Quick Question on 7075

Ok, so a few days ago, I was still banned, but I was reading through a thread about the One Drop Valor. Someone said something about the Valor having a high price point because it is made in the US, out of 7075 aluminum. Others brought up the Pulsefire to counter this argument. Then someone else said the price also included sales through other parties, such as YYE. Now here’s my question, why did no one decide to bring up the Werrd Hour in that thread? It’s made in the US (I think), out of 7075 aluminum, and is sold here and at a few other stores. Yet, it is sold for $60 mint, why is that?

I think the Werrd Hour is made in Australia where the cost of producing anything is even more expensive than it would be in the states. No idea how Werrd manage to keep the prices down but most of their throws far outperform their pricetags.

Yuki

Agreed on the performance part. While polishing yoyos, I’ve gotten the chance to try a few YYR throws, including the Overdrive, Sleipnir, and Dreadnought. What I’ve found is that the Hour performs just as well as these throws, if not better.

I could be wrong about this, but I know I read somewhere that Werrd’s throws are made in China. My source may have been wrong, but I read that for sure. That could help with the low price.

well 7075 costs more as a raw product, not sure by how much tho, it shouldn’t cost much more to machine if any, shouldn’t be more to anodize.

To be honest I don’t think 7075 costs much more to be bumped up that much higher than 6061 yoyos.

The material is more expensive and it is harder on the tools that machine it.

Its because Werrd has worker koalas that work for cookies.

Nope, all Australia. Another store gives the location of manufacturing and they all say Australia. Although the Minute says “no” for location, which is kinda suspicious.

Just wondering on where u are getting that info cuz there’s not much of a difference in hardness and the tools they use can cut much harder metals without a problem.

the cost difference on 7075 is purely hype.

The raw material is ‘slightly’ more expensive on average, but not much, and the cost of machining is the same.

and yes, I’m sure… I was the first person that I’m aware of to use it on yo-yos, and it was -entirely- because it happens to polish to a very high shine very easily.

Kyle

1 Like

Hmm, haven’t found it to be any easier to polish, will look more closely next time! I have found that the polish lasts longer though.

I tried looking up the average costs. Do u happen to know what the comparison is?

Thanks for backing me up :wink:

Found a gunsmithing forum from 2012 and they were saying avg. prices for 7075 was 2-3x as much in small quantities, and found this from a site about machining model engines.

I couldn’t quote you exact figures on large quantities (which is how shops buy it). In small bits roughly double as somebody mentioned above, in large quantities it isn’t as huge a gap. 6061 is the most commonly used alloy for everything, so the costs drop a bit on small quantities because everybody already stocks tons of it.

Don’t think for a second that material cost has much to do with production cost however, it’s a small fraction of your expenses (when using aluminum… exotic materials change things).

Kyle

The tools will wear faster, maybe not by much, but still faster.

lol you saw that thread. Basically what some parts of YYE boils down to.

Doesn’t seem like it’d be a noticible amount.

I’m about to talk to a machinist from triangle precision industries.

I’ve worked in a machine shop machining titanium, stainless, 6061 and 7075. Sure its not a large difference but its noticeable.