MonkeyFinger Buff or?

Sigh…no one listens to me these days…

2 Likes

i will be polishing a raw majesty and i will be polishing some anodized stuffs and possibly a plastic or two.

and i will be trying out various products and see what works the best and thank you to those of you that offered good advice and didnt just try to run the thread with SUPERIOR DESTROYABLE knowledge that wasnt really knowledge hehe.

and yoyospirit i did listen that you said you could use buff on the throws that are in the “buff” hehe

i will see about some other stuff that works well too, once i get all things together and ready i will post up what i will be using and what results i get heavy laden with photos. :slight_smile:

Hmm… I wonder what a polished plastic would look like. I’ve never seen one/heard of anyone doing it. Please, show us your results!

im not sure what to expect from it, but there are a few products made strictly for plastics to clean and polish them up.

i know maguires makes a product that looks interesting.

but it might not work at all so we will see, i will get the thread going and start working on different things with some waxes and products to see what is the best and worst of the polishes and cleaners out there.

Hey, I have a great idea. Why doesn’t someone buy some of each, apply two two seperate yoyos and test the differences…wait…

One thing I’ve noticed with the buff is that it actually helps with painted yoyos as well (I paint a lot of my throws), gives it a smoother surface.

2 Likes

I personally asked Monkey Finger at one point if their buff can be used to polish raw yoyos. They said yes, I was referring to Noonar saying the buff can’t be used on raw yoyos lol. Also, what do you mean by “in the buff”? And polished plastic looks like, well, plastic lol Nothing really special there, just look at your FHZ or something.

1 Like

I’m having a hard time understanding how this would make grinds better. Even if it did, it would only be extremely temporary considering it would have to be kind of… “dusty”? But, hearing and seeing that it is a buff that polishes a yoyo, I really do not see how it can be any different from other polishing compounds. Unless, them saying it will return your finish to new-status, I’m guessing they are saying that since you’ve been playing with your yoyos, your greasy hands have been causing the clear-coat to become sticky. The buff would then just be polishing the clear coat…

1 Like

in the buff is a joke for naked and the majesty i have isi raw or “naked” or in the buff, sorry it was a bad joke that obviously wasnt ready to be posted lol.

1 Like

Sigh…what are we all arguing about again? I forgot.

2 Likes

crap didnt mean to thank you meant to quote.
do you not understand how car polish works? it is the very same principle. what causes the car finish to get dull? and what causes the anodized finish to get dull on a yoyo?

and what does a wax/polish do to make those items clean and look new again?

That’s what I’m saying… It polishes the yoyo.

thats not the only thing it does its not solely a polish issue, what makes these things get dull?

I don’t think you understand what I’m getting at… I think when most people hear that this product is going to make a better grinding finish, they assume something like a bead-blast or similar to that. That’s why I showed the pic of my polished ano 54. It shows what a polished anodized yoyo will look like regardless of who makes the polish. Polished ano does not make a better grinding surface, it will, however, make it look new.

But, it will grind well if you’re wearing gloves. So their statement isn’t completely false.

Ok. First. It’s completely absurd to think that MF buff is even remotely similar to mothers. I thought we already established that a long time ago…? Second. As someone already stated, buff = better grinding. Polish = polish. DUH. Have a problem with buff making your yoyo grind better? Why don’t you go and buy some buff and test it yourself.

rant mode off

2 Likes

Haha. Ok. When you find out what the difference between buffing and polishing is, let me know.

wax is a slick compound how will it not make the surface more slick?

it wont stay that for ever but will need to be freshed up, but i see how it would definitely make the surface more slick. you still didnt answer my question. it has relevance.

Sorry. By buff in my post, I meant the MF product, not the process itself.

I think people are getting a little confused. An extremely shiny and polished yoyo will grind HORRIBLY.

how are wax based products not remotely the same? and buff is polish just named “buff”, both items serve as a surface barrier, both are wax based, both improve look (by removing tarnish or contaminants to revive the the surface it is going on) and will improve performance even if only temporarily due to providing a barrier on the surface that has a base of wax…

i guess ranting is just the cool thing to do these days when there isnt much fact behind it :slight_smile: but mothers and monkeyfinger buff are no doubt made up of different stuff the base is the same wax and wax has the same properties across the board…

How do I know they’re different? Take a look at the pic MiamiBuddah posted on the first page. That’s NOT MF buff, and it looks like a terrible grinding surface. On the other hand, I have read other people’s reviews of buff, and they said their grinding times improved significantly. Conclusion? They may both be wax based, but they’re still different. I may have gone a bit out of proportion with “remotely similiar” though ;D

Sorry to necro an extremely old thread - I was just searching for some information on how best to use MFD Buff.

There seems to be some misunderstanding about the difference between a polish and a wax/sealant. The terms are often used interchangeably but they’re actually different things.

Polishing compound contains mild abrasives which are intended to smooth out a surface by removing a fine layer of it. Mothers is a good example of this. Others would be stuff like Autosol metal polish. They may also contain chemicals which are intended to remain on the surface, similar to a wax.

Wax (like MFD Buff) or sealants apply a coating to a surface for various reasons - make it feel smother or look shinier. It does not contain any abrasives, but may have a cleaning effect.

In the car detailing world these distinctions are important, but products advertised to the general public often use the terms incorrectly. Many products sold as car ‘polish’ are actually just a wax or sealant.

Again, apologies for posting on a very old thread - just thought this could use some clarification.

6 Likes