Mod44 Rims

I have a stock Mod44 and want to have some new rims created for me. If you have 3D printed rims for the Mod44, I’d love to see what you created and would be curious if anyone would be willing to print some to sell to me.

I suppose this could also be a thread to show/share the ideas you’ve come up with or created for your Mod44.

4 Likes

Definitely love the thread idea. It’s surprising that there haven’t been many posts here about Mod44 shells / rims. Wayne Ngan has been posting a ton on Instagram under his handle @Layerinfinity and @wayne927 ( website link ) he’s done some pretty sweet stuff so far. His fingerspin shells look super sick. He also sells them on his site if you’re interested.

I’m in the process of rebuilding my 3d printer (waiting on a new main board) hopefully once it’s up and running again I’ll offer up some stuff too!

This past weekend I did a little dye job on some cruiser shells. I’m thinking of doing some more this week in some other colors. I think the coupe shells would look pretty cool in a two tone.

9 Likes

Thanks for the link!! Yeah, and I still have the “ghetto bi-metal” rims designs to put up, at some point :sweat_smile:

I’m bookmarking this thread. Really interested in everyone else’s designs.

5 Likes

The latest stuff. Total weight of the entire yoyo is 54g!

16 Likes

Olive Drab fingerspin rims from @wayne927 hot off the printer. :slightly_smiling_face:

9 Likes

Looks sweet!! Are you able to get it to fit well and play smooth?

4 Likes

Plays great! The fingerspins really are nice with them. Very cool how the middle hub is the bottom of the cup. I installed the smaller O-rings and the fit is just right. I haven’t calibrated flow rate for this filament, so the stock larger rings might be good if I had.

Thanks for sharing!

5 Likes

Freehand cap adapters!

9 Likes

Can’t wait to print these. Thank you!

3 Likes

Have fun! Let me know how it goes.

Be careful that the caps are meant to be SUPER tight, to the point that you probably can’t push them out by hand. I made a video on how to wedge them out from behind.

3 Likes

Freehand cap adapters designed by @wayne927 and custom “TheThrowingGnome” caps designed by me.

Took a couple try’s to get the supports right on the rims and a little post processing, but the fit and play is just right.

Thanks @wayne927!!!

12 Likes

Yooooo that’s sick!! :sunglasses:

3 Likes

Remixed the Butterfly caps by @wayne927 with the Gnome inlay. Printed at 100% infill it comes in at 70.6 g. Doesn’t feel too crazy heavy really and is great unresponsive. Gonna print another set at 44% infill and see if I can get it down around 52 g for half spec responsive play.

10 Likes

Ohhhh!!! Were you able to edit the STL file?

Also what material do you use? Your prints all seem to come out pretty heavy

1 Like

I pulled your .STL into Fusion360, converted the mesh to a body and added the Gnome as an .SVG and cut it and the text into the body by.24mm. Printed at .12mm layer height so it’s recessed by two layers. Printed using white Overture Pro PLA. I’ve found the “Pro” stuff by then it’s quite a bit heavier and stronger than the matte line. Printed nice though. Makes for a powerful H-shape unresponsive that feels kinda like the OD Dat Tire.

Excited to see what the weight will be at 44% infill that’s printing now.

2 Likes

Ahh, 0.12mm layer height is why it’s heavy. I use 0.2mm. Thicker layers leave out more empty space. Thinner layers fill them up.

Heh, those Butterfly rims are pretty beefy! When I first designed them I actually didn’t optimize them to “play well”. It was just for lolz and I didn’t think about releasing them. Even now I still think my own at 65g is too heavy. Lowering the infill is the way to go.

3 Likes

Printed 3 sets of the Butterfly Gnome caps. Printed at 100, 44, and 12% infill and they come in at 70, 58, and 49 grams. Perfect trio for unresponsive, 1A responsive, and 0A. My favorite is the 12% but interestingly the Gnome and letters look best on the 44% and it has the least vibe.

11 Likes

Kudos for using a wall this high for unresponsive :laughing:

2 Likes

It’s a fun challenge. I think it’d be a no go at 60g, but at 70 it’s doable. I’ve been playing them all with a full size bearing.

1 Like

Have you tried half bearings? (Need a shorter axle on the large bearing Mod44) I cannot stand full width bearing for responsive. No matter how much I lube the bearing the response just never catches consistently.

1 Like