Odd Question about Plastic Yo-Yos

Hey guys, I recently bought a Delrin yo-yo (Thesis Serenade) & I noticed something very weird about it. When the halves are connected, if I want to, the sides aren’t completely static and can move independently of each other, if I put just a little bit of force into it. i’m wondering if this is normal or if I haven’t tightened it enough? I’m kind of afraid to over tighten it, though, because plastic cracks if you do that, but I havent really messed with a Delrin before, so I’m kinda clueless. This never happens with my metal yo-yos, so I feel like its not a feature of Delrin.

Side note, I may just be crazy, but it seems like the yoyo is wobbling when I sleep it and if I look very closely, it looks like the halves are wobbled inconsistent with the other side, which is also wobbling.

I wasn’t sure if this should go in “general’” or “maintenance”, sorry if this is this is in the wrong place.

1 Like

It sounds like the inner hub (the metal part) wasn’t properly press fit and now it’s kind of stripped it so it doesn’t stay fully attached to the plastic shells. Also delrin doesn’t really crack like other throws.

3 Likes

I’m gonna look more into this and see if there’s anything I can do about it. Thanks for the help.

Also, since it likely won’t crack, im just gonna try to tighten it and see what happens lol

1 Like

Most people recommend putting a rubber ball or something grippy in the very center metal part and try turning it that way.

2 Likes

I just “over tightened” it and I think it solved all my problems. I guess Delrins need to be really tight, or maybe just this one does, particularly because of the metal cup-axle thing that isn’t exactly fixed to the yoyo.

2 Likes

Not crazy, seems like QC missed this yoyo. Its called “pulsing vibe” (at least thats what i call it) but it seems like this got pretty messed up

1 Like

Yeah it was really bizarre but I think its fixed now. I have this weird thing where I am delicate with my yoyos and “dont want to break them”, and the only thing I can really compare it to is when I first got into firearm collecting & I’d be afraid to do -anything- to the gun because I “didn’t want to break it” & then my dad told me “there’s nothing you can do to break it, its made out of steel and little explosions go off inside it and it doesn’t even break then” and, ever since, I haven’t been sheepish with them.

I’m willing to bet that there is way more force put on the yoyo when you throw it than when you close it and, while cheaper plastic yoyos can crack, I guess it makes sense that a delrin wouldn’t crack as easily.

BTW this yo-yo is sick, i highly recommend it, despite having problems with it at first LOL. I’m going to play with it all day.

7 Likes

Frankly, I think it wasn’t tightened enough, and now that you have tightened it enough things are good.

3 Likes

Honestly…I am glad the problem went away. They’re not just yoyos to Us People and it upsets me when people have problems like this. I LOVE it when a yoyo problem ends happily. :smiley_cat:

2 Likes

ME TOO MAN. I’ve been having trouble getting into contact with Thesis, so i wasn’t looking forward to this being a dud LOL.

I’ve wanted a delrin yoyo as soon as I heard it was a thing and was made away of the benefits. My first choice was One Drop Cabal because I am loyal to that brand for many reasons but it wasn’t in stock anywhere and everyone was talking about how amazing the Serenade is and, from my limited experience so far, I have to say they are right to hype it lol.

If you’re clever enough, you can even still find them online! Maybe yoyoexpert will even get more in stock!

1 Like

I have a cabal and serenade and I think you made the right choice.