Boingy-Boing help

I really need help on boingy-boing

It takes awhile. Just remember to let everything loose and not force the yoyo up the string. Keep on practicing as it is a timing issue. Once you “feel” that sweet spot, you’ll know you’re doing it right.

Thanks

When I was learning boingy, the advice I was given is it is an up and down motion with your hands, not a back and forth.

let IT tell you the speed of the bounce. Stay relaxed. Adjust your hands together in parallel if and when the yoyo alters its plane and starts to go diagonal. It didnt “click” with me until i got comfy with the split bottom mount.

I feel your pain darknight. Sometimes it hits perfectly but getting those crazy full length slow mo boings are rough

I start it kind with the throw on the rear string and use that inertia to start my first boing then rotate my hands into position.

It takes a knack, for sure.

Some tips:

• it’s definitely an “up and down” and use ONLY your throwhand to do it. The non-throwhand is stationary throughout.

• I had WAY more success unlocking this trick when I tried to go right into it (even when I failed) instead of positioning the yoyo, getting everything set up (but motionless) and then trying to do it. It’s very hard to work up the momentum when you don’t already know the trick. Get yourself into a split bottom mount, NOT the mach-5 shape. Then when you’re ready to give it a try, firmly bring your TH up over the yoyo while moving the NTH under the yoyo.

• “OK, but then it gets nowhere!” you say… When the yoyo is launching forward (or backward… we’ll get to that), if you keep the strings taut for too long, everything will stall. As it gets to the middle, you have to give the strings slack so that it keeps going forward. You do this by bringing your TH back down again.

SO… for each boing, it’s a “pull the trigger” (pull up with the TH) followed very closely by giving the strings slack. This is why boingy-boing has a weird doubled-up look to the throwhand “up and down” motion. You’re always doing two things per boing… sending the yoyo moving, then giving it slack to complete its motion.

• Once you have a successful forward boing, the backwards boing is just the exact same thing. Your hands do the same thing. The yoyo is all the way forward, and you “pull the trigger” to send it flying backwards again. When it reaches the middle (aligned between your hands), you have to give it slack again to complete its motion.

Rinse and repeat.

2 Likes

Not sure if this video will be of any help or aid to what Greg explained above but here’s a slow motion of Boingy Boing, you can see how each time the yoyo is at it’s peak, I “pull the trigger” and give it the boing to go into the opposing string segment. It’s definitely a rhythm you’ll get.

2 Likes

Brett Grimes did a video of this a few years back that really helped me out. What he did to teach it was to start with a split-bottom mount; just begin by trying to pop the yo-yo up into the upper string, then let it fall back down. Repeat.

Sounds easy; but to do this over and over; without going off-kilter is at the heart of boingy-boing. Once you can pop the yo-yo up and down with ease, the rest will soon follow.

Just tilt forward and throw the yo-yo into the string in front. Keep your fingers horizontal; perpendicular to the plane of the strings. You will probably know what to do by then.

1 Like

To the good tips already given above, I’ll emphasize 2 things…

1. split bottom mount with freehand slightly farther away from you than your throwhand
  • this helps the up and down motion of your throwhand translate into the forward-backward boingy motion of the yoyo
  1. as Greg said, freehand is stationary, ONLY move your throwhand, and also ONLY move your throwhand in an up-and-down motion

the first boing is the hardest, the rest is just rhythm

good luck

Thanks