More questions (New string, sleep time during tricks, bearing cleaning)

First:
I’ve changed the string of my ONE and DM2 and one thing I’ve noticed is that as soon as I start to play with them, they are unresponsive and I have to do an esque-binding and they’re unresponsive for the first 1-2 hours of play and after the string wears off a little, the yoyo becomes more and more responsive.
Is this normal? Do strings have a breakdown period? (I think that’s how you call it)

Second:
Ok, I’ve been practicing my tricks.
Still learning and I’m past the beginner tricks (tho haven’t learned pop the clutch and the creeper) and starting with the intermediate tricks. Anyways, I’m in the Brain-Twister trick and while I can perform it, I’ve noticed I can only do 1 loop. If I try to do 2 or more, the yoyo dies.
This means my sleep time is relativelly short but I’ve noticed the guy in the tutorials and he seems to have an awesome sleep time.
My best sleep time with the stock bearing has been around 35 secs (new string and I added 1 drop of thin oil about 1 month ago)
Is this normal or do you think I’m doing something wrong? I can’t seem to throw the yoyo harder without doing an awkward movement.

Third:
Mineral spirits: any substitute?
You see, my country sux. It is not unusual to NOT find things that seem common on the US. I am a wetshaver and I have to import most of my supplies in the US… except with some that the cost of importing them is higher than the cost of the product (like Witch Hazel).
This is exactly the case of Mineral Spirits! I can’t find them here >:0
So… Mineral spirits: any substitute?

Thanx for your help guys :smiley:

First: Strings do have a break in period. Some people play their strings as long as possible. Strings can become fuzzy and dirty which can effect responsiveness.

Two:Check to see if the strings are rubbing on the sides of the yoyo. Sometimes, especially when learning new tricks, it’s common to have strings rubbing the sides of the yo, slowing it down. As you get better at the trick you will get into and out of it more quickly and the strings will rub the sides of the yoyo less.

Oh… no matter how hard you throw, it isn’t hard enough ;D.

Three: Lighter fluid, diesel, any petroleum based solvent will work.

1 Like

Since you’re on beginner tricks and no doubt on the thinner bearing, I suggest a drop of thick lube. The lube will break down and the yoyo will actually become fairly unresponsive or you can bring it up with a really hard tug. This will become an issue later on. Pop the Clutch/Around The Corner really needs a responsive yoyo to “pop” it, but the rest aren’t so needy in the amount of responsiveness they need as you can control that easier.

Also, what kind of strings are you using?

For me, a string is worn out after a couple of hours of play. But, that can take a bit of time for me because I switch out yoyos rather often so as to force me to develop better technique. Even so, my DM2 is still my most often used yoyo.

You have two choices:
You can practice more and get your technique cleaner(like get those strings lined up properly, it’s tough) or pop in the wider bearing and do a real bind.

The rest will come with practice, so don’t sweat it. The guys and gals in the videos that you’ve been watching have been playing for months or years and it takes time. Don’t rush yourself, but do practice as much as you can. The more you throw, the better things will get. Focus on straight throws. A straight throw is very key. From there, work on strength. You’re getting it, just be patient.

You can use paint thinner, which is what mineral spirits are. I think there may be some differences. How about using lighter fluid? It’s also recommended. There’s also electrical contact cleaner, but it must be a kind that won’t leave residue. You can also use acetone, but that tends to dry very fast and can leave some residue. One individual who actually sells bearings uses dish soap and water to pre-clean bearings as part of a multi-step process. I don’t know his whole process. If you go this route, make sure you dry the bearing completely and as quickly as possible. It’s not a method I would recommend for myself to use though, as I must deal with constant distractions that could take me away from simple projects for hours, days or weeks at a time.

Hope this was of some assistance.

2 Likes

Both your posts are not only of “some assistance” but of enormous help :smiley:
Thank you very much, really!

I’ll pay a visit to the hardware store and buy some thinner. I guess I better be prepared for when the moment to clean the bearing comes :slight_smile:

It’s really awesome to have people as helpful as you :D, I’ll keep throwing so one day I can answer isntead of ask questions hehe :slight_smile:

Thanx again!

P.D. I’m using pro-poly YYE strings.

I use the 100% polyester YYE strings too. I just put in a new one and within a few throws it’s feeling pretty good.

We all have to start somewhere, we all have to learn. It’s the ones who choose to apply what they’ve learned and then give back is what makes the community great. Of course, having new people coming in all the time helps too.