New clyw recommendation?

It’s been a while since I bought a new throw, and fell in love with clyw since I got my Arctic circle (1).

I have been looking at the scout and the borealis, both of which I like the look of. The color schemes available in the scout look better to me than the borealis but I know there was so much hype for the borealis.

I don’t enjoy anything that is too heavy on the string, I enjoy floaty and somewhat fast play.

Anything you all recommend is helpful, even if it isn’t one of the two mentioned above!
Thank you!

I have not played the scout, but i do have a Borealis it was my first new CLYW it is pretty light on the string. It took me some time to adjust but the more i throw it the more it separates itself from my other throws. Smooth, stable, and just good all around throw. Just be aware at least on mine i had to use a thin string for a while for the pads to break in they were very grabby and hurt spin times for a week or so.

Just bought a Chief, Gnar 2, and Big Dipper so pretty excited to have some more Caribous to throw!

What strings do you recommend? Did you throw it stock? I was considering getting some ir pads, as well as a different bearing (maybe ceramic?)

I saw some posts on the cloud string, may consider that. Otherwise, I use thin kitty string and love it.

Some of my favorites are YYSL type x or Venom the type x is about the size of kitty fat the venom is bigger than that but they both are much softer. I did just get some of the Monkey Finger Apes in today and they are awesome but also thicker.

If you use kitty normal it will be ok thats what i am using in it now. They shipped a string that was slightly thinner than the kitty normal but I’m not sure what it was. The Ctx bearings aren’t bad just kinda loud. I like the Dif-e-yo bearings and the YYR DS Platinum (SUPER smooth) bearings.

If you liked the Arctic Circle then you’ll probably like the Borealis. I wouldn’t personally describe the Borealis as floaty, I think it has a rather solid feel on the string but it is definitely a top performer. The Scout feels a bit more relaxed and floaty but I think if you want a floaty CLYW then the Chief would be the way to go or an Orca if you want a faster yoyo. If you are willing to wait a bit and likely pay a bit more, you could go for a Blizzard (CLYW’s new bi-metal).

Regardless of what you pick you’ll end up with a great yoyo though, I am yet to be disappointed with a CLYW.

I agree with lex. Borealis is not floaty in my opinion. It’s a solid stable throw but not that light on the string compared to the chief. Also, all I have is kitty fat and it was super snaggy on the borealis. With that being said I still think it’s a fantastic throw.

I have both Scout and Orca. Scout is faster, lighter, and floatier than orca by miles. (COntrary to Lex) Orca is comfy, heavier, and I find it relaxed and I find it much slower in comparison. Both are excellent, but I feel I have to change my fav from Orca to Scout.

Never played a chief but is my next planned purchase.

Cloud strings are thin and amazing if you can get them. BG1 Yellow jackets for a fatter string that are some of the best ive every played.

Bearings seems to also be a personal choice. I like Terrapin Ceramic and DSB Platinums. Both are simply excellent. Terrapin Dry lube for final spin increasing touch and your more than good to go.

1 Like

Based on your preference I’d say Scout. To me the Scout is faster and floatier while the borealis is more solid and stable with a bit better spin times.

However if you are willing to wait for the blizzard(first week of march) and don’t mind a solid color throw I’d really recommend that since it’s one of the fastest and floatiest clyw throws while benefiting from it’s bi-metal design to have the same stableness and spin as a heavier throw.

Puffin 2.

Oh no! Lol I went with the borealis >.<

I hope I still enjoy it though! In a way though, it may be nice to have a change of pace… Maybe having a yoyo that performs quite differently than the one I have may be pretty nifty for the time being.

I can always get the scout in a little while.

The blizzard does sound really nice. I almost wanted a space cowboy but I heard it was like a brick in the string. I am also surprised you all say that the orca is fast because from what I had heard it’s like a rock so I figured it would be too hefty for my preference.

However, I don’t currently own any bimetals so I may get the blizzard just to have a nice clyw that is even more different. I may wait until they have more dynamic color schemes.

So do you feel I will be disappointed with the borealis? I don’t have a huge collection, the Arctic circle is my only true too end yoyo I have, so I don’t know if I ought to feel bad for having many different styles of yoyos.

Highly doubtful that youll find any kind of disappointment in your decision. :slight_smile:

1 Like

You won’t be disappointed with the Borealis. Given that you like your Arctic Circle and both that and the Borealis were designed for the same player, if you enjoy one you should enjoy the other as well. Having a broad range of yoyo so in terms of play is a good thing, especially when you have a smaller collection.

I personally find the Orca to be the lightest feeling and fastest CLYW I own.

So it wouldn’t be bizarre to venture to own as many clyw yoyos that I can get?

I had a C3 capless prior to clyw. Now I just want to try them all. Lol

Additionally, I am interested in learning more advanced play that is closer to today’s play styles. I was using yotricks.com, but I am not plateauing. Where do I go from here to learn a lot of the more complicated tricks I see people doing today? Just YouTube any tutorials I can find?

The Cabin Tutorials on the CLYW youtube channel have some great advanced tricks as does mrmatio.