Necroing Old Topics in General Yoyo

I got to read this because someone necroed it.

If people didn’t bring topics like this up to the top every once in a while, history like this would stay buried. I, for one, welcome our necromancers to the forums.

8 Likes

It’s not like bringing back an old, interesting, relevant topic is ruining lives and turning someone’s good day into a horrible one. No one is forced to open a topic and read it. It’s just a yoyo forum, not NASA. Read at your leisure.

9 Likes

An alternative to necroing is to start your own new thread on the topic, and link to the old discussion as reference. This avoids the issues associated with necroing and yet still provides the old thread as context for the new discussion. This is what you would be forced to do if the post autolocked after 6-12 months of inactivity. In general i think this has more benefits than drawbacks.

6 Likes

Why are there any drawbacks at all to commenting on an old topic? Just doesn’t really make sense like idk why anyone cares at all. It’s such a little thing and not a big deal at all. Reviving an old topic doesn’t hurt anyone or anything so I don’t know why op or anyone has a problem with it.

5 Likes

What are the issues associated with necroing?

I don’t mean that to sound condescending. I’m genuinely curious what the cons are.

4 Likes

i really think the only reason people are annoyed is because the platform notifies them, they have an unread thread with several hundred posts, or they don’t want to see their selves from a decade ago. Either way it’s all preference like most of yoyoing and every community I’ve been in has had this kind of issue with a forum format unless auto locking topics or some other mechanism was enforced.

As someone who has been in IT for a long time, I will say users will always go the path of least resistance. Many people will see starting a new post as a larger lift than commenting on an existing post. This platform recommended topics when you scroll to the bottom of a post, you’re on is probably why this happens frequently here. You have avid folks that are excited and seeing an interesting topic they want to get a word in on and maybe don’t realize the date or aren’t concerned because to them the topic is of import to them here and now.

If anything, this just further shows a boom in yoyo interest, new users and overall activity related to yoyoing along with old hands seeing new folk getting excited and joining back in. There are several threads that have speculated on why that is happening today but I’ll leave that topic to another thread we can necro in 6 months :wink:

4 Likes

The drawbacks to necroing are notifications and context.

Engaging in old threads will likely cause the OP to get email notifications for the responses, or anyone else you reply to, like, or at mention. By starting your own new thread you avoid responding to people who are no longer engaged in that old conversation.

I have read several necroed posts and didn’t realize it. I almost replied to people 10 years ago… that would have been embarrassing. I’ve also wasted like 30 minutes trying to understand why people are talking about old outdated things… only to realize i time warped to 2013.

4 Likes

I don’t see how replying to someone’s comment from a decade as embarrassing. Thats what a forum is. long form distant communication that can go on for months or years. its an iteration one step above an email chain but not as direct or instant as a chat and more persistent than a feed or comment system.

6 Likes

I’m very responsible for Necro activity of late. I believe I hold the record. I also believe I’m holding these baby’s right now. So smoothly smooth.

5 Likes