My yoyo is too responsive. How should I make it less?

My yoyo is too responsive. How should I make it less?

Its an SF yoyo. I think I should take out the response thats in there and pour in some flowable silicone in its place? Just like a small amount… I have done this in the past on a gnarwhal. I used clear and red. I dont know exactly what it was called. Do you guys know what I should look for on amazon? Exactly what the red silicone and the clear one is called that works well as response systems? Thanks.

1 Like

thats my question. I want to make my Stock 2016 duncan freehand less reponsive but use the same narrow c bearing

So when you’re talking about too responsive we talking about like it immediately snaps back to your hand as you throw a sleeper or more like when you try to do a trapeze it’ll snag and thwack your hand as it bunches up string?

When a throw is new you gotta break in your pads, whether that’s silicone or pre manufactured stuff so it’ll be grippy for a bit then smooth out after a bit of time, you can easily remedy it by just doing a bunch of binds till it feels right for you.

If you think it’s the bearing then try either cleaning and running dry which some people don’t like to do, others swear by it, OR you can apply a bit of thin lube after cleaning and throw a bunch of sleepers till the oil is broken in to get it nice and unresponsive.

As for recommendations a lot of people swear by Permatex 22074 Ultra Grey

So you could try getting that, I personally just used whatever red RTV silicone for my throws, and before that was clear window silicone so I would read up on that thread and see what you decide to use if you end up wanting to rip out the stock pads and going with the flow.

2 Likes

But bro, I have yoyo that has broken in pads and still is pretty responsive

Yeah, but reading above you said use were using the thin c bearing right? cause the thinner the gap the more grip you’re going to experience, usually beginner throws come with two bearings for a “Beginner” experience and then “Advance” which is usually a bit wider.

If you’re struggling with trying to get a different bearing then you could try either A removing a single pad and seeing if that helps with the responsiveness, but I’ve never done this with any of my throws so this is me just reaching and trying to find a solution that doesn’t involve money.

Or B If you don’t mind spending a little money, I would say try getting a standard size C bearing and try that out. IF you haven’t already been given one with the throw you’ve bought.

Usually when you get into unresponsive play it can be annoying to learn how to bind so most of the time you’d stick with the thinner bearing and then get used to the responsiveness and then get into doing binds, but that’s whether you want to skip a couple of steps and just get into unresponsive play.

1 Like

I already Play unresponsive, I wanted a semi responsive yoyo but… What is B size bearing?

1 Like

sorry that was like “solution B” not a B size bearing.

Standard bearing size for most throws is C size.

1 Like

ohh ok

1 Like

I have the magic yoyo v8. And when i put in the responsive bearing it’s semi responsive. But here’s the thing. I always drop my yoyo’s so i want a beater yoyo that i can have semi responsive and it’s plastic.

I think there are better people than me to recommend throws, I’m usually bad at trying to explain how some throws feel over others, I do hope somoene is able to help you out soon with picking a good beater that you don’t mind throwing around.

It’s okay. I know people who are bad at explaining so you did pretty well.

1 Like

Try thinner string first. You can also look for harder pads. Then yeah silicone. Permatex is the brand for ultra grey, red and clear. Recess the silicone for even lower response.

@sleeper1 try to clean the bearing and run it dry and see if the freehand is still more responsive than you want.

Uh and yah thinner string also. You can also go only one side pads in. I haven’t personally tried that with a fh but it worked with my whip pretty well to get to a nice semi responsive level.

1 Like

I’ll be honest I can’t help on this thread I hate a simi responsive yoyo I either want it to be tug responsive or completely unresponsive non of that silly inbetween nonsense.

I think Henry is pointing you to your best options clean your bearings forget the lube and try thin string before you play with silicone. If it’s still not there I would add shims to slightly increase the gap. If you’re still not there then try a recessed silicone job and if it’s still just not right then you could fiddle with single pad or something.

Also note thin bearings are not great at long spin times. Most of my slim bearings came slathered in grease and lesser tolerances than a full size c bearing. An acetone bath would do them good if your goal is longer spinning.

1 Like

ive always run into people on this site that like the plastic freehand zero. in 2012 that yoyo was cheap vibey and bad. why do you want it now? whats wrong with metals or otherp plastics?

i never use lube and im not gona change my string for this yoyo. the yoyo isnt new too. you can feel they just put a lot of silicone on it. its def a heavy response system not recessed at all. i think some recessed silicone is all it needs. just bought some of the grey you recommended. thank you.

1 Like

Obviously you can clean it
But being serious what you should do is completely clean it then lube it. If you’ve never seen yoyo tricks tutorial on how to clean your bearings, then it would be very useful to watch it. If you dont have lighter fluid you can just a a paper method (this is on the yoyo tricks tutorial). After that, lube it then your off to go. (Not completely, you need to let the lube spread or it will be responsive for a while)

1 Like

Everything here was spot on. If you clean your bearing in order to get less response out of it, the last thing you want to do is turn around and fill it right back up with lube of any kind, this will make it responsive all over again. Try it clean with no lube and it should become much less responsive. And if it’s still too much, try the thinner string. These methods do work and they don’t do anything destructive to your yo-yo so you can feel safe trying them.

2 Likes

I would try cleaning the bearing. Seriously 9 times out of 10 the problem is with the bearing being dirty or having too much lubricant.

If the problem is still going on then I would try the flowable silicone.

1 Like

I’m using the 2016 freehand not the freehand zero.