Necroing Old Topics in General Yoyo

Been noticing a LOT of people necroing year+ old topics lately… What’s going on with that? I will see topics with 50+ unread replies and immediately be like “holy crap I missed out what’s going on?!” only to find it was a topic from several years ago that someone necro’d for seemingly no reason and only the most recent reply is the “new” one… What happened to netiquette?

Just start a new topic? Let dead dogs lie…

/end rant

5 Likes

some ppl be like ooo did you search the graveyard ? lol its a catch 22 if you’re trying to ask a question either ask something thats been asked before or necro a post also some posts should get bumped bc theyre interesting and i like doing this and i prolly necrod the posts youre talking about

7 Likes

When I first hopped back on here I was always told to just post on an older topic rather than filling the forum with the same threads, especially as something as frequent as “what’s your favorite yoyo?” So I’m just generally confused now lol

8 Likes

there is a string question once every other week in a new topic. It would be better if those where all part of one thread personally. Also some times the old topic is interesting enough to revive with all the new faces. It may not seem it but there has been a big surge of new yoyo players on the scene this last year or so with tick tock and youtube and such.

11 Likes

Yeah and shu on agt also got some new players here and that was dope

5 Likes

Yeah I’m not gonna drop names but I believe @GTDropKnot has been the culprit

5 Likes

Lol okay I did do 2 yesterday and I only meant to do the 1 but messed up the technical stuff but that is true about the same questions and I do that also and maybe there should like an ongoing best strings 2023 thread or something

6 Likes

A new post right below a 12 year old post complaining about new posts to a topic that had been dead for 2 years made my day.

9 Likes

I’m out of the loop, what? :rofl:

4 Likes
6 Likes

Lmao wow

1 Like

bst autolocks after 30 days of inactivity, yye could maybe do the same with other topics

3 Likes

It depends…
I generally prefer starting a new topic unless the previous topic is 6 months or less old. Even then I think a new topic is preferred. Anything more that a year should be left to molder at the bottom of the pile.

4 Likes

I don’t mind necros so much. There’s been several times an old post has been necro’d where I learned a lot of good information I might otherwise have missed out on.

But yeah, it’s kinda hard to choose the right answer. Half the people will ask why you necro’d. The other half will ask why didn’t you search and utilize an old topic since certain questions get asked frequently.

14 Likes

I wonder if a long absent forum member has ever been brought back to forum activity due to a notification from a post they created long ago which has recently been necro’d.

13 Likes

Sounds like we are summoning the old gods or something

6 Likes

Not old. Dead. But not forgotten.

THEY WILL RISE ONCE MORE!

5 Likes

It is also my fault, I have done it many times, I learnt for the “netiquette” that it is better to use already open post more than do new ones all the time, sometimes it happen that I have a topic in mind, start to write the title and appear on the side of the editor so I just use that one even if it is very old, also because sometimes in that topic there are already some nice answers

6 Likes

No Zombies? :zombie:SO many necromancers on this forum, :man_zombie: always bringing back the dead! :man_zombie:

4 Likes

I think that auto locking BST posts is appropriate because of their ephemeral nature; you get what you want and you’re done. A thread in General Discussion doesn’t have such an intentionally short life, and auto locking might discourage further relevant discussion on a topic.

5 Likes