CLYW scout or borealis?

Should I get the scout or borealis? I usually don’t do super fast tricks, and I like the shutter and pulsefire. This is probably the only clyw yoyo that I will be able to afford for a while, so I want to make the right choice. Which one do you prefer? Thanks for any advice given :slight_smile:

It really depends on your style. I believe that the Scout plays a little fast than the Borealis but the Borealis is a little more stable than the Scout. I wouldn’t personally know because I’ve never owned either but that’s what I see from looking at the profile. The Scout is more V shaped with a mid step and the Borealis has bigger rims, H-shaped. and has a mid step. The Scout is just a little wider than the Borealis but it’s your preference. The Scout is Petr Kavka’s model and the Borealis is Zach’s model that he used to win WYYC 2015. Hope you like your choice.

1 Like

I have only thrown a Borealis once, and it was pretty good. I only threw it a couple of times, so I can’t really say how it plays too well, I just know I liked it. I do own a Big Dipper, which is basically a plastic version of it and I absolutely love it.
As for the Scout, I own one of those and I love this thing. It’s so good. Almost like an upgraded Chief. It is solid and has some weigh to it, but it can also go fast if you want it to.

My suggestion would be to get a Scout, then get a Big Dipper for only $35 instead of trying to buy another Borealis.

1 Like

I haven’t tried either Shutter or a pulsefire so I can’t compare them to the CLYWs but I do own both a Scout and Borealis.

The Scout feels reasonably nimble and has a nice balance between float and solidness. It has a very nice rounded V-shape and is able to play both relaxed and reasonably quickly. The Borealis is much more chunky feeling, with quite a bit of heft behind it. It is quite a bit slower than the Scout and is more stable (though the Scout is plenty stable anyway).

I personally much prefer the Scout, it is one of my favourite CLYWs whereas I don’t like the Borealis quite so much. The Borealis is just a bit too hefty for my tastes while the Scout is probably tied with the Chief as my favourite CLYW.

1 Like

I decided to get a scout. I think I will love it, and I can’t wait for it to arrive. Thank you for your help and suggestions! :smiley:

Get a fools gold scout and save some cash!