OD Valor

I give you until March…

1 Like

Ha! Sorry, man. I’m stickin’ to my guns on this one. I MIGHT consider this throw if they release it in yellow or make me a special half red/ half blue combo, but I would still need to sell something of my own first to apply it towards this price and “trick” myself into believing it’s costing me less.

I’m in Geeezer’s camp on this one. SEs seem to increase production time and effort to me. So, Andy, I’m not following your logic about how creating one Benchmark would actually increase its selling point regardless of its specs in comparison to another yoyo. A more apparent reason to me is that SINCE there are three versions, people are more likely to buy all three to compare them and spend $180. And this is what allowed them to drop the price a bit. And, correct me if I’m wrong, but didn’t YYE give a price break on the third yoyo if you bought all three? It think they knocked $20 off their already marked up price. So either YYE made very little money on these, or One Drop made very little money on them, or they were already less expensive to produce in the first place due to lack of graphics and simple solid ano jobs.

But, hey, companies have the right to charge what they want, and they will. So I’m not going to say something isn’t equal to the value that the company perceives it to be. I’m just saying that in comparison to other values set by that same company, this one seems not to jive simply because of the materials. The 7075 burnside was under $100, but maybe that was because of the supposed ano defects, I don’t know.

I have tons (or tonnes as Gambitwould say :wink: ) of yoyos now, and I feel I can safely that so-called budget yoyos which are under $80 are perfectly fine and in some cases excellent when it comes to play. But, it’s still a tough sell to a mom or dad getting their child a toy. When price enters the triple digits, you’re now in collectors territory where I have decided not to venture anymore.

I have thought of putting in place the same type of rule for myself but I just haven’t been able to do it yet. >:(

If you read the product description for Benchmarks, we lay out exactly how we were able to achieve the great value on them. We don’t manufacture in China, so we needed to find others ways to bring the retail price down without compromising quality.

2 Likes

As a competitive player, I am glad that the Valor is 7075. 7075 is a superior material. It’s more durable, and allows for more focused weight. I couldn’t care less about colorways, engravings, or any other aesthetic factors of a yoyo. I just want the best playing yoyo that will allow me to perform my best on stage.

I’d rather have one very high performing 7075 yoyo than three crappy playing 6061 yoyos. If I have to pay a little more for superior performance, I will.

Thanks, Da5id.
I found the paragraph in the product description that explains the cost savings on production.

In order to get the price that low we’ve taken advantage of the shared specs which allow us to combine the CNC programming, and cut our usual tooling costs and production steps by two thirds. The yo-yos are clean in design in that there are few, if any, non-functional styling elements which reduces the machining time, setup time, and tool wear. Also, the yo-yos will not have any laser engraving. Finally they will all share the same packaging which saves money on art and stickers.

Since I’m completely unfamiliar with CNC programming or tooling costs, I admit I have no room to speak there. I appreciate the superior quality of your products and always have, so thank you for helping to provide that quality at a lower price point for everyone in the Benchmark yoyos. I didn’t intend to insult or discourage. I don’t agree with the claim that 7075 creates a better performing yoyo, but I don’t throw at a competitive level, so I’m very happy with the yoyos I have, MANY of which are One Drops. I’m still hoping I can find a way to obtain a Valor in the future, but until then I have 13 Burnsides, a 54, a y-Factor and a Yelets (another great value) to throw.

Dat metric system tho. :stuck_out_tongue:

I find it funny that $120 is Onedrop’s version of an “expensive” 7075 throw. Even when people are unhappy with the price, it’s still one of the best value brands out there. Heck, I’ve seen second hand YYRs and Turning Points go for more than $120, even in less than mint condition.

Personally, I like 7075. I don’t think it really adds much play wise, I just love the way it feels and sounds. I’m tempted by the black and purple ones… pretty…

I really want to try a valor before I buy.

It is sooooooooooo good!!! :stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue:

That is a BEAUTIFUL picture. I know the shape is completely different, but in terms of 7075 One Drop throws, how the Valor compared to the Format:C?

Both are excellent yoyo’s. For me though the Valor is a step above. When I first played it at worlds I knew it was going to be special. Vilmos and the boys at One Drop really set the bar high with this yoyo…

Mind if I ask for a tad more info? I know “floaty and solid” are very subjective, but how would you say it plays? Any other throws it feels similar to?

Sure!! It is a bit of both actually. Kinda plays like a more nimble version of the Format: C. It is very fast as well. It is a joy to play. It does very well with flowy combos and tight techy stuff too.

1 Like

Tried it at local shop, I dont care for used material, only important thing for me is that Valor is best model One Drop produced. Dang is still my most favorite OD, but Valor is just best playing and would be my choice from all OD for contest.

The Valor has a bit more of a solid feel to it than the Format:C. I remember trying both the Valor and Format:C at worlds, and preferring the Valor, but since it was so new and still a ways away from being released, Vilmos wasn’t gonna let me buy one of his protos.

I feel it does horizontal a bit better than the format:c, and handles grinds a bit better, too. The little ridge in the cup near the axle does help a bit with finger spins. I dig it. Easily my favorite OD throw

Simply amazing… On the one hand, you have a guy stating he had already previously decided to not spend more than a hundred dollars on a Yoyo.(realize his trade count alone, identifies he has spend a considerable amount of money on countless yoyos, over time). <I wonder what his motivation was, to even respond in this thread, since he created his own price point limitation, that effectively removed the Valor from his consideration anyways.

Then we have a guy that did not hesitate to spend at least a few Grand on YYR yoyos. None of which have any side effects. Most of which most likely cost well over the price of a Valor. Yet, he crowns himself ’ The Financial justification, Yoyo Company, price point qualification Panel Chairman’ and actually compells David from One Drop, to fall into the thread and defend his Valor price point.

After ALL THE amazing yoyos, One Drop has released. Made in America. By Americans. Using materials made in America. Actually designed and machined by the Owners themselves. Actually having a web cam, so you can drop in now and and actually See what they are doing. Guys that support Contests Worldwide. Guys that give others free advice with Yoyo related problems. Guys that have actually allowed the Yoyo community to help design yoyos. Guys that ‘machine yoyos’ for other ‘Companies’.
…with everything they have done, they are challenged to justify the ‘price/value’ of a Yoyo’.

Pitiful in a true sense of the root definition of the word.

Boo birds, cry babies,sing me da blues.

I’ve been around since 98. I have never stopped, never faded out and came back, never ‘quit’, never wavered in my Yoyo enthusiasm, ever. I have seen hundreds come and go. And I will be around to see hundreds more do the same.

I have a 1000 yoyos. I have developed a pretty keen ability to identify when yoyos are ‘good’ and when yoyos are ‘not very good for whatever reason’.

I have a One Drop Valor.

Without hesitation, I would state in no uncertain terms, that the Valor is one of the very Best yoyos I have ever touched, ever.

I have had YYR yoyos since 2009. My latest is a Draupnir. I really like the Draupnir. If I only had 2 yoyos and I had to sell one, I would sell the Draupnir.

I am Glad the boo birds won’t be getting Valors. They don’t deserve to enjoy them. Challenging David to justify the Valor, was totally weak.

The Valor is Outstanding.

3 Likes

Darn it yoyodoc. I’m supposed to be spending less money on dem jojos, but you’ve convinced me…

Quick question for team Onedrop though, are these going to come out in spashes any time soon? I understand that 7075 is difficult to anodise, so i can understand if they wont be, but I don’t want to spring for a solid only to have a jaw dropping splash the stores in a few weeks.

Get over yourself, doc. There was no challenge. I simply asked a question, and it was answered. I never made a claim that anything wasn’t worth what One Drop decided to charge for it. I think my motivation for my post was completely obvious. And for someone who loves the Valor so much but hates the boo birds, you sure spent a lot more of your post focused on the boo birds than the Valor. Only a few lines in fact. However, I’m so glad you’re enjoying they yoyo. As I said before, I love One Drop and I’ll continue to throw the many that I have. It’s too bad you decided to just ignore that aspect of my posts. You might have spent more time describing the reasons you love the Valor instead of why you think it’s weak to ask a question. But I’ve seen you go on and on about less.

1 Like

Right now we don’t have an anodizer who can do splash/acid wash on 7075 to our standards so I don’t see those happening any time soon. If we manage to solve this problem then all of our 7075 yoyos will get these finishes. Of course, the retail price will be even higher since that anodizing costs more :slight_smile:

Get over myself? Lol. ‘You’ simply ‘asked a question’.
…No doubt you totally forgot a few statements you made that may constitute my drawing a conclusion you had confronted One Drop with more than a ‘simple question’.
…slight oversight on your part?

I’m diggin the Simple Question theory.

Hahahaha

1 Like