OD Pyramatte finish?

Why does Onedrop stick with the Pyramatte finish even though, from what I gather, they have a killer soda blast finish??

I believe the soda blast is labor intensive. I love it on the Markmont Classic.

Its my understanding that the Pyramatte finish is really durable while also being great feeling. Soda blasts wear off over extensive play from what I’ve heard.

Rumour has it that it’s more about the environment. There is a tonne of waste material that comes from blasting. And what happens to that waste material? It’s just garbage for the landfill.

Pyramatte has not such problem as it’s just a tumbling process.

But this is not confirmed by a single person at OD, so don’t take it as truth. It’s just rumour.

Is clyw pyramatte as well?

My first run clear orca has a pyramatte finish. I think the first run Borealis and scouts were also as well as the recent solid run chiefs.

the splash ones are different then?

I thought CLYWs had a Gruntbull blast…

It seems that all their throws from the new anodizer have a slightly shiney-er finish that isn’t blasted as fine.

I would ask steve about the finishes of their throws to get an exact answer.

MarkMont Classic is a bead blast finish, not a soda blast.

Is a gruntbull blast a type of soda blast?

I dont think so…from what I gather Gruntbull is a company…

Not sure if serious. :wink:

Soda blast only wears if it’s on a raw yoyo, once anodized though it’s protected.

Oh sweet! That makes a lot of sense.

Our Killer Soda Blast Finish actually took longer to do than the machining on some yoyos. While I too love the finish, it just added too much expense.

There is waste associated with each process and they end up being about the same. The soda blast is literally food grade baking soda, we actually buy it in bulk from the grocery store.

1 Like

My question is how it’s pronounced.

Pi-ra-mat?

Pi-ram-et?

Pa-rah-matt

We don’t soda blast anymore. As stated the Markmonts are bead blasted. We are doing a limited amount of bead blasting on some other stuff as well but it will remain a special edition finish.

Since the soda for a soda blast finish is baking soda, isn’t it biodegradable? I thought it might be a fun project for my son and I to take a beat throw, strip it, soda blast, then send it to be anodized. If there are concerns with dealing with the used baking soda (aside from my concerns about ruining a beat throw), better to learn about them now.

Of course, we don’t have a blasting cabinet, and my wife would skin me alive if I even thought about doing this in garage or basement - so, this would be a spring project at the earliest.