Noob help

I was wondering why there are so many more butterfly yoyos than imperial? I picked up a yomega raider the other day and figured if I can get through the beginner tricks I would upgrade but looks like butterfly is the way to go?

Butterfly shaped yoyos are wider, making it easier to land the yoyo on the string. Imperial shaped yoyos are generally only used for looping.

Yes, butterfly is usually the way to go. Generally, imperial shape yoyos are for beginner/intermediate tricks and looping tricks. Butterfly makes it a lot easier to hit the string on most tricks. The YoYoJam Lyn Fury or the YoYoFactory One are good butterfly shaped yoyos to start with, as they are fairly inexpensive.

It all depends on what you want to do. for the most part, imperial shaped is more for looping tricks and butterfly shaped are better for string tricks. the flared shape helps it land on the string.

Also the butterfly shape puts more weight on the rims allowing the yoyo to spin longer. A imperial shape has all the weight in the center, allowing it to loop and turn over better

Thanks a lot. So to conclude imperial I.e. looping tricks is a good place to start but eventually butterfly I.e. string tricks is where better (yoyoers?) Want to end up?

Pretty much :wink:

Not exactly.

You’re right in regards to the Imperial and modified shape(thin gap, straight gap) yoyos being for looping play.

You’re also thinking in the right direction regarding the butteryfly shaped yoyos, which are intended for string tricks.

Yoyo’ers pick their tools based on their needs. Those who are doing 2A style need looping yoyos. Everyone else is either doing 1A, 3A or 5A and need a butterfly shape. 4A typically needs an oversized wing shaped yoyo. There is no relation to “better” players. The same stuff new people use for 2A is also what the pros use for the most part. What people use for 4A is often what the pros use as well As far as 1A, 3A and 5A play, with so many choices to choose from, you can get the same thing the pros use, as long as you know what they are using.

If you want to do string tricks, get a butterfly shape. If you want to do looping tricks, get a modified shaped yoyo. Again: right tool for the job. A good place to start is with a RESPONSIVE yoyo, be it wing or modified shape.

I generally think that the best place to start is an unresponsive yoyo. A bind is a good trick to start with, and isn’t that hard to do.

Binding is easier to learn on a responsive yoyo because you will get more successful binds than you will trying to learn on an unresponsive yoyo.

that makes sense.

1A- one yoyo usually unresponsive, string tricks= butterfly shape
2A- 2 yoyos looping tricks responsive= Imperial shape
3A- 2 yoyos usually unresponsive, string tricks= butterfly shape
4A- one yoyo, Huge gap, huge size, not connected to the string= butterfly shape
5A- one yoyo, usually unresponsive, string tricks, substitute string being attached to your finger by holding a counterweight= butterfly shape.

like studio42 and others said, it all depends on what you want to do.

example of 1A

example of 2A

example of 3A

example of 4A

example of 5A

Which would you like to pursue?

Interesting note because more players are taking advantage of the rules(it’s stated in the rules):

4A: There is no rule to the number of yoyos that are used. This allows for styles such as soloham to be used. At Worlds 2012, someone used 2 4A throws towards the end of their routine.

5A: There is no limit to the number of yoyos used,. I do not think this would allow for Hydra play due to the fact the strings are somehow attached either together or via a central “cherry”. I have seen someone try to do 5A with 2 CW configured yoyos in competition.

Wow awesome help guys this should definitely help me get started. Great forums.

Agreed! I just had to post this. This was just sick! Absolutely sick! Pay close attention to the last 20 sec.

And might I mention he is now THE 4A CHAMPION OF THE WORLD!!!

so sick…