"Old Folks" who Can Sort of Throw BATTLE 2014 - Discussion and Rules

Argh! I forgot to vote! Too much going on this weekend. I feel like a heel.

Happy wife, happy life.
Learn you young folk from us old folk.

All righty, it was a heck of a year, but the results are in! I will be in touch with winners to coordinate the details of their prizes.

Every contestant (including winners) who wish to claim their free pack of Unknown strings should provide me with a mailing address so that I can have them sent out! Unknown will send them directly, so be aware that your address will be shared to modman10, an utterly reliable and stand-up young member of the community.

To the results!

Division One

thehandcoder 61 (1st)
Aceproductions 49 (2nd)
lax30 46 (3rd)

CrawfishYo 20
mdk0209 12
burdger 12
Yo^2 12
gnny 8
berto 8
jon walker 6

Division Two

GregP 47
Sloppybinds 40 (1st - see below)
Beezy 40 (2nd - see below)
Turbyonium 28 (3rd)

aaronbrink 16
slowyojoe 14
yooldman 14
baconNeggs 13
paul dang 6
mgiroux77 6
waylon 6
jeffbenit 3
fellavader 1
Peter 0
Slicemage 0

With a confused and astonished grin, I will claim the ā€œbragging rightsā€ for division Two. :wink: I honestly donā€™t know what I did to deserve so many nods, but Iā€™m very honored that the voters would see fit to vote me in. You guys are crazy. And awesome. But mostly crazy!

Sloppybinds and Beezy tied for a total score of 40 each. To break the tie, I went with the person who had the most 1st-place votes. That person was Sloppybinds!

Big congrats to thehandcoder, Aceproductions, lax30, Sloppybinds, Beezy, and Turbyonium. :slight_smile:

The Gambit draw has been done as well. The winner is Peter! Hereā€™s a video:

A lot of people deserve enormous thank-yous here:

The sponsors! YYE, One Drop, Yomega, 2sickyoyos, Unknown strings, Tropic Spins, yooldman, thehandcoder and Ginny! Without you guys we wouldnā€™t have been able to offer some sweet loot to the winners, which adds that extra excitement to the whole contest. Thank you so much!

The contestants! Thereā€™s no contest without all yā€™all. I also appreciate how amazing a group of people you are. Itā€™s pretty clear just from the public threads, but I want to mention that I get lots of nice PMs and Facebook messages, too. Incredibly supportive, incredibly kind to one another, and only competitive in the healthy way. :slight_smile: I loved watching all your videos; super inspiring and a tonne of things I need to steal.

The voters! While many of the votes came from the ranks of the contestants, several more were YYE community members who spent their valuable time watching the videos and facing the same difficult struggleā€¦ trying to rank a winner. Incredibly tough task, and not trivial in terms of time. Thank you so much!

The people in our lives who put up with and in some cases encourage our mad obsession. Even though sheā€™ll never read this post, Iā€™ve gotta thank my wife, for sure. :wink:

Iā€™d say ā€œsee you next yearā€ but really, Iā€™ll see you in one or two posts from now in this very threadā€¦ :wink:

3 Likes

Woohoo!!! I canā€™t believe I won. Thanks to everybody for voting, not just for me but voting in general. This makes me feel better about the other videos Iā€™ve posted over the last few months. Congratulations to all the winners. There were some seriously good videos this year.

Big thanks to Greg for setting this up and running it for the last 2 years. I canā€™t wait for next years. Iā€™ll be moving up a division so Iā€™ll have to compete with the big boys. Itā€™ll be fun.

1 Like

Greg, I think you handled the 2nd division outcome gracefully. Sureā€¦ you get the bragging rights! :slight_smile:

Iā€™m totally pleased that Sloppybinds gets 1stā€¦thatā€™s the homie! We are/were pals on Instagram (whereā€™d you go? :slight_smile: ).

Also, once againā€¦

Iā€™d like to thank my sponsors Metamucil, Life Alert, Sealy Posturepedic, and SunSweet prune juice.

4 Likes

Oopsā€¦and thanks to everyone who participated, voted, and the generosity of the sponsors!

Congratulations to the winners!

I am honored to have even gotten votes. Knowing that some people voted for me in their top 3 is huge. Next year fellas, next year.

And being an old man, FA is next for me.

Lastly but the biggest thank you goes to Greg for putting this together and taking all of this time to put this together. Thank you sir for being such an awesome organizer and host.

3 Likes

A Happy wife is a happy life lol :wink: Very smart my Friend!

1 Like

Thank you Greg for all your hard work and for giving us old Folk a reason to make videos! Congratulations to all the winners!! Like Greg said it was very hard to choose from all these great videos! Also thank you to all the sponsors for supporting us old folks!! I will have to up my practice game for next year!! YOU ALL WERE GREAT!!

Peace out :wink:

3 Likes

Thank you Greg, the sponsors and all of the people who entered into the contest. You guys had some awesome videos. I personally would like to thank 2Sickyoyā€™s for providing the ā€œGambitā€ and also special thanks to the silly number picking program you used Greg. With out that, I would not have won the Gambit. hehehe.

2 Likes

Hahah! Nice! Iā€™m sure random.org will be well pleased with the shout-out. :wink:

Speaking of shout-outsā€¦

BIG UP to the man himself, Paul Dang, who took the time to make a video to contribute to our little thing here. Before switching to ā€˜goofing aroundā€™ with left-handed play, his initial combo was enough to make most of us wet our Depends and go, ā€œUh, Paul just won.ā€

Such a good yoyoer, a good sport, a fun guy, and a credit to his sponsor/employer, One Drop!

2 Likes

Ahhhh so good!!! Congrats to the winners!!! And the my buddy Peter for winning the Gambit!!

Thank you Greg for all your hard work too!! GREAT JOB MAN!!!

Thanks to all the sponsors and to everyone who helped to push it on FB as well!!

2 Likes

Wow, I donā€™t know what to say. I feel a bit in shock! :o Thanks to those that felt my yoyo worthy of winning!

Beezy, thank you for the gracious words! Iā€™m so glad that you arenā€™t (too) upset. :slight_smile: Sorry for ditching you on Instagram. It was sort of a kneejerk reaction to some circumstances combined with realizing that I was starting to put self worth into whether I was getting likes by some people or not on my yoyo vids. I feel a bit protective of yoyo because it is sort of like my version of therapy, creative outlet, challenge and fun mixed into one. I didnā€™t want to ruin that, or let it have that kind of control in my life so I pulled away a bit to regain what I felt I had lost and remember why I do this yoyo thing. It was ultimately a selfish act, so for that I apologize!

Again, thank you everybody!

2 Likes

Congratulations to all of the winners. Watching all the videos was well worth the effort and fun.
And a big congratulations to GregP for his success is organizing and administrating the contest. I am sure we all thank you, GregP, for all of your hard work.

2 Likes

Thank you!
To all of the sponsors and participants; This has been a really positive, fun activity. Special thanks to Greg for putting this all together and keeping it amazingly seamless.

Now I just need to work on some new moves for next year. Iā€™ve got to learn ā€œthehandcoder Brim Tapā€.

1 Like

That brim tap is a painful one to practice. :wink:

Congrats to all the winners! Be sure to get some practice in and take another shot at Greg in the next Fixed Axle February.

1 Like

Great contest this year. It was cool to see so many entries, and so many great videos. Everybody should be proud. Congratulations to the winners and thanks to Greg for running such a fun contest.

1 Like

Just wanted to give a big thanks to the sponsors of the contest. I got my One Drop Valor yesterday and havenā€™t put it down yet. Itā€™s an excellent throw. Thanks also to YoYoExpert. Already blew my gift certificate in the store.

Thanks Everyone.
Ben

1 Like