Need some (general) recs

So I’m still fairly new to throwing, with only a Magicyoyo V3 and Crystal to my name. My wishlist is filled with a bunch of really great-looking throws, but in the end, I know little about how each shape, material, etc… play.

The overall style of play I seem to enjoy is slower, methodical, and very flowy 1A play. I’m not interested in speed or force, but in the natural progression of tricks and combos.

That being said, what type of throws should I be looking for? What shapes? What materials?

So far I’m tending to lean more toward visually appealing yo-yos, with my “Short” list containing:

• Prohibition Speakeasy
  • Thesis Aventus
  • iYoYo iCEBERG
  • GWAY Geedorah
  • Atmos Snowberry
  • Offset Deviant
  • Thesis Invictus
  • MikeMonty Mori
  • C3 Jenos
  • C3 Speedaholic XX

(I should mention there are already several strings I’m interested in, and am more sure about which ones to purchase and test than I am actual throws)

2 Likes

I have a Deviant and an Aventus and have an Iceberg arriving today. Aventus and Deviant are solid for sure. 2 of my favorites I reach for frequently. I also have 2 Invictus (per personal favorite aesthetically) and it is probably my favorite monometal but may be harder to get now that stocks are either sold out or limited in color selection everywhere I have looked. Definitely recommend matte vs the gloss for the Invictus, especially if you are into grinds at all. I struggle with those on the gloss one I have but they are a breeze on the matte finish. Might also check out the Thesis/2Sick paladin. I have one of those as well but it seems to want to play a little faster from what I can tell.

1 Like

If you’re into the visual aesthetic/colors I’d take a look at the monarch, definitely a bit bias but it has the coolest colorways available ATM and has a more relaxed pace that you’re looking for.

On your list I’d go with geedorah or speakeasy. Both great throws by amazing people.

3 Likes

I love the look of the Monarch, especially the purples! It’s moved back and forth between my short and long list :slight_smile:

speedaholic xx is great. very distinct flavor of plastic as compared to the crystal. as for metal, i’d say get something competitive and something fun. one drop still has some nitro’s on their website and those strike a great balance between fun and performers and is a great choice if you want organic.

for pure performance the deviant and invictus are great picks and i’d like to add any c3 throw in there as well with special mention towards the krown for essentially being their shutter and the laevateinn for a wonderfully refreshing feel at the end of the string and being so darn cheap. happy trails!

1 Like

well if you like cool looking yoyo save up for the top yo frozen, it LOOKS really awesome

1 Like

The short non-answer is get everything you think you might like. Only by trying them will you be able to determine if you like them or if they match your play style. Then you’ll build up informed opinions like “Ugh! It is over 68 grams in this shape. Who would throw this rock!” or “Who thought spikes would be a good idea on something that lands in your hand!” or the inverse of those.

Finding other throwers IRL is probably best for trying out different shapes and materials.

The longer not a great answer is that, it depends. Sometimes what you like (material and shape wise) will be different for different things on different days with different string. If you’re trying to figure out a new combo you might want a heavy, long spinning, stable bi-metal. If you’re trying to do chopstick tricks maybe a smaller diameter and width might be easier to learn with. If you want to carry something in your pocket or try really dense tech tricks you may want to get a thin yoyo. If you want your hands to hurt less practicing tough binds maybe you want a rounded, light, plastic. Eli hops or things that require big catches maybe a wide yoyo will be better to play with. Maybe you like quiet yoyos or have a need to not wake up the baby during nap time in that case a cheap loose bearing plastic or big metal bell shape with whistle holes would NOT be what you want. Other days a cheap throw may be what you want to carry down to the pier because you won’t be devastated if it slips off your finger into the ocean.

Also don’t completely neglect responsives. Hitting a trapeze with a looper can improve your accuracy and will make it seem easy when you switch back to a wide unresponsive. We just don’t talk about our ability to loop (or not as is the case with me) :joy:

3 Likes

Can’t recommend the Speedaholic enough. Mine spins as long and longer than most everything else I have, is perfect for grinds and spins, looks awesome and is just plain fun. Only $28 to boot.

If you want a metal, I’d recommend the OD Free Solo. They are currently available and ridiculously smooth and quiet. The finish is second to none. I also like the Panorama (also available) for just chilling out while still being able to do all I know. It’s a slimline, thou, and might not be your cup of tea. It wasn’t mine at first, but I took it to my kid’s karate class for two hours, and now I’m smitten. Again, glass smooth.

If YYE ever gets this Top Deck drop, I think it will also be a recommendation. If you can’t tell, I recently found One Drop, and so far, they are a cut above everything else for me. Fantastic quality, and if you don’t like it, they seem to do well on the BST.

4 Likes

I will say just getting back myself a few recommended the speedaholicxx and I love it great throw looks great 100% recommend!

1 Like

If you’re new save the money and get the speedaholic xx while you learn.

1 Like

Generally speaking they say organic shapes play more relaxed and floaty/flowy. That Snowberry on your list hits the mark beautifully. Grab a OneDrop MCMO for a nice flowy metal.

When your ready to progress into more tech style or speedier style play grab something V or H shaped.

2 Likes

Slow and Floaty? One thing comes to my mind is the Rebellion GOLYAT, these are underrated IMO and my play experience is super fun to throw at anywhere. Sometimes I consider it as a step brother of the New Diffusion by yyr (even though they are the same brand).

2 Likes

Another vote for the Speedaholic XX. I bought mine early on in my yoyo journey and it’s still in my regular throwtation. A fantastic bargain at 28 bucks. Very durable, very smooth. Plays on the floaty side which should fit the style you describe, but the inherent disadvantage of “floaty” yoyos are that they scrub speed easier than a “powerful” yoyo.

The only other yoyo on your list that I own is the Iceberg, and I wouldn’t recommend this one for the style you’re going for. It’s an excellent throw but very powerful, lots of rim weight.

That’s just my opinion though, others with more experience will be able to advise better.

Ivan

1 Like

Hi. As a recently new thrower who bought way too many yoyos (and still do) myself, my advice would be to focus on your yo-yoing more than your yoyo (to quote Justin Dauer). And, if you’re going to buy/collect/hoard yoyos, don’t buy them faster than you can play/evaluate them or you’ll end up with a lot of yoyos that are too similar or just too many to appreciate each one.

Your list has some great ones on it and a few I’ve never tried. Of the ones I’m familiar enough with, I really like the Invictus and of all the ones I haven’t tried yet, that Prohibition looks interesting.

…and if you feel the need to get a plastic one, you can’t go wrong with the Speedaholic XX.

3 Likes