Oh my god my wife threw away my yo-yo boxes

lol my man

4 Likes

A long time ago we came to an “agreement.” My wifey leaves my stuff alone. I know it grinds at her but she abides by it. I likewise don’t question her stuff (little as it is…).

8 Likes

Total bummer but as long as you still have the throws……… have a scotch you’ll feel better.

5 Likes

This is what puzzles me…….

Why……’Why’ is your wife even messing with ‘your stuff’?

My wife even if she was bipolar, neither one of her would even think messing around with my stuff.

At my house things fit in one of three categories: my stuff her stuff our stuff.

We can both mess with or share ‘our’ stuff. She has her stuff I don’t mess with it. I have my stuff she doesn’t mess with it.

At the very least if somebody decides to tidy up a little bit and that might involve the other person stuff, you at least ask them or run by them what you were attempting to do before you just arbitrarily make their stuff disappear.

You don’t even have to be married to the other person. You don’t even have to love the other person. But if you have the same place it’s just common courtesy that your hands stay off the other person stuff unless the subject is brought up for public consideration.

Well, no doubt worse things can happen in life.

At the moment I just can’t think of any.:thinking:

16 Likes

Man, i understand your pain, but seriously, clear your mind and recall - this is you wife and you love her more than your toys.
Yes, it is very disappointing to loose a lot of yoyo related stuff that make your yoyos value more, but it is done, trash bin carried away, and there is no need to think about it anymore.

I can tell you this - back in the day i kept a lot of yoyo boxes, and at one moment i realized that they take a lot of space, so i grabbed them and threw them away. By my own hands. Few years later i realized what i have done, but it was too late :smiley: So, i just took a deep breath and decided not to think about it, and life become much easier.

6 Likes

Mannnnnnnn, Time for a talk haha

2 Likes

I keep (or used to keep) roughly 30 yoyos in the kitchen so I could pick and choose what I play with. One day I get home from work ( I work 2nd shift, so im coming in at like 4 in the morning) and find all the yoyos gone. Aside from two, a Peregrine and a General-yo KLR interestingly enough. Red and green. At the moment, I thought my mom threw them all away (yep, live at home with a single mom and help out). I thought it was an act against me for leaving so many damn yoyos in the kitchen. Coming to my losses (I don’t buy cheap yoyos), I knew I had others and inevitably id make do with what I have and get more later.

Turns out she just put them in the office in a box. I feel your pain but fortunately don’t share it.

6 Likes

everytime a yoyo box goes missing an angel looses its wings

8 Likes

My wife would like me to update that after taking inventory there’s only one box missing and several pieces of flair. We recently moved into a new house and my wife put things together she is an incessant organizer and feels very badly.

10 Likes

“Barn’s burnt down - now, I can see the moon.”

I think I might have one or two old yo-yo boxes hanging around in a closet which I kept because friends wrote something personal on it when they sent it to me. (Not counting No Jives - I have a couple of those in old boxes, just because I collect No Jive artifacts specifically.) That said, I definitely get that these are a thing people value, and that’s super rough, but I also feel that maybe it’s an opportunity to let go of something. Shift your focus/attention to the yo-yo’s themselves - the boxes were only ever a container for them (cool art notwithstanding, but those are prints - unless it’s Jake B, most artists aren’t drawing on the boxes themselves).

Shoot, if you wanted to you could give all but a handful of the yo-yo’s away and shift your attention to the tricks, the experience of play, the people you’ve known in the community. Hyperbole maybe, but there’s a lot to appreciate within yo-yoing, and while I KNOW it sucks and feels super raw to have a loved one blithely toss out something you really valued, it’ll be ok. Best wishes.

Edit: saw your update, and I’m glad they aren’t all lost, although if losing a thing I don’t need makes me really upset, it makes me question whether I should hang onto it.
Anyway, I guess this is for posterity if anyone else should inadvertently lose some chunk of their collection at once?

12 Likes

Reminds me of “The Gold Watch” Sequence in Pulp Fiction

8 Likes

So basically, your initial reaction was pretty much a ‘False Alarm’?

You got a bunch of well meaning responses from us over the last whole day or so.

Only to realize that very little damage was actually done by your poor Wife(painted to be an evil Ogre of sorts)?

Boy o boy👏🏼

3 Likes

Ouch that hurts in my heart

3 Likes

Yes, this is good advice. It was not done out of malice.

2 Likes

lol still a little shook. Only a few hundred dollars worth of damage

1 Like

How can it be a few hundred dollars of damage for boxes or little extra trinkets? I throw all boxes away, and don’t care about extra trinkets. And I don’t think I’ve ever considered a box or pin to increase value for resale. And there was only one time I can think of someone not buying a yoyo I have for sale because I didn’t have a box.

5 Likes

Mate. What sort of boxes are these!!! What do you even mean few 100$ worth of damage. Its a yoyo box. The people are dying to know!!!

3 Likes

Ouch. That hurts

2 Likes

maybe she saw doodoo stains on them

2 Likes

Lack of communication or communication break down for sure. I feel for both of you. Take your family and do something together.

3 Likes