Most durable yoyo(s)

What are your favourite yoyo(s) to use that can withstand the dangerous outside environment; what yoyo(s) would you least mind dinging on concrete. Name a yoyo that you think is the most durable but still plays and holds up well against damage.
My favourites are:

• CLYW Big Dipper
  • Shutter
  • Horizon
    Feel free to comment down below your favourites!
2 Likes

OD Mantis, Smashing Poppet. 7075 ftw

3 Likes

7075 is so expensive now; hard to find one under 90 dollars

1 Like

I’ll second the Mantis. It’s my favorite yoyo, that 7075 ain’t playing around. Well, it is… You know what I mean.

3 Likes

Not really – look at Unprld Abduction, it’s 7075 and $55 at YYE. Or Top Deck, it is also 7075 and $79 at YYE.

I agree that for durability per dollar your best bet is probably monometal 7075? Beyond that, a used titanium maybe :wink:

3 Likes

Can I ask a dumb question? What is a “7075”?

2 Likes

It is a type of aluminum, the most common is 6061.

https://www.clintonaluminum.com/6061-vs-7075/

2 Likes

Is 7075 likely to become the standard grade aluminum for all metal yoyos in the future?

2 Likes

7075 aluminum is a more premium grade of aluminum, because it is stronger and heavier than the current standard, 6061. 6061 is considered the standard because it is cheaper and dense enough for the application.

3 Likes

Oh I forgot about 7068 mono metals which are supposed to be even stronger? See the YYF Ultra series.

Based on my later testing with a concrete and hammer, it is quite difficult to damage plain old 6061 aluminum. The only place damage matters is around the bearing seat where the axle is.

1 Like

The 7075 Metal Skyva is $64.99 USD.

2 Likes

Yeah too bad about those splashes tho

4 Likes

Yeah. I stumbled upon some 7075 Aluminium yoyos under $90. Here is a list

C3YoYoDesign Gungnir - $69.99

YoYoFactory X Turning Point Ex-Machina - $69.99 (Sold out)

C3YoYoDesign Re:Master Galaxy - $65.00 - $75.00

YYF Cyborg 2.0 - (On sale) $44.99

Yicheng Luo L1 Hurricane Retro - $85.00

4 Likes

7075 is rated as having only average corrosion resistance, whereas 6061 is rated as having excellent corrosion resistance. Maybe an important consideration in high humidity environments?

Is 7003 being considered, and if so, what benefits would it be expected to bring (over 7075)?

2 Likes

Yeah in the world of metals things can seem backward. In certain applications where corrosion or fatigue is a factor (usually chemical compatibility issues, but sometimes heat cycling), a metal can be considered TOO hard. The softer metals or alloys of a metal are less brittle and less likely to fail catastrophically.
Enough with the metallurgy lesson nobody asked for :grin:
I think the densities/strengths of 7075 and 7003 are too similar for 7003 to generate any interest in the yo-yo world.

4 Likes

The one yoyo I don’t mind taking a beating is probably the Magicyoyo N12. So cheap but it really isn’t too bad at all and is pretty solid!

4 Likes

Dylan Kowalski has some pretty cool videos where he tests the durability of yo-yos. (Lol)

4 Likes

The answer to that is no.

It may become the standard acceptable grade(be used more often than 6061; perhaps).

7068 has better specs.

A lot depends on what the Market indicates is necessary to perpetuate sales.

If people in large enough numbers; feel that 6061 is inferior and won’t/ don’t buy yoyos made with that alloy; then the Manufacturers will adjust accordingly.((There is No profit in no sales).

If 7068 becomes viewed as ‘upper level stuff’; then 7068 may become the accepted alloy.

To stay within root cost parameters; some Makers may simply use lower cost alloys to pump out most all of their lower price point yoyos.

7075 will be viable for a long time regardless of whatever else comes into play.

Comparing the upper level alloy specs is somewhat pointless above a certain grade. Just because a certain alloy makes a more durable; doesn’t mean it’s the only valid choice. Might be overkill unless you are Totally crazy dangerous with your yoyos.

Think about it. It’s almost like asking, ‘Who is stronger; Superman or Supermans’ son’?

At a certain point; it doesn’t really matter. It will depend on how picky people get and/or how the Makers approach the situation to generate sales.

2 Likes

Yes, we beat one up with a hammer and concrete and documented it all for science here. SPOILER ALERT: turns out, aluminum yoyos are shockingly durable, unless you damage the bearing seats or axle…

Links?

3 Likes

Here’s a couple

Lol

4 Likes