy later when you’re dialing things in

3 Likes

Well seriously I have learned a lot from this thank you everybody

Is it responding yet?

If not pinch the string just above the yoyo. Hold the pinch and spin the yoyo several times to tighten the loop around the axle. Release the pinch, but keep tension and slide your hand up the string and wind. Throw a few hard sleepers and it’ll respond. Once you’re good to go throw a couple sidewinders to reduce tension to neutral.

3 Likes

So I’ll have to get the string on the way, I’ve tried some of the tips and I’m getting it to be more responsive, hurray
It’s lacking the consistency, I understand a bit more why we’ll see what happens when this drink gets here thank you though!

1 Like