New YoYo String Breaks?

I just received my new YoYo string today and as I was excited about them, I strung one of my Metal YoYo’s that had no string and within the first dozen throws, the strong snapped. Is it normal to buy a 5-pack and get these results? If so, that’s not a problem, but I want to make sure I understand for future purchases. I have put it on a plastic yoyo, much lighter and haven’t had any problems yet.

5 PACK - SLICK 6 Yo-Yo String was the string that I got.

Strings definitely shouldn’t break that fast. What yo-yo were you using? If a string is breaking after a few throws then it typically means there is an unusual amount of wear on the string. Is there a rough spot or scratch in the catch zone of the yo-yo that the string might be rubbing against?

No. It’s an old Duncan Metal Drifter. I just recently got back into YoYoing, so bare with my poor YoYo selection. I purchased some new bearings for it, so I will test with the new one once I receive it.

Yeah, an old locked up bearing can cause a lot of friction on the string. That may be the issue.

Or: is the yoyo screwed together tight enough, and all the correct spacers in the drifter? If not the string could be slipping between the shell and the bearing. That’s a sure string cutter.

Are you putting the string on the bearing or the axle? 

2 Likes

One other thing. Is the string breaking on the loop around the bearing so it comes completely off the yoyo? Or does it break above that point, leaving some string on the yoyo? If so, how long is the tail?

Breaks at the loop. The tail is very short and now very frayed.

So it’s not breaking the part that is wrapped on the bearing then. If it’s breaking above that point and leaving a frayed tail there is most likely a rough spot in that area of the shell. What are the pads like? Are they rough or lifted off in spots?

Pretty sure it is not a string problem, but something with your throw. I had to sand some of my throws because they were doing this. Hopefully the next strings do not break.

Is the yoyo dinged on the inside by the bearing anywhere? The string may be snagging every rotation.

Could you post pics of the two halves next to each other?

Also pics of the broken string as well?

I will gladly do this tonight. I think my wife may have thrown the string out, but think if I dig around enough I can find it! :slight_smile:

no worries if not, it could just tell us where to start looking for the underlying issue. :slight_smile:

I only break strings on my fixed axle loopers. My bearing yoyos always have the string get all gross and dead long before it breaks. I think like the others suggested, you probably have something rubbing on the string causing it to fail.

Is it just this one string, or has it broken multiple strings?

I’ve had issues with fresh Duncan’s sticker cutting off strings on my Freehand, it may sound hardly believable but I have the ding marks to prove, and no, there was no rough spot in the inner wall.

On the topic of string cutting yoyos… Have you guys ever played this? http://shop.yoyoexpert.com/product/1199/IYYC-Breathe

Just the one.

I might throw on a new string and see what happens.
Maybe it was a bum string?