My best Boingy Boing 3 months in yo-yoing

I’m roughly 3 months in yo-yoing. This would be my best attempt at Boingy Boing. I welcome critique and tips:

10 Likes

You know what helped me better understand the rhythm of boingy boing was to do this…
Set up like you are doing a boingy boing, then remove your NTH but keep in the same mount. From this point get the yoyo to go back and forth in a smooth motion. Thats all boingy boing is. Let me know if you need a visual aid but try it first

6 Likes

Nice!! - Looks like you are on the right track! and also 3 months in!?? Thats amazing haha - Im pretty sure I was still working on my basic responsive tricks never alone this move LOL

Anyways there are many ways to approach it, I kind of like @hobby_master 's idea of dropping the string from your non throw hand and practicing the motion of doing boing boing from there. That is really the hardest part is mastering the correct rhythm.

I always tell people to keep their Non-throw hand still as possible, and then your throw hand does the work by going up and down (not necessarily fast) (but at a speed that forces the yo-yo to go forward and backwards)

This was personally one of my toughest moves to learn and also teach somebody. - Im chiming into this thread to also see other peoples feedback on how they approach this move. :slight_smile:

Best of luck! - This one is one of my all time favorite moves!

3 Likes

Wow wow wow, very nice progress!

1 Like

It really was the hardest trick for me to get down as I went through the trick ladder up to Spirit Bomb.

Second hardest was Kwijibo. Once you get the rhythm in them, they really are satisfying. I remember quitting cigarettes and just doing boingy boingy for satisfaction.

You’re doing great! Keep at it. The top finger in an up and down motion while the bottom one is still as others have said will get you there. And time, it didn’t come immediately. For some of us it took months to get smooth.

3 Likes

I made a quick video to give you a rough idea what im talking about. Hope it helps (it will)

8 Likes

I still struggle with Boingy Boing, but this looks very helpful. I’m going to try it tomorrow!

3 Likes

A video like the excellent demo above showing how the vertical motion of the hand (instead of swinging back and forth) is what’s needed, helped me the most.

The feeling kind of reminds me of a large rubber band looped between my fingers with my bottom hand held still and the top hand going up and down. The resistance when stretching/boinging up is what’s pushing the yoyo alternately forwards and backwards. The loosening of the boing is what allows the yoyo to continue all the way to the other side before the next boing.

5 Likes

Looking good for 3 months!

A tip from what I watched:
It looks like youre attemting to physically move the yoyo forward/back. The rhythm comes from moving your hand up/down, not moving the yoyo forward/backward. You might have to force it the very first boing, but every boing after should be forced backwards/forwards by the tension of your hand moving up and pulling the string, then will go the opposite way as you move your hand back down creating more slack.

5 Likes

Super helpful comment, you rock!

4 Likes

That was great! You’re doing a very good job for only 3 months in. Keep up the great work

1 Like

I think the best way to really understand the essential up/down motion of the TH is to do a single Barrel Roll motion from the Split Bottom mount and immediately follow up with the reverse motion.

Split Bottom → Underpass → Reverse Underpass back to Split Bottom

The key here is to perform the underpass as a “lift-over” instead really passing under with your NTH index. If you work on this back and forth underpass in quick succession you will work out the up and down motion to perform boings.

Once you are comfortable with quick underpass-reverse-underpass motions, try to do an underpass and reverse-underpass in one motion without the yoyo stopping. That is basically your first boingy-element. From there it’s straight forward, do more and more back-and-forths in one step.

Here’s a video showing the concept:

9 Likes

Thank you Atom! Awesome tip. I know what I’m doing today :blush:

1 Like

Another awesome tip! Thank you Ilyy.

2 Likes