Ninja Vanish vs Ninja Knot

I’m trying to learn Ninja Vanish. I got it once (maybe twice) the first night I attempted it, but ever since I’ve got nothing but knots and snags. Seeing as it’s snagged in mid-air and smashed my nth three times in the last half hour, I figured it time to ask for help. What makes the difference between landing Ninja Vanish and ending up in a knot?

P.S. I’ve looked through several old threads and watched multiple tutorials, and I haven’t found anything that’s helped me distinguish this.

3 Likes

We might be of more help if you post a video of your attempts!

I can’t think of many ways a ninja vanish would snag on the way up unless you have a responsive yoyo or very bad string tension. I’d definitely make sure that your string is tension free when learning or performing any slack tricks.

As far as knots go, you are trying to land inside of a green triangle - which is basically landing inside of a knot. There’s a chance that you’re whipping the yoyo THROUGH the triangle hole completely - essentially making a knot hole and jumping through it instead of landing inside of it.

2 Likes

Ninja Vanish can be hard to get down consistently. Best advice is to:

1. Have neutral string tension/ newer string
  2. Grab the string 1/4 in length (palm up and pivoting hard to the right)
  3. Don’t hop the yoyo higher than string level on your TH. The yoyo is going to drop under the string, not above it!
  4. Make sure you’re pinching hard enough. Pivoting to the right, you will see the slack. Actively pivot the slack around towards the gap of the yoyo
  5. Learn Ninja Grind. I think that will help you learn the ninja vanish movement easier!
  6. Hop out the front
3 Likes

I’m about to turn in for the night, but I’ll try to take a video tomorrow.

My string tension is neutral. That makes sense about getting a knot by missing the string I’m supposed to land on, though. Thanks!

2 Likes

Most likely, you are hopping the yoyo too high while not slacking hard enough clockwise to form the slack in the first place. You want to aim into the gap of the yoyo, to increase accuracy.

1 Like

Sorry for the delay - the past few days have been busy.

My first few attempts I’m sure I was hopping it too high. A few I’m sure hit the gap though.

On that snag it looks like the slack is thrown into the gap from below, causing a bind.

One thing that stands out to me is that I see a lot of movement from the throw hand, possibly trying to guide the slack. I don’t think this is necessary, and may be distorting the slack and overall complicating things.

1 Like

At least from what I understand is happening here, you are not actually whipping behind the string. In the whip, you need the laceration string to go behind the string between you TH and NTH, which will form the Green triangle. Right now, you are whipping the string directly into the gap(Not from behind the string), which is causing the yoyo to bind and knot.

1 Like

The first thing I noticed is that you’re whipping A LOT of string. It looks like you’re pinching about 2/3rds of the way up the string. IMO, you only need about 1/4 or 1/3 of the string at most. I imagine this will give you a bit more control and allow you to make the movement smaller and more precise. When you get a feel for the trick, you can vary the amount of string you use to change the size/appearance of the triangle to your liking, but it may be easier to use less for now.

Also, as someone else alluded to, it looks like you’re focusing a lot on a circular/clockwise hand motion to whip the string into the gap. I tend to whip my ninja vanish back towards myself. You want the string to whip up and flip back over itself. The loop that you’re landing in should approach the yoyo from behind - not the side.

A cue that might help with this motion: I notice that when you finish your whip, the palm of your non-throwhand is kinda facing towards your left due to your whip moving in a circular motion across your body. When my whip is complete, the palm of my non-throwhand is basically facing out directly in front of me - like I’m checking the time on my watch.

It’s hard to describe, but it feels less like whipping a circle with my arm and more like I’m lifting my hand up and abruptly turning it over.

Hope this helps!

1 Like

Here’s the main difference imo. You don’t want the slack move straight in front of you, but a bit to the side towards the yoyo. Video contains ninja knot/or maybe the second extreme - nothing at all - and ninja Vanish, what’s later was for somebody else before you. But you can check that too, it’s the same principle.

2 Likes

Thanks for the replies, everyone! When I get some more time to yoyo, I’ll put these tips into practice.

1 Like

I tried putting everyone’s tips into practice, and I think this in particular was the game changer. I’ve landed it multiple time tonight and gotten zero knots on the few misses!

Thanks!

1 Like