Casual Throw Retrospective - The Playmaxx Turbo Bumble Bee GT!

I uploaded my first “Retrospective” video in awhile earlier today. It focuses on the yoyo that started it all for me decades (!) ago and got me back into the hobby when I found it in the basement over the holidays… The ProYo/Playmaxx Turbo Bumble Bee GT! Definitely went old school for this one…

I mean, c’mon… Lookit these guts!

9 Likes

I love your reviews of the classics. It’s cool you still have the box and you get a nostalgic feeling with a yoyo you’ve managed to still have after so many years. I like your reviews because you’re like the cool guy down the street with tons of yoyos. I keep expecting that at the end of a review you will ask me if I want some of the cookies you and your wife just made and then we’d go to the living room to watch Seinfeld or The Office.

3 Likes

I’ve got spare pads and bee string if you ever need some. Very nice, I used to have a translucent half red half black back then. All it really ever needed was the 1400th spacer to open up that gap.

3 Likes

Thanks, man! These are probably my favorite ones to do. I think the DM2 is up next but that obviously doesn’t have the same nostalgia for me that the Bee does. Honestly surprised I still have it let alone the box and stuff given the years and the moves since I got it…

And that would be a time, eh? Cookies, yoyos, and a proper sitcom!

2 Likes

Thanks! Will hit you up if/when I exhaust my supply. Bought a nice lot of string/pad packs earlier this year, so we will see how far they go.

2 Likes

It’s looks like it’d be difficult to silicone with that strange shape but who’d want flowable in that since it would probably feel different than the cork, right? It would probably rob the user of an authentic Bumble Bee experience.

2 Likes

The Butterbee was one I meant to get when I was a kid. I put it off in favor of picking up some Magic cards/decks (as it was available at my local card shop). Many years later I picked one up in the form of a Duncan Dragonfly, knowing it’s essentially the same throw but rebranded. I was getting into unresponsive play and realized that I “outgrew” this throw, put it aside thinking it was a beginner’s throw. Earlier this year I pulled it back out, lubed up the bearing and put some string on it. Found it to be a fun “modern responsive” yoyo, thus finding it to be useful once again :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I think it would. The cork, I think, is really a big part of its “soul.” Will silicone if absolutely necessary someday, but gonna ride the corks as long as I can. Unfortunately they don’t last super long. I do prolong things a bit by changing just one at a time.

2 Likes

I really did pretty much the same thing. Picked it back up after a layoff when I got into unresponsives and enjoyed the challenge.

2 Likes

Please let me know if you still have spare strings and pads I’m having a hard time finding them in mine are meh at best…

1 Like

are you the guy that made those flat earth videos?

2 Likes

Me? If so… Nope.

2 Likes

Yes I do. A whole bunch of each. What’s your address?