Nagging questions from a beginner

Thanks everyone for being so great. I got a few questions. Let me talk about string. Do you generally want to add a thinner string on a smaller size yo-yo and vice versa a larger string such as a kitty fat on a full-size throw? Or is it just a matter of preference? Bearings. Sometimes when I switch a center track bearing out for a regular flat it seems to add a smaller amount of vibration than the ct bearing. is this common? A small amount of vibe generally doesn’t bother me as most of it seems to be tied to my throws not being as consistent and straight as I’d like. Back to string. Long or short? With the loop on my finger the yo-yo hangs barely just an inch or so above the floor I have noticed some players like to use a much longer string is this just preference?also prior to restringing I will stretch the string out as the bounce tends to bother me a slight bit. Thank you all for taking the time to read these questions. I hope to get to know some of you better as I continue my journey with yo-yoing!

Most of your questions end up as personal preference.
For me, I have tried all kinds of string and continue to do so. I find I prefer a string the thickness of, say, the Kitty Normal. As far as length my strings are from my navel to the floor except for my looping throws which are much shorter.
The vibration with the change of the bearing just depends on the yoyo you are using. You just have to experiment.
As far as stretching the string I have never tried it so I do not know.
Sorry I can not give defining answers since it ends up all being your preference anyway.

Pro Tip: play the way that feels the best to you and switch things up every now and then, you can’t go wrong.

Happy accidents are one of the greatest things about yo-yoing. 5a is one of the legendary “happy accidents”.

5a an accident!? Right now Steve brown is rolling in his grave.

Small vs large throw would not noticeably affect play between thick and thin string “unless it is a micro yoyo” How ever small vs large String gap does. If you have a throw with a large strig gap a thin string will give you binds that may be too loose. And if you have a throw with a smaller gap a thick string may make your binds too tight, or even make it completely responsive.

2 Likes

5a was Steve Browns slippery eel accident, also he is very much still alive.

garrett on the money. I recently ran into this will a narrow gap throw using kitty fat and just couldn’t get through some triple on type stuff without it binding up on me.

1 Like

Thanks everyone for being so great. I got a few questions. Let me talk about string. Do you generally want to add a thinner string on a smaller size yo-yo and vice versa a larger string such as a kitty fat on a full-size throw? Or is it just a matter of preference?
preference, I personally use thinner strings on smaller throws//narrow gaps
Bearings. Sometimes when I switch a center track bearing out for a regular flat it seems to add a smaller amount of vibration than the ct bearing. is this common? A small amount of vibe generally doesn’t bother me as most of it seems to be tied to my throws not being as consistent and straight as I’d like.
I dont get vibe. I can spot it, sometimes fix it or tune a yoyo to make it not vibe. i still have NO IDEA where it comes from bc I have 3 bvms and 1 of them is dead smooth while 2 arent.

Back to string. Long or short? With the loop on my finger the yo-yo hangs barely just an inch or so above the floor I have noticed some players like to use a much longer string is this just preference?also prior to restringing I will stretch the string out as the bounce tends to bother me a slight bit.
People have been going longer for complex string tricks but its really your height (I tie the knot an inch above my belly button) you will be able to tell when its too long that it bothers you and if its too short. after time you kind of just find that sweet spot atleast I did
Thank you all for taking the time to read these questions. I hope to get to know some of you better as I continue my journey with yo-yoing!
Enjoy and have fun.

1 Like