Need help choosing responsive throw. -merged-

I don’t think it will spin slower, but it will slow down faster. It will sleep for a shorter amount of time, and it will return with slack given that you put enough lube in there. After experimenting, a drop of 3 in 1 oil (about the same as thick lube) will make my yoyo somewhat responsive, and two drops will make it completely responsive.

Well, reducing sleep time and slack causing a return are pretty much synonymous with responsive throws. Just find a good balance of lube.

Walter. Metal… Responsive… Awesome…

I put it where all the other threads are that I read and respond to that are opinionated about general yoyoing, bearings, strings, etc… There are 5-6 threads asking opinions about such stuff in this general section on the first pages so figured this was correct section. I visit a lot of various forums and try to post in correct section as to get the responses that am seeking. When it was moved to child boards figured they thought I didn’t have any knowledge at all or was a child.

I did get a few responses suggesting lube and begginer throws which aren’t what I’m looking for unless lube on a completely unresponsive yoyo will really work. Just don’t see how it could but like I said I don’t honestly know for sure. If its that easy I could just buy a 888 or something similar.

Ill check out the Walter.

Lol! Child board are not for children, man, they are the “child” of the main board.

Lol I did get a laugh.

Yeah, a Child board is like a subsection. In this case, “looking for help/reccomendation” (where this kind of thread is supposed to be) is a “child” of “yoyo reviews.”

Motivation, skill etc… Every now and then when throwing with my two children I play responsive for no other reason than to have fun tossing the yoyo wherever I want and back to my hand, do stop and go while they laugh, do looping tricks (not really into looping but with the children).

I’m not a skilled player but can do most of the tricks up until the expert tuts here. I currently use the DM2 responsive when play with them but don’t like the feel. The chief feels ok to me but some what hollow and the ricochet feels great (nice and dense/solid feeling). I have a few other plastics/non metals but want a metal just for responsive play.

Yup. Lube will make just about any yoyo responsive.

Lube or a half spec are the way to go

Ill try it out on the speed bearing of the DM2 just to see how it plays.

Omg. Two drops of thick lube killed DM2 speed bearing. That is def not what I’m looking for. Will clean it and try one drop but think half spec or something like the Walter would be much better. Will try and see though.

be careful what you put the half spec bearing in though, some axles are too long to accept a 1/2 spec bearing

Start with a very small amount of lube and then add more to make it more responsive.

Yeah that’s true and have no idea which metals would work with 1/2 spec and stock axle.

No modern yoyo with a large gap will be good for looping.
If you want a metal responsive yoyo, buy a Walter somehow.
If you want to buy a responsive yoyo, get a velocity, a fast 201 or a classic, or just play your DM2 responsive. A expensive responsive metal yoyo won’t play better than these.

A responsive yoyo means that if you give slack near the yoyo response, it will catch and get back to your hand, so whips are extremely hard to do (unless you’re ninja and adjusted your string tension perfectly for it, slack is going to get on the response), and most of the tricks taught on the advanced/expert part of this site will not be possible unless you do them extremely cleanly.

If you want to try something responsive and new, try fixed axle play, it’s very very hard though.

I’m gonna say it again, as it seems to be unnoticed. Tom Kuhn SB-2. I loved mine in the '90s. Just bought a new one off the BST last night. Responsive metal throw. No response system required. No lube required.

What about the ILYY Trvth? No ones mentioned it yet, but if you can find one, get it.

Duncan Magnetude!!! I played with one at Worlds, and I think it is the best responsive yoyo you could get. It is expensive though…

Lol. I’m not into looping so don’t know where that came from. I may throw a loop or two playing around just like I posted above. A Walter seems like a good fit for what I’m looking for and stated that as well.

Just because I’m looking for metal doesn’t mean I don’t know how slack works. I like metal plain and simple. I asked about slack concerning lube as well as speed, and everything else since had never tried thick lube before. It worked as far as making a large bearing responsive but that was about all it did. It is a pointless bearing in my DM2 right now with only 2 drops.

I’m sorry that my search for a metal semi unresponsive throw leads to choosing non metals or throws that can only be found on BST but seems like that is where I may have to find most of my options.

The throw I’m in search of isnt for learning tricks. I can learn tricks with my metals that I currently have and have done that while throwing something I like the feel. I want this throw for messing around while teaching my children. I can throw the yoyo at theirs when they mess up and before they have time to react its back in my hand. Many return to the hand throws can be fun while teaching them while I enjoy the metal feeling at the same time.