New Years YoYo Resolution(s)

Given how close we are to the new year, I thought it would be fun to throw out some yo-yo related resolutions.

A few I can think of are:

Learn new tricks more often
I’m actually relatively satisfied with the amount of new stuff I’ve learned this year, but I know it could be more

Create more tricks
Again, I come up with a decent amount of elements when messing around, but I either can’t find good ways to build into a solid trick or I can’t recreate what I did because I wasn’t paying enough attention.

Buy less yoyos
Lol. I actually see this as rather easy to accomplish. I went a little overboard trying stuff after not buying a yo-yo for years.

4 Likes

my big one is:
get a yoyo that is not a beater lol

i do want to learn more tricks

get better at string making

learn more tricks

2 Likes

My goal this year is to podium at the AZ state contest.

3 Likes
  • Win the Trick ladder at UK Nats
  • Buy less yoyos
  • Make a 2~3 minute 1a freestyle
  • Learn at least 1 trick a week
  • become a super rookie :slight_smile:
3 Likes
  • Buy fewer jos/collect more strategically
  • Learn more tricks/recapture that spark to learn more tricks

This year hasn’t been great mentally for me, and I’ve fallen out of a lot of the hobby stuff (yoyoing, miniature painting, board gaming) that really brought me joy and a sense of accomplishment. Meanwhile I’ve been using “retail therapy” a lot, and while I’m lucky enough to be able to afford it, the wifey and I wanna start prioritizing traveling and other activities. So overall, I’m gonna be aiming to buy less this year and use/enjoy what I already have for all of my hobbies.

I’m still gonna collect throws—I still need an OG Banshee to complete my Banshee collection, I’ll be collecting the OD Rev series, and I’m buying every Duncan bimetal that comes out—but I’m aiming for less impulse buys/purchases that I know are really motivated by the desire to acquire something.

2 Likes

I’ve been there before. Sometimes a little break can rejuvenate your interest, but if you let that break go on too long you can end up forgetting how much enjoyment you got from those hobbies.

2 Likes

Yeah. I can tell you right now I’m not going to be able to keep this one!! lol

Honestly, my resolution is to just not quit.
Damn I love this hobby. Have since the early 2000’s when I was first into it. And I’ve always wanted to get good at something skill based.
But I’ve always given up on things early on.

This is my New Year’s Resolution.
Don’t Give Up!!

2 Likes

Yeah I’m starting to get out of that break. @twitch77 and @MoonageMin’s Trick-A-Week thread’s been inspiring me, and I’ve been low-key practicing Kamikaze here and there.

I’m also pulling stuff out of my yoyo case and rediscovering throws I barely threw when I got them, and that’s been kinda inspiring, too. Haymaker X, TiPowerX, and Barracuda X all gonna get some love pretty soon. (Actually played the Barracuda X a fair bit after people were asking for comparisons and it’s grown on me.)

3 Likes

I was worried about this too when I first got into throwing a couple of years ago, but the nice thing about this hobby is that you can really go try hard with learning new tricks/perfecting your technique/competing etc when you want to but also just throwing what you know when you wanna chill. Also the community here is one that I wanna interact with regardless of whether or not throwing is involved so you all keep the magic alive for me whenever I’m not feeling it as much.

2 Likes

I think if you can stick with the trick program you are doing right now for a while that will be helpful in that regard. IMO yoyoing reaches peak enjoyment when you’ve learned enough tricks and elements that you can just casually throw continuously without really doing any specific tricks and just mess around, occasionally finding something new.

3 Likes

This is my current aim of where I want to be.
I want to be able to just Jam with music on.
Right now I still do but I have limited tricks to really keep it going

1 Like

You hit the nail on the head with all 3 of these lol

2 Likes

I’m sure these are pretty common around here, just at varying levels for different people.

4 Likes

I wanna go to Nats and Worlds. Save that money kid

2 Likes

I want to learn more “classic” string tricks like superman, spirit bomb, etc. I suck at learning from videos but I think forcing myself to learn difficult tricks will make me a better yoyoer.

3 Likes

Learn more tricks
Throw at least once a day (build the habit of at least one throw - doesn’t need to be a complex trick, just a gravity pull. Not trying to start a Cal Ripkin, Jr. Ironman streak, just trying to keep at the front of my mind that even if I’m feeling down in the dumps, there are things that bring me joy.

1 Like

not strip 5 yoyos. :grimacing:

1 Like