New Hobbies or Pets Since COVID-19?

Dude good for you!
This is something I’ve struggled with a TON over the 10+ years since I’ve lived on my own. It’s gotten just about as bad as some of the places you’d see on the “Hoarders” tv show.
I walked around in life with a huge amount of shame and self hatred over it.
I was super lucky to find a life coach of sorts about 1 1/2 years ago who’s helped me turn things around. I didn’t feel comfortable with her actually cleaning for me…but she’d come to my place once or twice a week and we’d just chat away…while I’d slowly work my way through each room picking up all the trash and junk.
Took me months…but it slowly got there.
It’s been over a year now since I’ve let it get out of hand. It’s still a struggle though! I don’t think I’d be able to do it on my own either…but my life coach lady comes each week still and that keeps me motivated to keep it picked up.

I feel so much better living in a nice place. It really does give me a lot of peace of mind. I’m not paranoid of people seeing my apartment now…in fact I invite people over now! I’m really proud of my place!

Really proud of you man! This is a VERY healthy thing for you and I hope you’re feeling super proud of yourself!

6 Likes

Dude, I know! I was thinking about YOU this morning when I was cleaning. I read those posts. I was never near a hoarder but the clutter! I have at least another month off and there’s more I want to do. It’s not dirtiness, it’s just condensing stockpiles of art and paintings, photos, art supplies, books - just getting it all in a semi organized neater looking way.

7 Likes

That looks awesome!

Here’s me controlling an RC 50, which is a few generations older, and also designed to be operated with your feet. The only prerecorded part is the drum beat/kb loop clicked in before the first verse. We also made drum beats live on other tunes, and you can see I’m sitting on a cajon, which was miked.

The end (well 5:00 in lol) has me playing some leads, and the very end has Sue stacking vocal harmonies, and me stacking Ebow parts.

Lol, 5 years = 47 views and 1 like… :roll_eyes: :rofl:

3 Likes

I have taken up competitive pokemon battles

4 Likes

This was really neat!
This is the kind of chill stuff I like to yo to!

2 Likes

Ive been baking a bit again, kitchen is stacked pretty well, but its missing a certain silicone baking mat :wink:

jk (mostly)

lol :sweat_smile:

4 Likes

Super cool man! do you still make music?

4 Likes

Thanks!

I teach, and I before the virus, I was giving toddler music classes.

Since I started Rehearse Live, I haven’t been in a band. I do miss it.

I used to have a Funk/Rock/Fusion band called The Lonliest Monks. I’d love to do something like that again.

I should pull out the looper though, and create with it.

I just got really tired of one or two measure drum tracks with no dynamics. The next live thing I do will have to have a real drummer or percussionist, even if it still uses a looper.

Thanks!

6 Likes

How about a breakfast themed metal band called ThrashBrowns?

8 Likes

New hobbies!? I sure do have a new hobby, thanks for asking! :grimacing:

7 Likes

I’ve been learning to play the board game space hulk with my son. I bought a 1st edition copy of it early last year but I put it away in the loft for the future me to play.

Now I’m here, I’m really enjoying it! A well balanced game that requires strategy and a few lucky dice rolls! I even got my wife to have a go and she liked it too!

Purge the Xenos!

Anyone else played it before?

10 Likes

Galarian Darumaka is a beast.

3 Likes

Looking at building a new catch box and breaking out a sling shot. Catch box saves your ammo
for re-use. Blasting can’s in half is therapeutic for some reason.

6 Likes

I got a decent slingshot 2 summers ago. I live near woods and would just use small suitable pebbles. Pebbles fly kinda unpredictably though.I did buy shot but never used it - a catchbox would be a good reason to start using it. Right now the only boxes I have are slightly larger than a yoyo.

4 Likes

I haven’t tried Space Hulk but my wife and I are really enjoying Descent, which is a similar game. Glad you’re enjoying it! The Warhammer 40K universe is kinda a guilty pleasure of mine and while I know I’m likely never getting into the strategy game, I’ve been curious about Space Hulk, Blackstone Citadel, and other board games in that universe.

5 Likes

sence covid ive gotten into skateboarding, so far a suvit and strawberry milk shake are the only tricks I know

2 Likes

Mine is a guilty pleasure too but I’m really enjoying it! I’ve not heard of Descent but I’ll take a look. I was always apprehensive about the table top wargaming scene but with Space Hulk, it’s basically a board game set in the 40k universe which makes it easier to handle. I highly recommend it.

3 Likes

I’ll have to pull out Axis and Allies.

I almost bought the European and Pacific versions to play the much more detailed global version, but I ended up buying the Gan robot and cube instead. I’ve had fun with it, even though I suck as a speed cuber.

Google Photos

5 Likes

JFA is one of the best all-skater bands ever… (early 80’s)

Scared Straight was an old skate band… (mid-80’s)

Morel mushroom hunting is a new post-covid hobby for me. Great excuse to explore the forest.

12 Likes