Offset Omniscients vs Bi-metal shutter. Or another? Sub$200

Hey guys, hope everyone is having an awesome Friday!

Long story short, I was an avid Yo-yo enthusiast about 15 years ago. I had an aluminum YYF 888, and an Hspin Pyro. Both had an aftermarket Concave bearing:)

24 years ago is when I first got into yoyoing. I had a metallic missile, SB2, and a Cold Fusion & Cold Fusion GT. Wow, I’m taking a trip down memory lane here!

At any rate, I’ve decided to pick the hobby back up :slight_smile: I’m amazed by all of the new technology these days, it’s almost overwhelming when trying to learn about everything. (I’ve gone back to school full-time, which takes most of my attention. I’m also an avid Mountaineer - Ice climber, Rock climber. This takes up most of my free funds lol.

I started looking into Yoyo reviews, trying to determine what the best of the best of the best throws are. Bi-metal? Titanium? Aluminum? Real quick I stumbled across the Bi-metal Shutter, loved the look so I purchased one. It came in the other day! I have to say that I’m pretty amazed by its performance, to say the least. I read that it is heavy, however, I find it extremely light myself (Former bodybuilder). Afterward, I spent some time diving into the yoyos available today and noticed that many people are commenting that it isn’t the best yoyo. There are far more high-performance yoyos in the Sub 200 dollar range so I kept on looking. (Would you agree? If so, why do you feel that the butter is subpar in performance?)

I came across the Offset Yoyo Omniscients, I love the color options! I could purchase one today, but before I do, I’d like to hear from others about their opinion on the yoyo and how it compares to the Bi-metal Shutter or other high-end yoyos. Will the Omniscients outperform the Bi-metal Shutter for String & Technical tricks? Is it smoother, does it feel nicer in the hand?

If there is very little difference from a performance standpoint, I’ll leave things be and further develop my skills on the Butter. If the Omniscients will be easier to learn technical tricks, and or outperform the Butter, I think I’ll pull the trigger and be done with it. In hindsight, I wish I did more research before purchasing the Butter.

Lastly - If there are other yoyos $200 or less that you feel outperform both the Butter and Omniscient, please speak up! I may look at one of those instead.

*** I should add one more question. Bearings! Do these high-end yoyos come with sufficient bearings, or will I find an increased performance by adding an aftermarket bearing such as the DS or NSK? - Does my Butter come with a lubed bearing? If so I’ll clean it and leave it. I’m not sure if things have changed today, but I remember that I preferred a dry bearing after soaking it in lighter fluid. Lube always took away from the power and speed of the spin.

Thanks, guys!

I appreciate your help, and for reading my long-winded post.

This is exciting for me, I feel like a kid again! - Can’t wait to bust out some freestyle Yoyo tricks hanging off the side of a mountain :slight_smile: Or on the summit 11,000 + feet in the air!

7 Likes

Idk about other bi-metals, but I feel like CLYW would be a good brand for you solely based off their themes.

2 Likes

You have some amazing choices at your price point. Personally, I wouldn’t recommend either of those. The Omniscient was underwhelming from a performance perspective. The bimetal Shutter has great performance, but polarizing feel.

If you’re looking for performance, YYR would my recommendation. The Chopsticks Gorilla is utterly fantastic and plays quite compact. The Autoscopy is my absolute favorite, but plays more solid. The 2021 Valkyrie also has extraordinary performance, but plays on the heavier side. I haven’t played the new Skyfish, but it sounds like an excellent option for a lighter design.

I don’t think a NSK bearing will appreciably increase performance, but does offer a different feel. I prefer them in most of my throws.

8 Likes

Not really…

Also not really, unless the original bearing isn’t working well. I’m not saying you won’t get increased spin times, but don’t count on it being a lot. I say give it a try though, NSK bearings are really nice and smooth and require very little maintenance.

Also, you may find that you have a strong preference for certain types of centering bearings (or maybe even flat bearings—see
the many, usually locked :rofl:, threads about that).

1 Like

If you like the specs of the Omniscient, finding a fusion might be the way to go from Damian Puckett/myself. There will be brass ones released in the summer and I’m sure you can find an SS one on the BST.

Also, Be on the lookout for perpetual by motion yoyos! A bit bigger than your choices but it’s the best pure performance yoyo I’ve tried.

10 Likes

Motion yoyos perpetual, is a absolute banger!!!

3 Likes

I would say give some serious thought to a Duncan Grasshopper GTX or the new GTR. In terms of price to performance they’re simply stunning in my opinion.

3 Likes

Too many amazing options. As @hobbygod mentioned above, the Fusion on the BST might be worth a look especially at this bargain price:

1 Like

I have to agree with @hobbygod … he does CAD for a lot of people and his word should carry some weight. Perpetual is a beast, if your looking for a high end bimetal then i would recommend you jump on this especially since you can get in on the preorders NOW with @JEA86. Perpetual can go faster then i can play, has more power then i need to get through my longest combos, is comfortable in the hand to catch and throw, finger grinds pretty well honestly can’t go wrong with this guy.

3 Likes

Wow that’s cheap!! Wish I saw it earlier lol

1 Like

Replied to your ad!

I have not been able to google any information on the Perpetual.
Could you please provide specs - Diameter, Width, Weight, Price more photos?

How do I get in on the pre-order if I decided to pull the trigger?

*** To update everybody, I’ve been thinking about things slightly differently. I’ve started looking at Heavier or larger diameter yoyos as it will make a noticeable difference in play vs my butter.
I’m a strong dude, so heavy doesn’t bother me & my butter feels god awfully light (Mind you, I’m used to an old Hspin Pyro from back in the day) I’ve done some reading and I understand larger diameters or heavier weight can increase stability and spin-time (Which may benefit me in my early practice as my technique won’t be as solid)

Two Yo-yos that have caught my attention are the Turning point MSG, and the Turning point Collapsar. There are not may reviews online, so I’m having a hard time determining what others think about these two yoyos in comparison. How would they compare to the above mentioned Perpetual or Fusion?

Thanks guys.

3 Likes

You’re probably going to want to just buy a couple of mid-range yo-yos to see what you really like. If you want something on the heavier side, check out the new Civility (from Throwback I think).

RE: Turning Point, I heard one of the best modern yoyoers (sponsored by a different company with his own signature yoyo) say that Turning Point bi-metals are pretty much as good as you can get. He went on to say that this was his favorite yo-yo because it plays like a TP bi-metal:

2 Likes

one of my favorite larger diameter yoyos is a yoyorecreation overdrive draupnir. so good that i bought a 2nd just to keep as a backup lol. its a super stable model due to the shape of the rings, being relatively flat and as far out to the edge of the circumference as possible. if you’re interested, i may sell my brand new spare one (red with silver rings) since it’s just sitting in my collection.

edit - also, don’t get hung up on weight specs. they give you a ballpark on how a yoyo “should” feel, but the design and distribution of that weight can shift the perception

4 Likes

I wonder which TP was his favorite?
the MSG is nice, but it’s much narrower than my butter. I’m leaning towards the Collapsar. Just giving it some thought before pulling the trigger!

I also have Alphaline string on order! Sadly I couldn’t go through Yoyo expert as they were out of 100 count. I went with some site called Yoyo Sam. (All they had in stock was Orange, Red Yellow…) Looks good enough, shall work for now.

I’ve decided on the Collapsar:) I’m not paying through the nose for expedited shipping this time however, so I’m hoping it doesn’t take to long to arrive in Alberta.

For my butter I used DHL shipping ($36 USD) took 3 business days!

1 Like

No idea, but he might say something like “all of them.” If I think of it, I’ll ask next week. :wink:

Though, really, there are a lot of just as valid opinions available here. I’ve never tried a TP bimetal, so no help here.

1 Like

Absolutely! I’ve been given so many beautiful options, and I truly appreciate everybody’s input!

This is a solid forum! I’m not one to frequent forums, there typically filled with keyboard gunslingers and internet bullies… Everybody has been legitimately helpful and I love it!

Ultimately, I decided to go with a yoyo that was significantly heavier than my butter as it will give me a nice opposition in play. Valkyrie, GTR, Hummingbird, Perpetual, all gorgeous! If I decided to collect some more throws they’d all be on my list!

For now I’m going to love these two throws and practice practice practice!

I decided to go with DHL shipping - Less chance of being hit with extra customs / duty fees + I know I’ll get my package in a timely manor given how much international orders have been affected by covid. I should have the Yoyo next week! It maybe a different story as to when I’ll receive the yoyo string, it will be intriguing to compare the nylon alpha line to my poly kitty fat.

Thanks again for everybody’s help.

3 Likes

The collapsar is so nice!
Im now wanting a hybrid yoyo. Cant decide between the gamma crash and the new iceberg.

I ended up loving my butter too, I enjoy it for faster play, and I enjoy the collapsar for learning new tricks and stability.

Iceberg or gamma crash?

I haven’t played a Gamma Crash, but the new iCEBERG was my favorite yoyo for a while there. It’s awesome and usually LOUD if you leave the bearing as-is, haha.