New yoyo - too responsive

Also always get a pack of strings. I’ve got like 150 strings and it still isn’t enough lol

Every yoyo+bearing combination has a characteristic sound and many combinations are extremely different from one another. The dv888 will sound nothing like your PSG. I doubt there’s anything wrong (unless the bearing becomes tug responsive!).

Enjoy!

After some more playing with it… it kinda is. When I first tried it, it was completely unresponsive but now, after a couple hours, I’ve hit my hand a few times trying to toss it upwards to do a finger grind.

Not uncommon. I’ve heard of people playing through new bearings that are responsive (being aware that it could jump at you with certain tricks!) until it goes back to unresponsive, but I’ve never done that. When a bearing is more responsive than I prefer, I take it out and put a spare in. Then when I’m in the mood I clean it and lightly lube it. After lubing, it WILL be a bit responsive for a while, but it’s at that point that I “play through it” until the lube has broken in.

There are zillions of threads that better explain cleaning than I could, if that’s the route you decide to go.

Can’t the response pads be the reason why the yoyo is so responsive?

The Dv888 was my first metal as well. Its a great step up from the plastic yoyos and for the price you cant beat it. As for breaking the yoyo you have better odds at breaking your knuckles then breaking the yoyo cause they can take a beating. Way more then a plastic that’s for sure. I also really enjoy my protostar though and even though have tons of good metal throws I pick up the protostar up at least 4-5 times a week. IMO to fond the right yoyo you gotta try out a bunch and find what shape, weight and style fits your needs but for the time being the dv888 is a great first metal. Good luck

Sure. Without seeing in which way it’s responsive, it’s hard to tell. The kind of responsive where the string “chases” the axle when hopping up out of a sleeper is usually the result of the bearing or bearing seat, though. The kind of responsive where it binds easily and unexpectedly from X# of string wraps is going to be the pads.

In theory, super responsive pads could help the string start to “chase” the axle also… but it’s more likely to be bearing-related.

When you flick the bearing does it spin well or does it stop right after the spin? I have found that certain string gets my yoyo very responsive after a short time (expecially the yye string) maybe try using a thinner string format or try cleaning your bearing although if its new the bearing shouldn’t need to be cleaned but you never know. If that doesn’t work then pop one side of the response out and that should help.

Also some times the response pads just need to be broken in good so just throw it a lot but dont be trying tricks. That will be bashing your hands up tell you know its not gonna shoot back at your hands. Welcome to the glory of metal yoyos :slight_smile: your hands will never be the same lol

It spins for around… 2-3 seconds… I guess? Don’t remember exactly. Also I tried the same string on my other yoyo and works perfectly fine :S

Oh well, the main problem is that I can’t afford getting lube right now so if I clean it I won’t be able to add lube afterwards(which is bad, I guess). I will try just using it for a while.

Plenty of people run bearings dry (no lube). If you have the means to clean it, I say go fer it.

Guess I’ll try 3-in-1. Cleaning it doesn’t seem really hard. More like time consuming.

The DV888 was my second yoyo, after my DM2, and I still have it today. It’s a beater. I’ll upload a picture of the dings when I get home!

Ya I would give it a cleaning. A lot of people throw dry bearings and they work fine. Sometimes there louder but whatever. Also adding lube can make the bearing responsive until its worked into the ball bearings. You could also try a concaved or center track bearing to keep the string away from the response area a little better.

Also usually I can tell if the bearing needs a cleaning by holding the yoyo half and flicking the bearing and of there is a slight vibe feeling in your hand chances are there is some stuff stuck in the bearing. Cleaning bearings can be a pain in the neck some times so I usually dont shield them again but you might need to clean them more often since there isn’t anything blocking particles from getting inside.

I should note that if I grab my yoyo and move the string a bit(therefore moving the bearing) I can hear a noise. This doesn’t really happen with my other yoyo. It’s like if the bearing had a loose piece or something.

Sound means absolutely nothing as far as bearing go. They all sound different. You could have two of the same yoyos with the same bearings and they will sound different.

I think the trigger beats my North Star (same thing as a protostar) and its cheaper.

Not really the same thing except it shares the same shape. They play very different. The northstar plays heavier and solid while the protostar has a faster floatier feel to it. Both great yoyos though but I would go with the protostar if your looking for a nice plastic.

Solved everything after some maintenance. Thanks everyone for your help :smiley: