Most Annoying thing non-throwers tell you

I’m the only yoyo player at my school and a lot of people tell me things that annoy the heck out of me

Post your top 3:

Mine:

•that yoyo is a fake it doesn’t come back up

tries to grab string can I try

•You suck I can do better snatches yoyo from my hand, does dumb movements with out the yoyo even spinning, hands back to me with the string all tangled and full of right knots

Nothing unless it is something negative about me throwing. The fact that they take interest makes me happy ;D

2 Likes

Me: Do eli hops to behind the arm eli hops to behind the head eli hops to behind the head and arm eli hops then do a leg wrap trap the behind the back eli hops then flashy laceration type bind.
Non thrower: Can you walk the dog?

6 Likes

“You got too much time on your hands.”

1 Like

Wait I’m not the only thrower that gets that yay I’m so happy but I hate it when I have to explain
“I can’t because it will scratch up and get dinks its metal”

That’s why I’ve started to take a Duncan Butterfly everywhere with me so I don’t scratch up my Trinity

1 Like

THIS

Also, “Can you walk the dog?”

After I do a bunch of crazy shtuff.

1 Like

I show them my $13,500 Rolex watch that I am always wearing and say “yes, yes, I do”.

That usually stops that!

1 Like

That, my friend, is one fancy watch.

As for the topic, not much tends to really bother me. A lot of people don’t know much about yoyos, and as such, are legitimately curious when I show off my crazy YoYo skills. Granted, I won’t walk the dog for them, but I’ll explain why I won’t without getting into a hissy fit.

However, the one thing that really bothers me is when people lunge out and try to mess with the string/YoYo. I tend to play at pretty high speeds, and when someone gets in the way before I can do anything about it, people can get hurt. I put a pretty good bruise on one of my friends hand before because he was being an idiot and decided just to grab the string.

1 Like

I see what you did there :wink:

I hate it when they do that

I don’t mean to sound mean but if I wouldn’t get in trouble I’d probably trip em

Though its cool that only guys do that. girls normally say “oh that was hot” or they give me a hug but never mess with the string/yoyo I really can’t believe that 8TH GRADE guys don’t realize the danger of grabbing a heavy yoyo (don’t mean to be sexist, I’m a guy myself and I’m smart enough not to grab something heavy and going at high speeds) that is going at very high speeds

I just really can’t believe the amount of stupidity they carry

I don’t mean to sound mean but if I wouldn’t get in trouble I’d probably trip em

Though its cool that only guys do that. girls normally say “oh that was hot” or they give me a hug but never mess with the string/yoyo I really can’t believe that 8TH GRADE guys don’t realize the danger of grabbing a heavy yoyo (don’t mean to be sexist, I’m a guy myself and I’m smart enough not to grab something heavy and going at high speeds) that is going at very high speeds

I usually get a “I used to play with that” and then they throw it palm down, and ask why it’s not coming back up on a tug.

1 Like

If you don’t want to walk the dog, why not do an arm grind? It’s just as appealing to the eye.
Almost nothing bothers me. Maybe one of the fewest things is when people think it’s too loud but the yoyo bearing is completely silent. Other than that, everyone’s cool with me throwing.

I guess the teen angst is strong in this thread.

They don’t want an arm grind. wrecking your throw on concrete is much more impressive.

Duh,…

Not everybody knows that modern yoyos aren’t tug responsive, and that walk the dog isn’t hard/practical, or how technical that trick you just did was. Because of this, I don’t really find things that people say too annoying, I just explain what modern throwing consists of, and most people listen and seem pretty interested. A lot of people actually start talking about how there really is a “hardcore” community for everything, or how I have too many hobbies (which I do).

But yeah, I can’t really get annoyed at people when they don’t know anything about yoyos. I usually also carry around a tug responsive plastic for people to mess around with when they ask if they can try. And I’ve never had anybody just grab the string while I’m playing with it, I honestly can’t believe thats even a problem haha

Come to my middle school than you’ll see what I’m talking about :wink:

I had that sort of thing almost happen a few times. When throwing at my kids’ school, there’s often a bold kid who wants to get aggressive about their interest and “demand” they get a shot at it. Seeing as how I don’t want to hand over my yoyo and don’t have a beater for them to beat-ify with me, they often decided they’ll even the odds and go for the string and/or yoyo. While I don’t play fast, I know what kind of hurt a moving yoyo can lay down on someone, mostly through “first hand” experience. I saw the kid going for it, and I forget what I was doing, but, as can be common for me, I ended up messing up but this time on purpose and the yoyo went into a bind and came back at me real fast and hit me hard in the hands. The kid saw the pain he avoided and I think learned his lesson. I just told him that if he wants to learn, please bring your own yoyo and I’ll teach you stuff.

My other experience was a parent who brought me their kid’s yoyo because it wasn’t working, apparently. It didn’t come back with a tug. I told her to let me check it out. So, the next day she brought in a Protostar. I showed her the difference betwee unresponsive and responsive yoyos, and told her there was nothing wrong with the yoyo, it’s just that her kid didn’t know how to do a bind return. I also had a Classic on me that day set up responsive so I could show her the difference. I told her I could teach her kid to do the bind return. I think her kid was frustrated off the yoyo due to not being able to bring it back.

I have to consider that many of the parents are around my age, who either don’t know yoyo, or know a little bit, or played with them a bit as a kid. They have little to no knowledge of “modern yoyo”. I’ve also been accused of being selfish for not sharing. When I usually inform them of the fact that the yoyo I am throwing is metal and cost (insert price), I’m often also called a liar. They’ll accept the fact it’s made of metal, but I will often have to go to the YYE store site and prove it to them. It’s to the point where I choose the yoyo I want to use the night before, then cue up the web browser on my phone to that page in case it comes up. I am finding I have to constantly be prepared to stop everything I’m doing and provide a lesson with a demonstration. With as much as I throw at the school, more and more parents and kids are asking questions. I know there will be a NED show, so I know after that, I’m gonna be flooded with questions and people wanting more information.

If people ask for tricks, if I can do the trick, I do them. If they want walk the dog, I simply explain that I don’t want to nick my yoyo, but if we were over grass, I’d gladly do it. They’ll often ask for rock the baby instead. If I can’t do a trick, I will say so. If I don’t know, I will say so. If they ask me about a NED yoyo, I honestly don’t know their models so I usually ask them to show it to me.

Some people are gonna be jerks. Some will show a real interest. Those are the ones I focus on.

1 Like

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
THIS

Dude, I get so mad when people start messing you up and grabbing your string or interrupt your tricks.

Some kids just have to be idiots.