Need some finger spin help

So I’m trying to learn finger spins and I have some problems. If any one is wondering I’m using the YYT Atlas.

1. Whenever It’s on my finger and spinning, sometimes it will just bind on its own, without me doing anything
  2. I cannot get the laceration bind to work.

Any tips?

5 Likes

Make sure you’re holding the string up high enough so that it’s not touching anything but the bearing. Make sure your bearing is in good working order. The laceration bind just takes practice. You want to pass your hand very close to the yo-yo. Don’t worry about catching the yo-yo with your hand facing the right direction at first, it’s much easier to do with your thumb pointing up. Once you can consistently hit the gap, you can make appropriate adjustments… like doing a vortex bind instead :slight_smile:

3 Likes

When unresponsive yoyos start to come back on their own, The first things you should check are the response pads and the bearings. If the response pad is poking out then it will cause the yoystring to bind. If the bearing sounds wierd or if it becomes grabby, you probably need to clean it.

3 Likes

When I was learning how to do finger spins, I would hold the yoyo horizontally without it spinning and would just practice throwing the string into the gap of the yoyo. Make sure you are getting enough slack into the gap so it could bind. I think that drill would help you with that issue.

6 Likes

For the laceration make sure your hand ends up CLOSE to the yoyo. That way you’re aiming your hand, not the string.

The yoyo can come back on its own if you give it too much slack when trying to land it on your finger. Make sure you sort of lift the string out of the way so it’s not touching any of the gap/response.

3 Likes

I think problem number 1 is just I’m doing a helix bind somehow. My response pads are fine and I’m pretty sure my bearing is to and usually when it does bind it does a helix motion. For problem 2 I almost landed it just now but I failed.

That’s… interesting. Sounds to me like your bearing is being slightly responsive, and while you’re holding the string up and keeping it off the response and body of the yo-yo, the bearing is starting a response and since your hand is high enough it’s doing a vortex.

I’ve had that happen before. I’d try a different bearing or clean the bearing. Another thing you can do in a pinch is to hold the string more parallel and keep it almost taught, not enough to tilt the yo-yo but enough to prevent the outer race of the bearing from spinning.