"Old Folks" who Can Sort of Throw BATTLE 2014 - Discussion and Rules

Haha, nice!

Please excuse my ignoranceā€¦ what is FA? Or FAF?

Fixed Axle and Fixed Axle February. Every February there is a similar competition highlighting fixed Axle throwing.

Ah, now Iā€™m facepalming. Of course thatā€™s what it was. =P

Thatā€™s one I probably will not be entering. But I guess a lot can happen in 8 months.

Not to derail the thread, but, FAF has been pretty easy to win these last few years. Itā€™s an artistic performance contest. Make a good video, even if you suck, and the crown could be yours. Iā€™m thinking we may do a banger category next year as well as AP, and maybe a one liner contest or an instagram category.

And youā€™re right about a smaller player pool. I think more players like to talk Fixed Axle than actually play it.

Yupyup! I won the inaugural year because I made a fun video, not because my Fixed Axle skills were any good. :wink:

Update: we have 25 votes. Question asked by PM: can the competitors vote? The answer is yes! You can even vote for yourself.

Would love to see even more people weighing in, but Iā€™m not at all disappointed with the voter turnout. If all the competitors take the time (and we havenā€™t all done so yet) weā€™ll get well into the 30s! Might even crack 40; I think only half of us have voted thus far.

When I did last nightā€™s tally, I did it with a calculator and the plus button. :wink: The Survey Monkey tools arenā€™t as ā€œup to the taskā€ as I hoped for with their free offering, but Iā€™ll be transferring the results to a spreadsheet to ensure the computerā€™s doing the adding instead of me. Once thatā€™s done, Iā€™ll post another update.

Voting ends tomorrow at 10pm! Big thanks to everyone in the contest who has encouraged their circles to vote. One competitor even took pains to encourage ā€œanonymouslyā€ so that he wasnā€™t soliciting votes just for himselfā€¦ he genuinely just wanted to see the best possible results for the contest. You guys are awesome. Canā€™t believe the support youā€™ve given this little thing. :slight_smile:

Also asked by PM: when is the Gambit draw?

I considered doing it midway through, as a point of excitement halfwayā€¦ but I didnā€™t really hype it up or anything, so it seems like itā€™d be kind of out of the blue to do it that way now. I will post the winner of the draw at the same time as I post the contest winners, or only shortly thereafter.

As for the contest results, I will calculate the final results and then post them by no later than 6pm EST on Saturday. The winners should contact me via FB or PM to organize shipping and to take care of details like the Division Two winnerā€™s yoyo choice and the new Valor ownersā€™ colour decision (in the event of impasse, I will flip a coin).

Updated results:

Division One

thehandcoder 44
lax30 33
Aceproductions 32
CrawfishYo 13
burdger 12
mdk0209 10
Yo^2 8
gnny 6
berto 3
jon walker 1

Division Two

GregP 31
Sloppybinds 27
Beezy 24
Turbyonium 23
baconNeggs 11
slowyojoe 10
aaronbrink 10
yooldman 9
paul dang 5
waylon 4
mgiroux77 4
jeffbenit 3
fellavader 1
Peter 0
Slicemage 0

I have a small requestā€¦ Can we extend the voting deadline to Sunday?
I mean I just havenā€™t had time to watch all the videos. I have been saving them for the weekend. You know how it works in the corporate. Morning 7 to evening 7ā€¦
And when we had extended the submission deadline quite a few times, extending the voting deadline shouldnā€™t be a problem I guess :wink:
Believe me many other people will vote during the weekend.

I definitely want maximum possible votes; however, I think a lot of people agreed that a Friday deadline was reasonable.

Iā€™m flexible, but Iā€™d like to hear more people weigh in before I change the date.

Results update:

Division One

thehandcoder 52
Aceproductions 38
lax30 37
CrawfishYo 15
burdger 12
mdk0209 11
Yo^2 11
gnny 6
berto 3
jon walker 1

Division Two

Sloppybinds 33
Beezy 32
GregP 31
Turbyonium 26
slowyojoe 13
aaronbrink 13
baconNeggs 11
yooldman 10
paul dang 5
waylon 4
mgiroux77 4
jeffbenit 3
fellavader 1
Peter 0
Slicemage 0

How about Saturday morning at least?
Itā€™ll give people like me Friday evening to watch and cast their votes!

OK, I can do that. That way I can still maintain my deadline for posting results (Saturday night) while giving a few more hours. Extended until Saturday at 10am EST.

Updated results:

Division One

thehandcoder 58
Aceproductions 44
lax30 39
CrawfishYo 15
mdk0209 14
burdger 12
Yo^2 12
gnny 8
berto 5
jon walker 3

Division Two

GregP 41
Beezy 35
Sloppybinds 33
Turbyonium 27
aaronbrink 15
slowyojoe 14
baconNeggs 13
yooldman 12
paul dang 6
mgiroux77 6
waylon 4
jeffbenit 3
fellavader 1
Peter 0
Slicemage 0

Guess Iā€™ll wait for Fixed Axle February to have a shotā€¦ yikesā€¦ getting beaten with an ugly stick.

I actually enjoy FA more and play it more as is.

Hey man, youā€™re in some peopleā€™s top-3. Thatā€™s something!

I have no idea what Iā€™ve done to deserve the votes Iā€™ve received. Not being fake modest or anything, I just rated a bunch of people higher than myself!

I am glad I participated even though I am coming in last. :slight_smile: It was a good experience and I have learned a lot from the process.

It was fun to compete against other people. I will compete again next year even though I know probably wonā€™t win I know I will have improved. After watching videos to vote it became very clear to me the areas where my throwing is week and how to improve this. I am grateful for the opportunity to participate in the contest and hope to grow as a player and hopefully as a videographer in the future because of this experience. ;D

Also thanks to everyone who watched the videos and judged, I know it is not easy to decide!

A thousand times this!

Also, Jon, itā€™s your awesome approach that epitomizes the intention of the contest and Iā€™m glad you have shared your thoughts on what you got out of it.

Only one more vote since my earlier post, but the latest results:

Division One

thehandcoder 58
Aceproductions 44
lax30 42
CrawfishYo 16
mdk0209 14
burdger 12
Yo^2 12
gnny 8
berto 5
jon walker 5

Division Two

GregP 43
Beezy 38
Sloppybinds 34
Turbyonium 27
aaronbrink 15
slowyojoe 14
baconNeggs 13
yooldman 12
paul dang 6
mgiroux77 6
waylon 4
jeffbenit 3
fellavader 1
Peter 0
Slicemage 0

Just wanted to write a little note of thanks here to all of the sponsors, those that took the time to look through all those videos and time to vote! That is a big chunk of time to devote.

Special thanks to GregP for all of the time and effort put into the contest, and just for being awesome!

I have to admit that my heart pounds and I waffle over every video I post and usually want take it down most days. GregP and Yooldman, you guys make it much easier, so thank you for being so encouraging!

1 Like

Youā€™re too kind (and too modest!) Sloppybinds! Thanks for your encouraging words. :slight_smile:

You should definitely make and keep videos online! Without you, I wouldnā€™t be doing that 1.5 Chia rejectionā€¦ (not that Iā€™m 100% consistent with it yetā€¦)

ā€“

So yeah. Just to be an annoying prat, I will warn everyone that my wife is taking me on a hikeā€¦ I donā€™t THINK that will interfere with my promised 6pm EST reveal, but itā€™s the ONLY reason results could be delayed by a few minutesā€¦

I ainā€™t gonna mess with my wife. ā€œOld Folksā€ are smarter than that. :smiley:

2 Likes

People will survive. Enjoy your hike Greg!

Happy wives buy their husbands yoyos. No body is gonna fault you for that.