*Official*Secret Santa - Christmas in July

Wanting to organize a Secret Santa event here on the forums, and want to gauge interest in something like this.
For those that don’t know what this is - basically you would receive a person to anonymously send them a yoyo and possibly small gift or two to go with it.

Would you participate in a secret Santa style yoyo exchange?

• Yes
  • No

0 voters

Should it be just a yoyo trade, or a yoyo and small gift?

• Just a yoyo
  • Yoyo + small gift

0 voters

Any other suggestions/questions let me know below! If you’ve organized a gift exchange before, what are your thoughts on this? Good things to do or not do?

8 Likes

I am not sure polls is the right way to approach this when we’re brainstorming the initial conditions?

In particular I am really unsure how to answer “should we do international” and “positive trade feedback” since those are… unclear. It would be good to get typed replies with detailed suggestions from others that have done this in the past.

1 Like

Okay - you just want to delete this topic then and I’ll start a new one?

I think the first few polls are good, maybe edit and remove the last 2 polls? but let’s definitely ask for advice from people who have done this before!

2 Likes

I believe @yomagic did the FB page secret santa, better ask him.

3 Likes

I like the idea of yoyo + small gift if we want to. I think it’s a good way to share creations like strings you’ve made or something creative like a decorative string ball

But make it optional. I’d be happy to add a little gift to mine, but I don’t think everyone should be forced to do it.

4 Likes

I love this idea!!

4 Likes

The secret Santa’s stopped happening here and just happened on fb because the forums died, they were pretty popular first two or three years I was here

There’s also a fb group that does a yoyo exchange type thing where there’s 3 or 4 yoyos in a box that gets passed around, whenever you receive it you take one and put one in

5 Likes

Based on the “trade any Lego minifig with any LEGOLAND park employee” results, I am guessing that box ends up with kinda the least common denominator yo-yos that nobody wants… my gosh there were such janky Lego minifigs in those trade cases. :confused:

4 Likes

It goes off different levels. The last one I was in I had a choice between a Format C and Decoy, box value was 75-100, so all the throws are in that price range.

2 Likes

Its been going for a while now and people seem pretty happy with it for the most part. There’s regulations and tiers and such.

They had to do some adjustments but most of the kinks are worked out by now I think

2 Likes

I like the box with multiple to choose from. You get to try and find what you like. Test throws you may never see again. I think people would be just as honest about value as the regular secret santa. It’s a gamble no matter what but it’s all for fun in my eyes.

5 Likes

What were the adjustments?

One box that gets mailed around sequentially might work better for a smaller audience, perhaps?

I worry that if we do one-to-one matching there won’t be enough people to keep it interesting. The last time this ran in 2016 @yomagic shortened the list but got to 40 people.

2 Likes

Make a fb and find out :wink:

1 Like

The tiers were adjusted to cover a smaller range than before. Additional shipping insurance required depending on the tier. People with no feedback or hadn’t participated before would have to put down a deposit, but I don’t think anyone has had to do that yet.
Those are actually on hold for a bit though.

3 Likes

I will go to my grave without a Facebook or Instagram account. Believe that.

11 Likes

I don’t mind Instagram, especially for yoyo stuff. Perfect platform for short video clips. But yeah, you’re not missing out by not being on Facebook.

2 Likes

I only opened a facebook account because a ton of my phone apps/games either required it, or made it easier to log into/sign up for.
For the longest time I only had 1 friend…and that was my mom lmao! I still only have 1 friend, and that’s only because she totally pulled a whole “if you really like me you’d facebook friend me” bs on me! xP

I do like it for facebook groups though.

I’d very much enjoy being part of a Secret Santa here! I love christmas! I’m the dork you’ll see walking around town in a big light up santa hat, and a string of giant blinking christmas tree lights hanging around my neck!
…2 months before everyone else is even starting to think about christmas!
I’ve still got my christmas tree up as well as a christas village lol.

3 Likes

This reminded me of this lol

And of course can’t forget this clip

7 Likes

lmfao…that first clip was perfect! haha

4 Likes