My radioactive FHZ

I thought I’d share my FHZ that I made.

I always loved the look of the “Pu” Freehand that came out at a similar time to the MG freehands. I liked it so much that I thought I’d have a go at making one. Here is my Pu FHZ!

It started life as a clear light up FHZ. Firstly, I removed the lights and added a recess to accept silicone.

I then got to work on adding the Plutonium. This part turned out to be quite tricky as the nuclear power plants I got in touch with let me down which was a shame. I then had to find a alternative, so I settled on some glow in the dark powder that is commonly used in resins. Annoyingly, I didn’t take too many pictures of the installation process but I used PVA to paint the inside of the yoyo and sprinkled the powder over it, I did this a couple of times.

I then painted the caps by hand to resemble the “Pu” freehand image. I left the freehand and Duncan logo without paint and used the same powder adding process on these so they would glow.

That’s pretty much it. It added a touch of weight and vibe but nothing major and the response feels good too.

Here are some more photos!

Also, because I didn’t use REAL Plutonium, I didn’t get any hassle from the authorities and my hands didn’t melt off!

35 Likes

This is always a plus when it comes to yoyos :rofl:

6 Likes

Nice! Pretty cool to see people still modding these yo-yos.

4 Likes

Thanks. It’s my first FHZ I’ve modded and I’d like to try a few other things in the future.

I just need more clear FHZs!

4 Likes

Hahahaha!

2 Likes

Haha this is awesome!

3 Likes

I love this thing. Nice work. I was wondering about the glow in the dark powder myself to use on a counter weight. I might give it a go at some point now. I was thinking of using the clear duncan delta (a fav of mine). Painting and powdering the middle layers and hoping the glow absorbs and shines through the plastic.

2 Likes

Thanks for the like!

Go for it! It was pretty straight forward to do. I used PVA glue on the inside and I found that it didn’t want to stick very well on the plastic but I used the powder anyway and gave it a good 24 hours to dry then I applied a second coat to fill in any gaps and it seemed to work fine.

I’d love to see how you get on!

1 Like