More 90s throws new out of Box

And now I have discovered an unopened Profire axle, pads, string baggie.

I need to buckle down and get this stuff out of my house :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

3 Likes

Ah okay, thank you for the clarification. I suppose the ā€œoreo gadeā€ was simply a factory color swap.

I had thought that it was modified in some way (gap, shape, weight etc) from the original renegade.

Did you ever end up selling any of your awesome collection? Iā€™m pretty sure I PMā€™d you on reddit to come on over to the forums to get those bad boys appraised. Glad you stuck around my friend!

I am still in the where-is-the-time phase of this. I need to complete the inventory first.

Thanks for the tip re: appraisal.

1 Like

Keep them, you seem to love yoyos :smiley:

but Iā€™ll be the first in line if you do want to rid your hands of some of your gems.

2 Likes

Speaking of old yo-yos, if anyone has a couple of these to sell for reasonably cheap

please let me know!

3 Likes

Wait that could be played with a bearing or a wooden axle?

1 Like

Although the Turbo Bumble Bee and derivatives were normally associated with a ball bearing they often came with optional items; a fixed wooden axle, a fixed brass axle and a sliding brass assembly.

For the ball bearing it was also possible to adjust the gap with different thicknesses of bearing seat. These continued into Duncanā€™s ownership of the design.

7 Likes

thats really dope, i had a bumble bee at one point in my life (around middle school, so like early 00s), and i dont remember the accessories only the ball bearing, cuz it was the longest sleeping yoyo i had ever experienced lol

looked just like this

2 Likes

Wow dude you really know your stuff! I had no idea there were actually different sized bearings seats to adjust gap width. Thatā€™s freaking awesome.

I have what is known as niche knowledge. Not useful, not worthwhile, but there it is anyway.

6 Likes

Oh it was very useful today my friend!! :+1::grin::+1:

I had one a nice throw should of remade it

2 Likes

Honestly wish they would.

All it needs is a size c bearing and updated response, and the ability to go halfspec for people that want responsive play.

whatā€™s the appeal with the size C vs the good old size A bearing? im a little out of touch with this stuff, becuase the last time I was into yoyo, I donā€™t even think anyone had put a size C bearing in something yet. or if they did I did not know about it.

I would hope that it would get a more thorough rework than that If youā€™ve ever pulled a Renegade apart then youā€™ll know that they are hardly objects of precision engineering and fine balance.

Observe the internal weighting ring on this early versionā€¦ :face_with_diagonal_mouth:

5 Likes

Haha. I think I owe a lot to the ability to play with any old thing.

1 Like

Size C is just so standard across the board. It gives you the ability to get the gap bigger for unresponsive, but still use a halfspec to play like an A size bearing - the Renegade uses a size B thatā€™s commonly used for loopers. No one used an A sized back then until YYJ I think. The renegade was the bridge from oldschool to midschool.

I would rather a new version of the renegade be pushed towards 1A tricks over looping, since thatā€™s kind of itā€™s history and heritage. Making a new Renegade with a Size B bearing is kinda pointless to me, and going with a Size A kinda feels like it would be the same vibe as a Duncan Freehand.

Thatā€™s kind of the reason I want them to remake it. I donā€™t want something fancy, or something expensive, or for them to make something new. All I want is the same exact renegade with an updated response/bearing system.

Personally, I put the same type of rubber rings under the caps of my Butterfly XT, I think itā€™s genius.

Thatā€™s not rubber though. Thatā€™s a length of metal rod, formed into (roughly) a circleā€¦ give or take. I think the term ā€œcrudeā€ would be generous.

2 Likes

So this was driving me up the wall. I knew I knew about it but couldnā€™t put my finger on it.

I am determined. From Infinite Illusions 2001 catalog(ue).

5 Likes