More 90s throws new out of Box

Just recently got an original Spintasticks Tornado, a Team Loke A-line Cherry Bomb, and a 1998 proyo GR crayon edition.

Been having a lot of fun. The tornado is a great yo-yo. Definite similarities to the turbo bumble bee. Nice weigh hard plastic, speedy. The starburst response just sucks though compared to cork brake pads.

The Cherry Bomb is a lot of fun. Long sleeps good string tricks. The gap width adjustment seems non existent but that’s ok lol

The ProYo GT Crayon is a blast. Identical feel in the hand to a bumble bee GT. Can easily get sleeps up to 15 seconds or so. I almost have no fixed axle yo-yos so it’s a treat experiencing the late 90s version of one.

Now I just really a brass transaxle Profire…

Any retro players on here have any thoughts/fun stories or anecdotes?

12 Likes

13 Likes

Also had to pick up this- 1999 Yomega X Brain Wing neon green.

This was the first yo-yo ever purchased for me and that allowed me to dive into the late 90s yo-yo madness. It’s fun to play it again 22 years later.

13 Likes

You can always make-your-own-Profire with the parts that came with the TBB and variants. I’ve got a bag of them hiding somewhere. Or do you crave the originality ?

Also… are these relics still well thought for play or just for sentimental value ? I quite enjoy these throwbacks but they tend to quickly be replaced in my hand by something slightly more modern.

2 Likes

Neat! I think the x-brain was my first “high performance yoyo”

2 Likes

You are, by the way, tempting me to crack open this bad boy rather than leaving it sealed inna box.

11 Likes

Those are sweet.

1 Like

I can’t speak for the original poster, but ProYo’s are still part of normal rotation.

Meets my looping and shoot the moon needs

2 Likes

Dude that purple X-ray Bee is awesome. I saw one I really wanted on eBay but I think it was listed for like 200 bucks or something.

To answer your question- heck yeah man I ussually get more play time out of my 90s throws than my modern ones.

Also- dude i would love to just make my own Profire with my bumble bee. If you have an extra brass transaxle sitting around you wouldn’t mind parting with then please PM me. I don’t know anywhere to buy that piece.

Yeah, I’d love to mess with that bee.

2 Likes

Man everyone had these back in 97 98 when i was in middle .school

2 Likes

Wow i rememeber this one never tryd

1 Like

Which one are you talking about specifically?

1 Like

The xbrain and tornado

2 Likes

Would this be the sort of Playmaxx care package that would be of interest to you ? :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: I’m sure I can slip this into an envelope for you.

9 Likes

That’s Christmas morning baby!!!

1 Like

For me personally, the Renegade was the only throw from my childhood collection that I still throw regularly.

I’ve always wondered about the “oreo gade” mod and am wondering if anyone has some info for me on what this is and how to do it. Or what other mods might be available to improve a Renegade.

Special shout out to the Butterfly XT which gives me those 90’s vibes.

8 Likes

@StrangeBird when i first met @unklesteve in 1998, 12yo me had him sign these Cherry Bomb caps. I have no idea where their original yoyo is but i still have these. Such a classic when it came to modification out of the package.

@suspense the “oreo gade” mod was actually sold by SuperYo that way. I don’t recall the full history but these two were purchased this way, one was modified a little

I do recall buying them disassembled and not in the typical packaging after the hex nut was discontinued.

4 Likes

Awesome!! Can you explain what the “mods” are that set them apart from the standard renegade? I don’t really know anything about it other than it exists. To my naked eye, the one on the left is simply a white inner cup so I wonder what differences it has? I assume the metal weight ring on the right one did not come from the factory that way.

I should be more clear, the one on the left is stock. I purchased it as is, but was packaged disassembled from a yoyo store. I think it was just called oreo because the color. The one on the right is an oreo that i added Spin Faktor rims to.

1 Like