My beginning YoYo journey!

If you pick up the Yoyo with your hand while it’s dead or grab the string close to the Yoyo while it’s sleeping and then bring your throw hand close to the Yoyo, you can see where your tension is at. A perfect U shape is neutral. If the string twists to the right it’s right if it twists to the left it’s loose. Play with that a bit and you’ll figure it out in no time! Glad to hear you’re excited! Nice work sticking through the rough bits!

2 Likes

Righty Tighty - If you throw a sleeper and Sidewinder to the right (string on right side of the yoyo) - Tightens string tension.

Lefty Loosie- If you throw a sleeper and Sidewinder to the left (string on left side of the yoyo) - Loosens string tension.

Throwing right handed tends to tighten the string a half revolution each throw. Opposite for us left handers - each throw loosens the string.

Nuances: If your yoyo is really “snaggy”, tension may be too tight. Conversely, if it is not responsive enough, may be too loose.

Its too early for you to “Know” at this point. But there will come a time you can feel it and tell by how the yoyo is playing.

At this stage, follow GTDropknot’s recommendation above this post.

Doing tricks like Sidewinder, UFO and DNA are always changing string tension. So if just practicing these, always reset your tension.

4 Likes

Is this what you mean… little confused…

String is going right so it’s too tight? Is this what your describing?

2 Likes

I think that’s to the left so it’s too loose but im not exactly sure from the photo. If you start doing sidewinder and it gets more curled up, do the sidewinder the other way until it forms a nice U shape no twists.

3 Likes

The photo is backwards, so with a string is going to the right. Thanks for the clarification. Appreciate it just wanted to make sure I was understanding what you meant.

2 Likes

I compiled a list of the basic/fundamental 1A tricks on here - Yo Elements

I recommend using the Yo Tricks app or the Learn page here, as well as checking out the Sport Ladder.

Since you’re in a responsive phase, stall tricks could be a fun way to go. Learn Stop and Go if you haven’t yet then search for some basic 0A tutorials like these.

3 Likes

Wow. You certainly display the kind of dedication that can lead to quick progress. It is exciting to see your progress. Please keep it up.

7 Likes

I deeply appreciate the reply’s and help guys! Yep I just want to get better faster but I’m enjoying the journey along the way and not tied to any particular destination but going for 1a atm…

My freehand 1 comes tomorrow along with my thick snake bite venom lube for responsive;

I’ve mainly been looping my hornet LIKE CRAZY; learned 5+ new tricks yesterday alone;

I am changing strings everyday cause im putting in an average of 3-5 hours a day in practice. Plus i got 100 kitty strings they are excellent; I’m 6’2 and i dont even have to cut the string default it comes just below my belly button which is nice.

It can be frustrating at times but I’m sticking with it for the long haul!

I can almost do an inner and outer sidewinder; just not nailing the landing(yoyo isnt returning to hand) but I’ve got the motion down;

LOTS of learning and thanks to you all and this wonderful community.

Ok back to practicing :slight_smile:

5 Likes

It’s really great hearing this from you! I quit yoyos altogether for 6 months years ago out of looping frustration. It’s all I wanted to learn when I first got a yoyo. My memory muscle is very, very weak. I got the itch again and got it in my head to learn Brain Twister. I struggled for months with it and all of a sudden one evening it just clicked and I can’t even describe how excited I was. I showed people at work the next day (not impressed and just asked me to walk the dog). I felt like a real yoyoer! A few months later I forced myself to learn how to bind and got it and haven’t looked back! I’m really proud of you, man!

4 Likes

You’re doing great! If you’re attempting to learn trapeze one a hornet, it’s going to be pretty challenging. You’ll be blown away with what you can do on the freehand one. Can’t wait to see more progress! Keep throwing!

3 Likes

Love Machine

2 Likes

Right handed: inner loops loosen, outer loops and hops tighten. Left handed is backwards.

For looping you should be able to feel the torsion, and you should sort of know it’s coming and correct it between sets. You can either pair inner and outer loops or inner loops then hop the fence in equal reps to keep torsion approximately neutral. Other option is to inner loop and then throw inside sidewinder on either hand (yo-yo inside hand) to correct.

3 Likes

Thanks for clarifying that for me …

I’m getting better at feeling if the string is loose or tight still learning curve is kinda steep…

I’m having a big issue that’s come up a lot and I was pretty sure my string tension is or was close to neutral when attempting ;(But maybe not idk)

Whenever I attempt breakaway we will use that as an easy example… happens with other tricks too.

So on breakaway I throw the Yoyo and it immediately snaps back and hits my hand pretty hard or happens when I attempt ufo too; either left or right side toss Yoyo bites me back HARD on ufo

Another example is looping ; I’ll do a forward toss and it will sleep during the toss in mid air a few seconds ;

I am guessing either time to change the strings or it’s a string tension issue ? Could be my technique also.

But basically string either sleeps when I don’t want it to or snaps back super fast.

Kinda stumped :thinking:

I noticed after 2 hours of straight practice today the string is already noticeably worn.

I’m thinking of just putting on a new string everyday since I’m practicing for long periods …

I

This is sounding like a technique issue.

If at any point in the throw with a responsive, there is slack in the string, it returns.

When throwing, you want to keep the string taught between the yoyo and your throw hand.

The tug, to return, gives the string slack for the yoyo to grab and come back.

This is the timing portion. If throwing a Trapeeze, the goal is to keep the yoyo spinning as it lands on the string (Yoyo Sleeping on the end of the string). String needs to remain taught through the whole process.

2 Likes

New strings daily makes sense. Pros in looping generally say string lasts about a half an hour. I’m not changing my strings every half an hour, but you do you.

It’s best to proactively manage torsion and attempt to keep it neutral. If it’s too tight it will respond faster and if it’s too loose it will respond slower. If you’ve watched any looping tutorials you’ve probably seen that the thrower throws sidewinders almost instinctively between demoing.

2 Likes

Strings getting a little frayed is normal but does not mean they are shot and should be thrown in the trash.

3 Likes

Got my freehand 1 and I did brain twister one loop around !!!

I was so excited to get it one time !!!

The freehand 1 is Night and day difference to a hornet wow now I realize why the hornet is a looping Yoyo; everything is way easier on the freehand besides loops of-course a bit harder :slight_smile:

A member made a good point to me to master the basics and get down the muscle memory so that when I do more intermediate and advanced tricks, I have the basics down so I’m gonna not overwhelm myself with 1 million tricks and stick to the basics for a few weeks since I’m just starting I still can’t believe I pulled off brain twister once… actually, I attempted it three times on the freehand one and one of them I did it!!! Also landed my first trapeze on the freehand way. Easier than a hornet. Oh my God. I am absolutely loving this yo-yo. I think I’m just gonna loop on my hornet. Now that I have this one there’s no reason to kill myself doing other tricks with a hornet when the freehand one is just so much easier…. It’s definitely going to be my main yo-yo for a very long time.

6 Likes

I know it’s sloppy but besides the landing which I have to learn better and the actual dynamics of it…

I can’t believe how easier the FH1 is

8 Likes

Nice work!

2 Likes

This is the way

2 Likes