Ohh Bleep - That was close moment

Hiya…

Well I think I have a mild case of YYTADD.

Yoyo Throw Attention Deficit Disorder

So last night I went out tot the living room to practice…( Im a newbie so alls I can do is practice ) and I get there and then…I got distracted with thoughts in my mind or something and suddenly…unconsciously popped off a Throw Down.

Which was a bad thing bc I hadnt gotten my bearings yet or set myself up to begin…And I was using my brand new…YYF - Champagne - Peregrine.

Ohhh Crud my throw hand is to low.

Panic time…Damage imminent. New Yoyo…smashed. Noooooo !!

So I quickly looked down just to see it rapidly approaching the floor.
Then it hit the floor…and bounced up a few inches…and then hit the floor again…and rolled a bit.

Hummm…strange I thought. No BANG !

I looked down again…Ohhhhh…the living room floor has carpet.

Wheeww !

Recently a similar thing happened when I accidentally threw trapeze with my new Koi…in compete darkness…it could have crashed into anything near me…But…luckily I landed the trapeze and the yoyo was safe.

Soooo…What are your “Ohh bleep - that was close moments”…that is to say…ones in which your throw faced damage or certain doom…but made it through…unharmed.

6 Likes

Once you stop caring about the dings, yoyos are infinitely more fun.

14 Likes

I have an atlas, and the only noticeable damage on it was from a time I broke my string and it slammed into something metal. I’ve banged it on quite a few things and rolled it on the floor, but so far nothing new.
Just stop worrying about dings.

2 Likes

Oohhh I bet bet you have one or two you don’t want to crash! I know I do. But you’re right, for the most part, once you get over the ding phase it is so much more relaxing. I guess I’m more worried for the furniture around my house. My hardwoods have a couple love taps.

My “that was close moment” happened to be not so close at all as I wrecked a TV in a hotel room! :flushed: cost me $400. The manager and I had a laugh as I explained “I’m 50 and play with a yoyo”. She was grateful I came to her so she split the cost with me. Yikes. Could have spent that $400 on something I’d be worried about dinging. :smiley:

Edit: a more “that was close” moment was this picture on the ocean front in Boston. Ari would have become a lost treasure. My heart rate went up fast.

6 Likes

I learned this lesson hard learning 5a hahahahaha

3 Likes

On Christmas 2 years ago I got a horizon 2.0 yoyo I was having fun and randomly the string cut and the yoyo slammed into the wall. I slowly walked over and looked at the damage but it was perfectly fine. I tested to see if it got any vibe and it didn’t. Fast forward one year and how I dinged it was taking out the trash the bag slammed against my pocket and that dinged it.

4 Likes

I have a working set of throws I love with dings and vibe. I have a collection set of throws that are thrown with care. I have been buying up good throws pre dinged by others. That helps me get past the 1st ding issues.

4 Likes

@Shwa - Well now the point of my story was that was close moments…but your…ummm…incident…though costly…makes a cool story. I dont know how many people can say their yoyo took out a $800.00 TV. Ive heard where some rock stars did it with a guitar…but you did it with a yoyo.

2 Likes

@Pineapple367 - Wow…survived a wall…a thing which has probably taken out many a throw with other folks…( along with floors and ceilings)…only to be downed by a …trash bag. Ohhh…the irony of it !

Thank you for your contribution.

1 Like

Anymore " Ohhh Bleep - That was close moments" ?

What about the hard ones

the ones that shift the rings and induce B-grade 9D vibe :fearful:

Those are something to care about.

EDIT: Some of you will never know the fear that is throwing a 1/30 TiSS yoyo across the floor that isn’t yours inducing hella vibe just to figure out you needed to press the rims in a lil

3 Likes

Don’t believe the hype. Dinging your yo-yos doesn’t make yoyoing better or more fun. It just leaves you with a less valuable and damaged yoyo.

However, severe 3A damage does look cool.

1 Like

I constantly swing my yoyo very near my face and manage to back away right before collision.
Ocasionaly I do end up slamming it though.

2 Likes

I dunno, I buy yoyos to play them. If I don’t like them and want to sell them, that usually happens when I haven’t played them much and thus most likely haven’t much dinged them.

Also, le epic scarecrow - nobody is saying dings make yoyoing better or more fun. Plenty of people saying dings shouldn’t prevent you from enjoying your yoyo, though.

Because y’know, yoyos are made to be played with. And dings usually don’t mess with that too badly.

3 Likes

The Sistine.

“A YoYo built for fun! And oh yeah, we want you to paint it, beat it up, strip it down and repaint it! Sometimes it gets forgotten so the goal of this thing was to remind you that skill toys are still toys. We are really proud of The Sistine and can’t stop throwing it. We hope you can’t either!” -Throwing Sideways & Bangers x Brushes

1 Like

I didn’t say don’t play with them. I said dinging them doesn’t make it better. I play my nicest yo-yos everywhere, I just don’t subscribe to the ding will set you free mentality. Sure I ding some, but never have I been like, oh great I threw my 100$ Yoyo into the ground now I can really enjoy it.

3 Likes

i’ve def done that tbh, there’s something freeing ab not having to worry ab dings anymore on something i’ve been trying to protect :3 dings only set u free if u trapped urself in the first place ya know

4 Likes

All this ding talk just shows non of yall have kids. Buggers will ding your yo-yos for you. No need to set yourself free when you got 15-20 years of built in reminders your not gonna have anything nice till your ready to retire.

7 Likes

This 100%

But forreal if i had a dollar for every ding fir 5a practice

Speaking of dinging yo-yos my kids actually know only to mess with the plastic ones which can still be sticky but less tears lol.

The wife though…. I love my wife I really do. However she had a need to clean the office yesterday and flipped the mattress over to vacuum under the bed. I came in to find my display case on the floor and all my wood and modern responsive throws scattered on the floor. I didn’t ask but I assume mattress knocked everything over. She was sorry about it and I just tossed them all in a box and will deal with it later but wife is the real sleeper agent of destruction here. And the cats. Damn felines can’t leave a solid object on a desk alone without sending it on a quick hard journey to the floor.

4 Likes