My YYR experience

Believe me, my wallet’s done for a while after I bought a Soul :rofl:

1 Like

Yikes big bucks lol

1 Like

Speaking of YYR throws, I don’t hear much about the typeface series of yoyos. Would they be considered a marketplace failure?

1 Like

I own Helvetica and Futura and like them. Nothing fancy but the minimal black in black design/ano what I totally love. Futura is my preferred chilling/evening throw.

But do they live up to the YYR reputation? I mean, let’s face it, YYR is not exactly known for “budget” throws, and by their standards, $62 is a rock-bottom price.

1 Like

Definitely not same as the old in Japan produced throws :wink: but solid monometals with a (too) high price tag.
But I like the typeface idea and esthetics way better then most laser engravings and splashes out there. But that is just my taste more tending to minimal looks.

2 Likes

Let’s TYPEface it ahaha, I haven’t tried em, but I feel like they shouldve been a series on their sub brand rebellion

Not exactly Rebellion is cheesy and cheap… u def feel this in ur hand. The typefaces feel better production wise.

2 Likes

Mk1 Yoyos

Also YYF when I started out, it was just so different from the responsives I used before.

3 Likes

General yo

2 Likes

C3yoyo is super underrated . Everything is amazing quality from them .

3 Likes

MFD makes excellent and unique throws. I am a fan

4 Likes

Much like you; I too was curious about these crazy-expensive Japanese throws when they began to show up at YYE. Due to unfavorable exchange-rates, they were even more relatively expensive at the time.

Like you I took the plunge and quickly realized that YYR are expensive for a reason. IMHO, Kengo Kido is the most gifted yo-yo designer of this generation. YYR are the best-performing, highest value yo-yo’s out there. You can spend thousands on other brands; but you will have the best if all you do is buy YYR. Most everything else is second-rate.

Get yourself an Onslaught. There are Chinese YYR and there are Japanese-made YYR. Japanese YYR are the best. They are machined to very high standards.

5 Likes

Oh, I absolutely love my Chopsticks Gorilla. I have always liked smaller yoyos to begin with, this feels perfect play-wise (pretty well past that honeymoon phase). This is my first actual YYR-branded throw, though I do own a Start the Riot (I kind of want another in a different color) and the under talked about Golyat. Oh wait…just remembered, I have a POM and PC Diffusion (POM version I left at work, which is closed until we can get this Covid nonsense under control).

As for “OMG I LOVE THIS BRAND!!11!!” thing, mine had to have been with One Drop and at one time, CLYW. As for CLYW, it started with 2 fools gold, during their time they weren’t making throws overseas. One Drop started with a Benchmark H (2013).

Now, I’m kind of like this with SPYY, wishing I had tried them a long time ago. Had only tried a Stryker and kicking myself today for not buying one when I had the chance…I enjoyed its powerful but small form factor and its smoothness, along with its sharp spikes. Of course, today I can’t find one anywhere even with scouring the BST. Closest I’ll get to it is my Spyder 2 (which is fantastic)

2 Likes

My earliest infatuation with a company was actually Spintastics, I had gotten a Tiger shark G4 and landed my first trapeze so I have a collection of those somewhere, then YoyoJam in the 2000s totally changed what I looked for in a throw, and YYF’s Protostar is still one of my all time favorites. In more recent times after a long break, Reticulated Return Top’s Boa really resonated with me and as soon as I threw it I knew I was buying more haha. Lastly I recently picked up the Mystic and I was instantly a fan of Unspoken project.

4 Likes

I am a YYR fanboy. Really like the Overdrive Draupnir.

2 Likes

I picked up an onslaught during black friday. It’s going to take me some time to really process it, but my early impressions is that this is the one that feels like a modernized draupnir. It definitely feels and plays like I would expect of a super premium YYR.

2 Likes